Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2009, 01:32 AM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to johnnytugs1 Send a message via Yahoo to johnnytugs1
1977 Itasca C25C

Hello all, i have acquired a 1977 itasca C25C with 74k miles and plan on doing a total rebuild on it. i work on a tugboat, 2 weeks on & 2 weeks off so when wifey doesn't have plans for me i will be moving along in 2 week spurts. This is what i have done so far...
found that there are a bunch of leaks from the roof, windows etc. but that doesn't scare me. the engine runs strong but is burning water thru the exhaust. that doesn't scare me either. the transmission only works in reverse.....well that does concern me because i don't know anything about transmissions but i have gotten some good tips on how i may be able to get thru it. the water heater had a 7" rip in it, the potable water system seems to work well. all tanks seem to be sound. the propane system is working as is the furnace, stove & oven. the roof a/c unit works well. the refridge is a sibir and that doesn't seem to be working. i tried electric, gas......nothing. i tried end for ending it every 12 hrs but had to come back to work and didn't get to try it again for 2 weeks (after end for ending it every 12 hrs for 4-5 days). i may give it another try when i return home on the 9th. i pressure tested the cooling system and blew the water pump out with only 4-7 lbs. of pressure. the head gasket or the manifold gasket is leaking.

my plan.....
i'm going to pull the motor and replace all seals & gaskets.
remove all cabinetry and overhead to see whats rotten.
remove all side wall paneling to see whats rotten.

anyone that has any advice, comments or info that may help me feel free to post away .

here is a pic of what it looked like before i got it home

and after i got it home and pressure washed it before wifey got to see it.

oh yeah and put on new "to me" tires so i could tow it home.

i hope this post wasn't to long. below is the link to my photobucket page where you can see more pictures.
My motorhome pictures by johnnytugs1 - Photobucket
thanks,
JT
johnnytugs1@gmail.com
917-842-1809
johnnytugs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2009, 07:16 AM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
All 3 of my uncles work on tugs and they are crazy too! Just kidding, good luck on your project, great pictures. Really only two of them are crazy, the other one is just simple!!
Old 12-01-2009, 08:41 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Hey Tugs1,
I can relate to the pressure washing before the MRS saw it. I know I washed mine a few times after the tow truck left and before my wife got home. And if the work you are doing to it dosen't work out, you just have another anchor, right? lol Les
Old 12-02-2009, 01:15 AM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
FATMANOBX it's not a job it's an adventure do they work on the east coast?

73Indian wifey doesn't share the same enthusiasm that i do as far as motorhomes go. she would love to make it an anchor. well see what she thinks when it's finished. she says she would rather fly and do hotels. i guess we'll have to see what happens. my daughter and i ride off road go karts so i want to use this for our camping end of it. she's not a big fan of tents and out door showers, bugs, animals in the nite. that kind of stuff. i hope to have it ready for early june.
JT
Old 12-02-2009, 06:51 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Glad to have another vintage project on the forum. If you got any questions, just post a picture and of the problem and ask questions.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 11:16 PM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
thank tx, i do have a question actually. i am seeing water damage from a number of places. over the cabover area, below the back escape hatch/bathroom window, under the driverside window near the galley area.the worse being the cabover area. on the other areas it seems that the paneling disintegrated from the backing out. it looks intact till you poke your finger thru. all this being said where should i start? i know from my construction experience that water travels the path of least resistance. i don't know how they built these things & i have been trying to find a video of MH manufacturing but no luck. my guess is to remove the overhead and follow the water stains. what do i have to worry about as far as structural integrity of the unit. i have seen what looks like supports that run across the overhead from the drivers side to passenger side (on a boat they call it athwartship) can i take them off or just remove whats around them. i'm trying to get a game plan together before i get back home.

thanks,
JT
Old 12-03-2009, 07:07 AM   #7

Johnnytugs1,

Good luck with your project. We looked at at similar rig back in 1977, and my memory is that it is really built on a small class A chassis with Winnebago / Itasca then fabricating the front cab from individual components. I seem to remember that the front "hood" is actually fiberglass and pivots from the front, rather than opening like a van.
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 01:43 PM   #8

