Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-25-2007, 06:55 PM   #15

Vintage RV Owners Club
Hi, SarjayR, You feeling any better? Got the note. Is the Subaru fixable? I hope so! Capt.

Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2007, 12:06 PM   #16

Vintage RV Owners Club
SanjayR, there are people worried for your health and well being! Please let us know that you are ok somehow, Capt. Dan

Old 04-28-2007, 05:36 PM   #17

Vintage RV Owners Club
OK, I heard from SanjayR, He's ok Just working or som'pin!
Old 04-28-2007, 05:53 PM   #18

Good to hear. Hopefully he will be back online soon.
Old 04-30-2007, 04:07 PM   #19

Is this soon enough?

I have been sick for the last two weeks and have not been online much at all. Sorry if anyone was overly concerned by this. I am getting better even as we "speak", so I may be able to start on repairs soon.

Red: I have not painted any part of Felicity YET.

Cap.: I'm not sure which of out rigs is worse off either. Here is what I'm facing with Felicity:
Furnace is inoperable, Parts NLA. I can get (for around 700-800) an Atwood two stage furnace that will heat better and be more efficient at the same time. Because of this, I'm not even looking to find the parts to fix this furnace ONE MORE TIME. . .
The plumbing is good, though the waterheater is small for my likes. Upgrade here is purely optional, as the old one works. I'm not sure if the blade valves are in the plumbing or the waste system, but they need to be replaced as they are leaking. Well, one has already been replaced (the black). the tank level sensors (or perhaps the wiring to the meters) are also bad, and need to be replaced or repaired. Water pressure is weak, but I have a new regulator on it. I'll live with it for now, as this is an easy upgrade.
I do have that hole in the right rear to contend with, and perhaps re-skinning the outside. All of the outside lights (brake, tail, marker, clearance, turn signal, and reverse) are out of commission, and will have to be re-wired, with new fixtures installed. I plan on going to an LED type wherever possible.
My interior floors are all bad, due to poor materials selection at construction time. I could fix the soft spots that I have at this moment, but that would not correct for the problems to come. My subflooring is all 3/4" particle board, and I plan on changing it all out with 3/4" plywood. It is also raised on 2" stringers, and I plan on putting R-13 in there for further insulation. While doing this, I'll be re-wiring the coach electrical and re-running the water supply lines (insulating the hot line) as well as replacing any heater ducts that are not metal. When I have all metal, I will also be insulating these. My roof is not as sturdy as I would like it, so I'll be looking at ways to improve this, along with insulating that space and replacing the ceiling sheets with plastic ones.
My daybed is in need of new foam, as well as new fabric (the old fabric is rotting right off the frame), and the springs in the base of it need to be repaired as well. The captains chairs on the bridge also need upholstery, foam, and a look at the base and mounting.
The fridge is undersized. I have the replacement picked out and will be doing so when I can also rebuild the cabinet it goes into.
Also the LP gas system has an open line behind the fridge where the original one was hooked up. I need to take this out and plug that line. A valve is not good enough for me. I want a cap. In addition, I need to pull the tank so I can get it certified, and put a new pressure regulator and an "Extend-A-Stay" tee so I can use this as a tertiary LP tank. I have two primarys of 20G each.
Then there is the engine. . .
My first guess is that this engine needs a better carb, along with headers to replace the exaust manifolds it has now. Everything south of the manifolds is rusted to the point of looking like swiss cheese. I plan on stripping this engine down to just what it needs to run and not putting anything back on it that is not needed for this. The dash A/C goes. any extra pumps and doodads that are not needed for driving or emmissions, do not get reinstalled. When the engine is stripped of all this extra crap, I'll be able to look at it and see what is really needed to make it go well. Power steering, power brakes, yes, these I'll keep. Cruise control, yup. I'm no fool. . .

With this long list, it must sound like Felicity is a wreck. Little could be further from the truth. All of the plumbing is good (in that it does not leak), the hot water heater works (if it is small), all of the faucets work fine, the stove is real good, the A/C works (even if it is weak), all of the interior lights work, and all of the 120VAC outlets work. I have only noticed one small leak over the winter, and I'll be checking that out with the rest of the roof. All in all, she is a good solid ship. Even at this stage where the engine is so weak that I call her immobile, the engine will run enough to allow me to evacuate if the island floods. That is good enough for now.

