Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-07-2007, 03:22 PM   #141

Now the doors are off, the middle shelf is out, and a problem or two have been found. First is that the plumbing goes across the front under the bottom shelf, and the heating ducts split right in the middle, also under that shelf. I'll have to rerout those, which means laying new plumbing, and new heating ducts. The other problem is that the 120VAC wiring (as well as the 12VDC) are very short and go forward, making the move of the wiring panel impossible until I'm ready to rewire the rig. On the other hand, I did find a cheap solution to the chair problem when I went out to get my prescription. The drug store was having a half off sale on summer items. I got two of those folding hammock chairs without arms, that normally go for 7.00 each. With one of these in front of the opening that results from the removal of the doors, center pillar, and middle shelf, I can place my feet in the hole, and sit on the chair, giving me a reasonable place to use the computer. When I'm not using the computer, I can fold up the chair and toss it into that same hole. This raises the keyboard way too high on the laptop, but I don't expect to be using the laptop past next week. . .

Dodge 440 in an M500 chassis
Sanjay R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2007, 12:42 PM   #142

OK, I'm looking at the kinds of work I can do on this rig with the kind of cash I have available. It seems that a complete rebuild, although needed, is beyond what I can afford the materials for. The work I'll be able to do in anything like the near future will be a series of patches, perhaps to refurbishing a cabinet at a time. . .maybe. So what do you folks think? Should I close this thread and start a new one called "Patches for Felicity" or should I keep this one, and we will just understand that the complete rebuild will be quite a ways down the road?

Old 09-08-2007, 01:09 PM   #143

I've heard of folks that took 10 years to actively convert buses (unlike my bus which is just sitting in another state ... rusting away... I don't wanna hear no Eagle rustbucket jokes!!! )... So what if it takes you a few years to fix up your RV. You in a race or something?

Bus conversions are never finished. Is it possible that the same can be said for the rehabbed Vintage RVs?
Old 09-08-2007, 03:42 PM   #144

The only reason I moved my thread was I started it in another section thinking the materials for the roof reseal was all that was going to be involved.Once I started the work,I have learned a lot and found the repairs where going to more than I thought so I asked to have it moved.

I think you should keep going with the same thread you have.I have followed what's going on with your project given it's title and I am sure others have as well.It doesn't matter how long it takes to get it done.The main thing about these threads is they end up being a help section for others to learn from.The title over time becomes important.
Old 09-08-2007, 05:46 PM   #145

Speaking of rehabed. . . My cabinet mount for the monitor came in today. drill a couple of holes in the bottom of the cabinet, screw in a few screws, and the monitor is mounted. Oh %%$@%@%$#@ I forgot to take pics of the process!! Oh well, I'll get a pic of the finished product. . .

Old 09-08-2007, 06:40 PM   #146

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sanjay R:
...Oh %%$@%@%$#@ I forgot to take pics of the process!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Old 09-08-2007, 07:11 PM   #147

well the good news is that I got a couple of pics, near the end of the project. With everything that is running under the false floor of the cabinet, I may stop at mounting the keyboard arm and computer. To move the electrical panel, I'll have to rewire the rig (a project in itself), as well as replumbing it. I'll also have to reconfigure the heating vents, and I don't even have a working furnace yet! I can use the folding chair for the time being, if I decide to not deal with all of that mess. . .

Old 09-08-2007, 07:11 PM   #148

Vintage RV Owners Club
Where did you post the pictures buddy??
Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 11:30 AM   #149

I have not posted them yet. They will probably be in a new folder on Picassa, when I get the computer built in. I'm trying to decide if I should call that a stopping place for the nonce, as there is a lot involved in taking out that false floor. I'll take more/better pics of the keyboard install also. I got some bad news last night in that the new computer, which is supposed to come with WiFi, according to the description, did in fact not have this feature. The WiFi was the only reason we bid on it at all, as that is a must have for me. Now it looks like it will cost on the order of an extra hundred to get the parts, and that is if I put them in myself!! To say that I'm a bit upset, is a dangerous understatement. . .

Old 09-09-2007, 12:39 PM   #150

Vintage RV Owners Club
Sorry buddy, I wish you could get a break but I'm in the same boat with mine! Computers can be replaced by a very large pain in the rump!!!
I have one pet peeve about this laptop, It has a rubber mouse stick surrounded by the letters g,h and b! When I am posting or writing it gets in the way and takes my curser And I have to replace the curser and start from there. The big problem is I will forget what message or point I was working on. The same goes for the touch pad. I'm still trying to find the program so I can turn both off! And when i do they will beturned off!!
Old 09-09-2007, 07:55 PM   #151

I have that same problem with my trackpad. That is part of why I want so badly to have the desktop installed and the workstation built in. I'm sitting here looking at the 19" monitor hanging from teh top cabinets, and having to type/work on a 12" monitor on the laptop. . . Grrrrr. Well, the person that helped me get the desktop unit went ahead and installed 1Gb of RAM (the max it will hold), and we found a few sources for the WiFi upgrade parts. All right around $100. . . We will be asking the seller to pay this as he misrepresented the computer in the auction. The keyboard tray still has not shipped, so I'm waiting on that as well. . . If that would get here, at least I could type reasonably.

Old 09-10-2007, 02:01 PM   #152

Vintage RV Owners Club
I took mine down and they disable mine so the wireless mouse is the only one! took about 5 minutes! I also had them check my DVD drive and they replaced it at the same time all, No Charge!! I am really begining to like this place!! Beats Geek Squad!!!!
Old 09-10-2007, 04:24 PM   #153

Dan, just about *anything* beats Geek Squad. . .

Well, so far, the pickup of my keyboard tray has been rescheduled, and yhe main computer, having had the ram maxed out, is expected to be shipped tomorrow. When it gets here, I'll put the larger drive in it, and start the Linux install. All of this is expected to start at the end of this week, maybe by the weekend. Other than that, I'm contemplating several small things I can do to make this a nicer place to live. After getting all the carpet samples off the floor and vacuuming, it is a lot nicer to walk fore and aft. Never did like carpet in here, but most of the floor is small patches. I'd have to make some more big patches to justify putting anything over it other than the carpet after it has been cleaned. Need to get a smaller vacuume, though. Using a 12gal one now, that I already had, from when it was needed in the house my ex and I were living in at the time. Too big for this place, as it only fits in a few larger areas of the floor. . .

I'm blathering. That means that I need to go do something. . .

Old 09-10-2007, 04:38 PM   #154

Vintage RV Owners Club
I'm Blathering,...I would say that its ok!! We went thru several till I found the Vacuum to beat all vacuum's!Its a shop vac in a 1X2 foot box that has doors on each end the hose wands and other attachments all hide behind behind the doors.I like it because it doesn't have any bags and its fast and easy to get it set-up and can get in tight places. I is made by rigid. Found it at Home Depot!
It was around 80 bucks and had a HEPA filter! Anyway, I am real happy with the laptop! It works better than the Compaq did. Sounds like you are gonna have a smok'in computer there! Check in later,