Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-12-2019, 08:55 PM   #1

1977 Dodge Sportman

318 motor with three speed transmission
replaced just about everything ON the motor.
was driving funny the alt gauge was bouncing and he started to drive rough acting like it was gonna cut off and luckily got to a safe spot to park him after i cut him off tho he started leaking coolant from one of the hoses on the top of the motor.. water pump was okay...
does anyone have any clue what i’m dealing with ?
my temp and gas gauge don’t work. seemed like i was overheating ... so do i replace the thermostat ?
regardless long story short i can fix this issue and keep pushin or i can swap the motor out and try an get a four speed...
any good crate motors for decent price i should check into?
RoadLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2019, 09:08 PM   #2

You could have water spray onto your distributor or electronic ignition box or the alternator. Get the leak fixed then check your electrical connections and the inside of the distributor cap. Then see how it is.
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 12:12 AM   #3

It possible that a bad thermostat contributed to causing the leak. Heat built up causing increased pressure. A new thermostat is a cheap maintenance item.
IBTripping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 08:27 AM   #4

Make sure the alternator belt is still on and tight enough that it's not slipping
monte433 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 08:46 AM   #5
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
And in the process I would fix the temp gauge even if it was an aftermarket rigged up one. It could prevent you from needing to have the crate motor discussion in the future.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 09:10 AM   #6

that was the first thing i checked
Old 03-13-2019, 09:20 AM   #7

On the back of the instrument cluster there's a voltage limiter that can fail, along with the printed circuit .....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 11:06 AM   #8

I had an old dodge van that had gauge issues and it turned out to be a bad chassis ground. Trace it down and make sure it’s a good clean connection. If it is then you have at least ruled it out. On that same van I also replaced the radiator, thermostat, water pump, and alternator. All at different times and none of them were associated with the funky gauge issue.
tbos1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 11:18 AM   #9

The old ammeters did not fare well back in the 70's, and do not age well.

All the power (Except for headlights, and starter), goes through the ammeter, when they start melting, you will get all kinds on intermittent issues like you describe.

Read these.

Catalog

https://www.allpar.com/history/mopar/electrical.html
Old 03-13-2019, 01:13 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
1977 should be a carbureted engine. If the fuel pump is weak or filter is plugged or it is just tuned too lean then it can make it run hot and overheat.

It can also be from a plugged radiator or a radiator cap that does not hold pressure or from a blown head gasket. When cooled down open the radiator cap, start the engine and look for bubbles. Also look for coolant leaks. If you don't see leaks but coolant keeps dropping it may be being pushed into the engine and burned.

Unless the motorhome is extremely nice for it's age you can probably find a newer, nicer one for less than the cost of a new crate engine.

I had a 1977 Tradesman motorhome new that had a 440 engine that was much better suited to pushing that much weight. If you trade for another or want to swap engines that is the way I would go.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 09:45 AM   #11

so i replaces the thermostat and it seems to be at running temp okay with no issues haven’t driven it yet but sat idle omg for a min . no leaks or anything so thanks for everyone’s input
Old 03-18-2019, 09:10 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadLife View Post
so i replaces the thermostat and it seems to be at running temp okay with no issues haven’t driven it yet but sat idle omg for a min . no leaks or anything so thanks for everyone’s input
Glad it was an easy fix. Thanks for updating us.
IBTripping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 12:15 AM   #13

I bet it's a 360

The famous Dodge 318 (in this case) is most
Likely a 360. Same block different bigger heads
Bigger valves and ports. The best bet is to find
An instrument cluster at a wrecking yard and try that. If that coach sat in the sun for a few years
Then the plastics inside are probably weather
fried. Sun and heat can do damage to older
clusters like yours. As for the leak check and
see if you have a short hose BEHIND the water
pump. It would be about 2 inches long running
To the intake manifold. These are often overlooked during maintenance. Take it to a shop and get a pressure test on the radiator.
Best of luck.
Terry78 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dodge