Dodge 440 in an M500 chassis
Sanjay R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 04:09 PM   #20

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Capt. Dan:
Is the Subaru fixable? I hope so! Capt. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, Emily is fixable. needs a new front bumper support and the armrest part of the center console.

Old 04-30-2007, 06:09 PM   #21

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sanjay R:...I plan on putting R-13 in there for further insulation... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I hope you're not planning to use the fiberglass batt insulation. If you do, you will not have R-13 due to compression. Use the solid foam sheets (from builder's supply store). That will give you better insulation and more R-Valuse per inch thickness.
Old 04-30-2007, 08:33 PM   #22

Vintage RV Owners Club
Hi buddy, I'm glad to hear you are ok and minimal damage to the Car!! I'm also glad to hear that you are getting over that bug you had!I'll pass that info to our friend and she will then have it. I found out that all the cracks I fixed this last week,all cracked! all fine line and the coach hasn't been moved! Must be heat/cold flex. I'm going to have to get a die grinder from a friend and put a v- grove into those cracks and fiberglass again and see what happens.I pulled wire today for the turn signals on the mirrors. I got to wait till Friday to get that die grinder as I won't have the compressor till Thursday. I got plenty of glass cloth and resin. tomorrow I will replace the air horns and wiper washers And get the wiring done for those signals. Thats all for tomorrow as it is getting hotter all the time! I need to get the wiring hooked up to a 30 amp service so I can use the A/C. I may do that tomorrow first.
Sorry, I got lost for awile?!
I'll get of here so I can get a shower and get ready for tomorrow . Check in later with you. Glad you are back!! Capt.
Old 05-03-2007, 01:52 AM   #23
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Good job guys some good work being done on this Vintage forum.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 06:22 PM   #24

Vintage RV Owners Club
Yep, How goes the battle Sanjay R? Ya feel'in any better?Been kinda busy with the coach and web page so I havn't been here a bunch.Check in later, Capt.
Old 05-06-2007, 10:16 AM   #25

Starting to feel a bit better, yeah. At least I can breathe again. I'll probably be down for the next month and a half, WRT repairs anyway. My spiritual teacher comes to town on June 5 till the 15th, and I'll be doing nothing on anything for the first two weeks of June. If you don't hear from me during that time, know that is where I am. . . Until then, I've gotten real backed up on car repairs while I've been sick, and now they are all wanting my services. That will take most of this month to clear up. And there is also the issue of repairs to Emily, which are still needed.

007, Most of the repairs here have been done by others, as I have done just about squat on Felicity lately. In fact, the things I have done at all have been fairly lightweight. I replaced the black valve, set up an external LP tank system, and replaced a few lights. That is all I have done so far on her. I have made [i]plans[\i] to do a lot more, but they have fallen through due to funding or timing. I'll be getting it done soon enough though.

Old 05-06-2007, 10:33 AM   #26

Vintage RV Owners Club
Hi Buddy, Glad to hear that you are getting better and business is good! I took the weekend off because of the winds. My head feels like a mop all stopped up and driping all over the place.
Tomorrow I got to get busy on the outside again. The wind is supposed to be gone. Have a good one and I will check in later with you, Capt.

PS, I got the pictures set up in Google so now I don't have any restraints. Not as fancy but usable,Dan
Old 05-07-2007, 08:35 AM   #27

Yeah, that is where I put mine as well. Fancy you don't need, as that is what makes them hard to view. I just wanna be able to put pics up (when I have them again) and not worry about how big they are, or how many I can put up.

Old 05-07-2007, 07:11 PM   #28

Vintage RV Owners Club
Yep! I know what you mean! I'm happy. I got the grill out and sanded that ugly silver off and prime and Painted the trim black! I'm going to take the bumpers off and heat and hammer them back straight! Then I'm thinking of sanding and priming and painting them...Black! They will match the truck! I'm having white wagon wheels put on the truck with stainless steel hub covers and chrome lugs! I'm thinking about doing the same theme on the coach! Take those ugly chrome wheel covers off with the plastic lugs that break all the time, and get a set of hub covers and a set of chrome lug nut covers and painting the wheels...White! I've seen trucks that way and not to bad, so I'm going to try it with the motorhome!. Check the link to see those wheel covers and the plastic fake nuts that are used with them covers! The really bad thing with them is..You have to take them all off to check the air pressure and air up the tires! How dumb can they be to make something like that for wheels!!
Anyway, I will be glad to be rid of them.
Anyway, I got to get busy so I will check in later, Capt. Dan