Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-15-2007, 05:10 PM   #169

Lorna, I can understand the jealousy. I'm jealous of me. . . I got one pic of the install of the OS. More would not have enough interest (progress) to take. Drat, I wish I was closer to you. We could trade: I could rebuild your computer, and you could rebuild my base cabinet. . .

For each of us, it would be what we used (still do?) for a living. Tell us what kind of computer, and I'll bet we can find a way to fix it cheap. (well, cheapish)

Cap. I *live* here. They cannot ticket me for having it in my RV. And they would probably be too busy laughing to write me a ticket for not-fishing. . .

Dodge 440 in an M500 chassis
Sanjay R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2007, 06:26 PM   #170

Vintage RV Owners Club
Hope so buddy! We have storms all over and my aircard keeps dropping me so the towers are being affected, I think? Thats the down side. The good is I can get a connection 95% of the time. If you don't mind me asking, What model aircard did you end up getting? I still have the Kyocera KPC-650 and am going to be getting the KPC-689 type a card in November or December. I have a slot for it in my computer and Deb will have the right slot for the express card. We will be using the card in the KR1 router and they already have two different adapters for the express card. We have had Alltel now for 5+ years now and have had fairly good service but the Version and Sprint and At&t is working on one I hear. I'm sure there are more out there?
Sorry to get off track and post, Getting old I think!!

Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 08:08 PM   #171

The WiFi card is an Apple AirPort Extreme which is a built in 802.11g card based on the Broadcom bmc4318 chipset. The cards you are talking about sound like they are PCMCIA based cards. My computer does not have this option. The Mac Mini is a desktop system, with no real upgrade path, beyond memory (which is already maxed out on this unit) and Hard Drive (which I have increased, but it could take a larger one if I could get it at a reasonable price). Even this, Apple recommends that it be done by their techs.

I will be installing teh WiFi card myself, as I have no timidness about taking this computer apart. That *is* what I used to do (and still do to a degree) for a living. On top of that, this unit comes apart fairly easily and in reasonable chunks. The laptop, on the other hand, is a royal PITA to take apart, and you have to strip it all the way down to do something as simple as upgrading the HDD. I know. I did. it came with a 6Gb HDD. . . It has an 80Gb HDD in it now. Also, that is about the largest it will reasonably use, considering that the max RAM on that thing is 320Mb, and the CPU in it is only running at 300Mhz. The new (to me) Mini has a 1.42Ghz CPU with a Max RAM of 1Gb. I have a 100G HDD in it now, and I plan on upgrading the optical drive to the DVD+-RW drive (Apple calls it the SuperDrive) from the DVD ROM/CD-RW that Apple calls the combo drive. By upgrading that, I'll be able to burn DVDs as well as the CDs that I already can. In both cases, I can read both CDs and DVDs. What I like about this computer is that it does everything I want it to do, and I can expect it to for some time to come.

Old 09-16-2007, 04:47 PM   #172

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sanjay R:
... Drat, I wish I was closer to you. We could trade: I could rebuild your computer, and you could rebuild my base cabinet... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That would be great! So move!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Tell us what kind of computer, and I'll bet we can find a way to fix it cheap. (well, cheapish) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My desktop computer was bought in 1999. It's a Compaq 486 running Win98. I think I need a new CPU! I bought a thin LCD monitor last year and a wireless keyboard/mouse set up this year. So the CPU is all I need. Guess I need to start looking at the "deals" online and saving up my $$. I want to run Linux since I really despise Windows. It's got to be better. I bought a couple books on Fedora to read up on it and one has a disk for Fedora Core 5 (2006) with an additional CD of Fedora software packages (including WINE) and the other has Fedora Core Release 2 (2005). Much of the stuff for Linux is downloadable but have you ever tried downloading large files via a cellphone connection? Now you can understand my "computer envy" a little better. At some point I will get a new one.... Maybe for my Birthday .
Old 09-17-2007, 03:52 PM   #173

Lorna, PM or call me. We can get a computer on eBay, and I can install Linux on it for you, and have it all up and running before I ship it to you.

One note on my own computer setup: the keyboard arm came in today. All metal construction, so it is sturdy. The keyboard tray part is *huge* though, and teh track it goes into is ad long as the workstation desk is deep. I'll be doing a bit of "adapting" of my workstation to make everything fit. . .

Old 09-19-2007, 01:29 PM   #174

OK, the keyboard tray is installed. A bit wiggly/flexy but ti still works nice. It pulls out and up enough that I can work somewhat on the bed, for when I'm only hitting it for a few seconds, or I'm doing something else as well. Have not tried it from the makeshift chair situation yet. I did get some pics though. I'll put them up after I try out the chair situation. Works great so far!!

Old 09-19-2007, 03:02 PM   #175

OK, the full set of pics is up. I now have a built in computer station.

Old 09-19-2007, 05:19 PM   #176

Old 09-19-2007, 05:53 PM   #177

As you can see, Lorna, you could have done a much better job on the cabinet work (at the very least, you would not have let the screws puncture the top of the cabinet. . .*sigh*), but I'm happy with the way it turned out. Later, when I have the money to rebuild both the base and the overhead cabinets, I'll redo this job, and line up the monitor to the keyboard at least. When building from scratch, I can construct teh top of the base cabinet any way I want. . .

Like making it deep enough to handle the track for the keyboard, building a cubby for the Mini to sit in, etc. . .

Old 09-19-2007, 08:09 PM   #178

Vintage RV Owners Club
Yeah, Go Man Go!!!!
Old 09-25-2007, 05:20 PM   #179

Of course, I have been so busy playing on the computer (OK, ripping out and rebuilding the Operating System repeatedly) that I have done nothing else on the rig since I got this new toy. One small victory, I found the bit for that strange screw head, and that should be arriving tomorrow. In other news, teh oven in the range died. I'm gonna pull the thermocouple and see if that is the problem. If so, it can be fixed fairly cheaply. If not, it is time for a new range.

Old 09-25-2007, 09:15 PM   #180

Vintage RV Owners Club
It never ends!! If it ain't one thing,its another!! I have been having my own computer problems. i got my wife the new computer as mine was acting up and I helped it out with the funeral. i got a remanufactured model for me. A Dell, and it works great. Problem is hers is Vista and I don't know that much about it. Mine had XP and had a great system. So, I installed Vista in mine and made sure i have the same version she does and got it all upgraded and everything works and while getting into the vista guts found the mistakes in tweets computer and after working only one day it is working great too!! So I have gone nuts with the Vista for sure! Anyway, I am gong down to Alltel to renew my contract and get the KPC-680 air-card!
Anyway thats it for me this week. We are getting ready to make a trip up north with.....the truck!!!! Since the coach isn't even ready to go I am going without it and hope when we get back in a couple of weeks, it is done!! It better be!!!
We will leave here most likely this coming Monday! After Saturday, We will only be checking in as we can! Am looking forward to this! See family and friends! Best of both worlds! Later,Dan
Old 09-28-2007, 11:42 AM   #181

any new developments? Hopefully you have been able to get some work done!

Freebie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 11:41 PM   #182

I might have, if I had the cash for parts. . .