Texas Boomers Club
JT they live in Washington N.C. and only two of them are still on the boat. My oldest one retired. But Johnny and Melvin are both Capts. Just kidding about your project. I love working on these things. Mine is a little newer, but I have still rip out the living room and dining booth to make it the way I wanted it. Good luck and keep us posted..
Old 12-03-2009, 06:05 PM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
This is going to be an easy one. I restored a 20 ft eldorado back in 1991. I had a bad trans, fixed it. Bad brakes, fixed it. The parts are ez to find. U need to get a chevy one ton van manual. Mine was a dodge, but the big 3 are all similar. The house part is ez to figure out once u drop the panels.
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 07:07 PM   #10

Sounds like a fun project. Im just finishing up the remodel of my 82 winnie brave. It looks like you have a bunch of the same problems I had. I removed the plastic from around the steel supports, removed all the upper cabs and cut as much of the 1/8 ply out as i could, checked the foam to see if it needed replacing. Then started putting new ply back in with contact cement. Oh and I would find where its leaking from outside and fix that first before you do the inside.
TheDubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 11:11 PM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
The Dubs fun? fun is sitting down, drinking a beer and watching the grass grow i'm not sure about finding the leak first & then fixing that because i have a bunch of wood in the cab-over area that is deteriorated an needs replacing. i have seen some pics of other rebuilds on a class "c" and they had to peel back the roof to replace the curve of the front above and below the window. on mine i believe that is the case. so you left the supports up and ripped out everything around it. at some point didn't they have to be removed? to repace what was under them or do they butt up to the metal on the roof?

GOLDWINGER2 from your lips to gods ears! i'm a big fan of easy...somehow i don't think it's gonna go that route. but i'll take it one step at at a time.
fatmanobx no worries, i agree 100% i need my head examined to do this but it's the only way i will beable to afford one. so we'll just hope for the best.
George Schweikle so i'm thinking that is a good thing that it's on a small class "A" chassis? it does (i believe) have a fiberglass nose but it opens in the regular van fashion.
thanks for the replies the more info i get the better plan i will have!
JT
Old 12-03-2009, 11:57 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Jonnytugs1,

Years ago we had a leaky Jamboree class C. I removed the sheet metal roof and saw that the entire roof was made in three sections, with the interior panels and insulation. I replaced them 1 at a time, building them on the ground and flipping them over and installing. Nice new ceiling from end to end. I first supported the hanging cabinets so the walls did not sag. Used 3/16" vinyl covered panels, 2x2's for framing and 20' of seamless aluminum for cover.

Mike
Old 12-04-2009, 06:59 AM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I say easy because there are so many new building products out. Two part epoxies, liquid nails, and other products are great for joining wood plastic and metal. Don't forget metal studding, works real nice. On your engine, blown head gaskets leak into two cylinders adjacent to each other, cracked heads into only one cylinder. Don't repair a crack, purchase a good one and have it rebuilt if it's not fresh. Have you ever done a valve job? Also check your engine fluids for water/oil mixing.
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 06:18 PM   #14

Vintage RV Owners Club
mfire1339 now were talking. can you give me a little more detail of how you got the roof off. did your damage require any of the wall supports to be replaced. how long do you believe the problem existed before you found it. how long did it take for you to complete the project?

GOLDWINGER2 being new to the whole motorhome situation. how would i use epoxy into the rebuild. where would metal studs come into play?
my second cylinder on the drivers side had antifreeze in it but no others. thats not in the plan to replace the heads. i did get a call yesterday a guy (friend of a friend) had a crate motor in a suburban only 30k he wrecked the truck and wants 3-$400.00 for the motor. it is a 4 bolt main. if that will work for me i may try to get the motor, tranny & wiring harness/computer for a decent price. any thoughts. as far as the new building products the best part is being able to get them all in one place
thanks,
JT
p.s. there was no water in the oil.