Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 05-08-2015, 11:09 AM   #1
1977 Dodge Power Wagon 4x4 Beaver

Hello everyone!
I just purchased a 1977 Dodge 4x4 Power Wagon Beaver Motorhome with a 360 and just under 90,000 miles.

There is a hand full of things that needs to be done to it yet but for what I'm wanting out of it, it shouldn't be that big of an issue to get travel worthy. It has a cracked manifold and the power steering is leaking pretty bad but those should be easy fixes. There seems to be a short on the drivers side headlight since it burned out after being on for 30 seconds too but it is light out until dang near 11 pm now so that's not a huge concern either.

The electrical seems to be a mess but I plan on getting it together enough to get the fridge, heater, and interior lights working off of the bank battery and also be able to be plugged in if available. I started tracking things down last night and have a list of things that need to be replaced already but I'm moving in the right direction.

Hope everyone likes it and I'll try and keep you all updated on progress.

tonw07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2015, 03:44 PM   #2
Loved my '78 Ramcharger, so seeing your model brings back lots of good memories.

Make sure you repack the front wheel bearings. They made 2 styles. One was a manual repacking that took forever as you needed to remove hub and brake calipers, which gave you a good look at how brake pads are doing and the other was, if you remove the tire/wheel and rotate the hub, you'll see a hole in the brake rotor. If you look through the hole and see a zerk fitting somewhere within, at top/back/front(don't remember where located, you can repack front bearings with some squirts of good wheel bearing grease. I used synthetic grease on mine with good results.

Just remember, those 360's aren't know, for good gas milage. You might get 12mpg with what you have.

Also, with the manual hi/lo/neutral shifter, DON'T put the truck in Park and then shift the other to the neutral position, thinking the vehicle is still held by the transmission in park. It will still release the truck's transfer case to be totally freewheeling and truck will roll on it's own.

Also, if yours is stubborn like my Ramcharger was, you might need to shut down the engine to shift transfer case to Lo/Lo range. For Hi transfer to lock in the front diff, you could do it on the fly at up to 40-50mph, but I never went over 30 when I shifted mine into Hi 4-wheel when needed.

Del & Jerre w/Isis our English Bull Terrier
The Cougar's Den
1984 Fleetwood Prowler "E"
JaycoEagle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 04:07 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Vince and Susan
2011 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH (Cummins ISC/Freightliner)
Flat towing a modified 2005 Jeep (Rubicon Wrangler)
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 08:23 PM   #4
Beaver Museum

So a funny thing happened concerning my camper last weekend.

I have been emailing back and forth with a Beaver Motorcoaches employee trying to get more information about my old camper and potentially getting a few parts. The guy I was emailing back and forth with let me know that he has been given all of the history of Beaver Motorcoaches and is planning on opening a Beaver Museum. He has boxes of paperwork, brochures and lots of memorabilia as well as a 1983 Beaver class C and an old Beaver truck slide in camper. The interesting thing was that he said they would love to add mine to their collection and that their plan is to restore everything to new showroom condition!

I thought this camper was on the rare side considering it was special ordered by the Alyeska Pipeline for the work they were doing up here in Alaska in the 70's and this helped confirm that thought a bit.

Either way Beaver has been helpful and very friendly throughout all of the correspondence we have been having and I'm glad I reached out to them!

BTW, I told him I wasn't currently in the market to get rid of this camper and that when/if I was I would get in contact with them.

Perdy Neat.
tonw07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 06:11 PM   #5
Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
That is a pretty awesome chassis mount camper
'92 Dodge W250 "Dually" Power Wagon
KIT 1106 Kamper Slide-in Truck Camper
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote

beaver, dodge, power