Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-15-2009, 01:25 AM   #29

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytugs1 View Post
259 views only 21 replies. must be alot of shy folks here
Not shy, just interested yet unable to offer any help. Old stuff fascinates me.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2009, 05:56 AM   #30

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to johnnytugs1 Send a message via Yahoo to johnnytugs1
Quote:
Old stuff fascinates me
then i have to introduce you to my wife.
JT
johnnytugs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 08:20 AM   #31

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
There's a guy on another site that rebuilt the interior of a class C due to water damage. When I find it I will post it, he did a good job.
J
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 10:05 PM   #32

Vintage RV Owners Club
GOLDWINGER2 thank you for your consideration, i can't tell you how much i appreciate your efforts. i will check it out.
JT
Old 12-16-2009, 06:42 AM   #33

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Here is a water damage repair for all to see.
j

Cabover rebuild project
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 02:39 PM   #34

Hi Johnnytugs1. I just got a 77 Itasca just like yours. I lucked out cuz mine just had the engine redone...theres no leaks, and everything still works. Now I gotta figure out how stuff works. I know nothing about RV's
Gene Delong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 08:47 PM   #35

If you are doing your repairs inside a building that is great, otherwise make sure you tarp the roof or something to keep any additional water out.

If you encounter mold you will want to get a respirator and a mold killer. You don't need to be getting sick over this project. They sell protective suits at Home Depot as you don't want to be dragging mold into your house.
leadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 10:28 PM   #36

Vintage RV Owners Club
Thanks Leadman, i'm hoping to keep it clean : )

Hi Gene, thats great any pictures of inside or out yet? i have the stove / oven paper work if u need it maybe the awning, furnace, and refridge paper work as well. i'm jealous keep in touch : ) let me know if i can help. do you have any paper work on / for it did you try anything yet or everything? does everything work? looking forward to chatting with you.
JT
Old 01-18-2011, 10:09 AM   #37

Hello Johnnytugs,A few tips for fixing leaks.
The front windows on most all the older c's and travel trailers were leakers.( have a fifth wheel, same problem.) Be sure you check the seal on the frame and frame to glass. Also both those side windows, fromt seam on roof if your not going to pull the roof. Get a couple rolls of Eternbond and seal everything , all vents and everything that goes through the roof.You'll never have another leak in the roof.
I also see that there are a couple marker light covers missing, Those will leak like a sive. Pull them all off and seal with new buttle calk. When they leak the water will follow the wires right in.
Good luck with your project and keep the pics coming.David
justustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 03:23 PM   #38

the suburban engine will work just fine, 74,000 miles on a r v engine is going to have way more wear then on a car the gearing spins the engine alot faster. You have a good looking rig there lots of potential.
i'm doing about the same on a 1985 midas freeport good luck i know what you are up against
pwf16129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 07:03 PM   #39

If you could get that suburban motor as a package deal, I would go for it. You certainly can't beat the price. My Suburban has 202,000 miles on it and still going strong. It has pulled it's share of loads but it's the transmission that has always given me troubles, not the engine. The only problem the engine has given me was the intake gasket gave way and I got water in the middle cylinder. It cost me $400 to get it fixed along with a complete tune-up. Yours should be fairly easy to pull and reinstall with that front end. Much easier than a class A. Good luck, we're all rooting for you.
QuietWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 02:05 AM   #40

Vintage RV Owners Club
justustwo I will be doing some type of repair to the roof, which, will depend on how much money my wife doesn't spend.
I have a bunch of pics of the motor being taken out i will try to get them up soon.

pwf16129 & QuietWater
the suburban motor didn't work out, i had to take the whole thing and didn't have anywhere to put it. Thanks for the kind words, i really like this motorhome and i'm chomping at the bitt to see it done. that being said i don't see anything happening till the spring. then i will chip away at it.
i pulled the motor and trans, the motor is being resealed & regasketed by a friend of mine. once that is done i will have the trans rebuilt or i may attempt it myself. we will see.
JT
Old 05-21-2011, 07:13 AM   #41

Just bought my first rv 1977 itasca c25c with a chevy drive train cas....has motor problems blown head gasket......not that bad i can handle thAT .......but got all kind of problems ac not working, toilet leaks when flushing,hot water heater not working,small water leak under sink, and major water damage in front looks like front window leaking but its cracked to so got to fiw that ..... and replace all the wood in the over head area celing walls everthing looks bad ..........and floor is spongie around entrance of door .........got alot of work to do but i cant wait to hit the open road...........
texastravler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 08:41 AM   #42
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by texastravler View Post
Just bought my first rv

It sounds like you have your hands full.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote