Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-26-2007, 11:04 AM   #43

Vintage RV Owners Club
Hi buddy, I have had that problem too! Sometimes it is a drafting problem that happens when driving down the road. I have to make sure that the toilet has water in the bowl, seems that lets the smell in the tank to travel back into the home. Same thing happens when wind is blowing,same fix. Another thing that does seem to help is this, It's a Camco RV Dual Flush Pro. It runs around $35.00,but it does work. It removes all the nastys out of the tank!! There should be nothing wrong with the chemical you are using. I use a different brand but they all basically do the same thing.You said that you were not That far from Sacramento,if memory serves. If I was right there should be a rv service Center close by that has it or can order it for you. This should fix that and fast. I was having the same problem and with that flush valve you can use a garden hose[Not your fresh water hose], It has a anti back pressure valve built in the it,and I was able to really clean out that tank. Most times because of the way my holding tanks are laid out I can flush out the black tank with the grey water, but sometimes It isn't enough, so this gadget you close the valve, run water from the garden hose too fill the tank and you shut water off and open valve and it flushes out more of the paper and crap out of the tank. Most times I only have to do it once a month as the grey water does it's job but sometimes, Its good to really clean out the black tank. This thing is clear plastic and you can tell when the water is clear.
Anyway, That was my fix. Some of the older coach's didn't have the tanks laid out so that you could do it like mine. Yours may not be able to use grey water to back flush the black water tank. With this valve you can even back flush the grey tank too. I have also found that sometimes it is the grey tank that is making the smell. If you are leaving the grey tank open so that your tank doesn't have water in it, The sewer fumes can vent back into the home and make you think that the black tank is the culprit. I usually leave the grey tank open till Thursday and dump on Saturday and after the dump,I leave the grey open until Thursday. Once a month I use a grey water cleaner in the grey tank. That keeps it sweet smelling.
Glad you checked in and Hope this helps with your problem.I'm sure others out there have had this problem so maybe they can learn more from our posts too!
Know what you mean about the money as we are waiting for our next big check from the business. I heard from Lorna and she is in a cell useless area so fore maybe the next week or two we will not hear much out of her.
OK, I can't think of anything else that isn't on the forum. Hope you are going to get more of the green from whatever money tree you may have. I will check in later, Capt.

Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2007, 12:33 PM   #44

I already have a Valterra RV Hydroflush adapter that goes ont eh end of the sewer pipe (between the hose and the pipe) that is clear. Perhaps if I just get a wand to spray the insides of the blank tank and a good fresh water hose. I already have a good hose there, that can be downgraded to grey so I can use it for those kinds of things. The grey hose I have was leftover at the site, and I took it to be cheap (as the camp director said it was mine if I wanted it). Now is probably time to replace it. I can get the wand (does the same thing as the backflush system you mentioned) for under $10. as this is something that I would only need to use rarely, a built in system would not be indicated unless I traveled a lot.

Dodge 440 in an M500 chassis
Sanjay R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 04:22 PM   #45

Vintage RV Owners Club
Yeah, that should work, I only gave the info because I was telling ya what worked for me but you have most of it so get that wand and have at it. Talk to ya later, Buddy! Capt. dan said it.
Old 05-29-2007, 06:48 PM   #46

Back in the State Park... until we head up to Chattanooga for the concerts. Guess David couldn't handle no TV (just our stash of movies). Dixie RV Park wasn't bad just no amenities.

Sanjay, quit using Oxyclean and Campachem (especially if it's the formaldehyde one) in your tank. You are killing off the good bacteria. I have been using Rid-x only (about 2 oz) in our tanks (don't forget they are only 18 gal each and it's <STRIKE>CHEAP</STRIKE> inexpensive ). Rid-X is only good (anerobic) bacteria and certainly can't hurt to use. Could higher temps be the problem for smell? We're hitting high 90's and we have no smell. It's a good chance that you are killing the anerobic bacteria and the aerobic (ones that thive on air) are building up and they are the ones causing the smell. Have you been putting grease and/or food scraps down the drain? Those are no-nos. You won't totally escape the gases. They occur and sometimes the breezes are very gentle and the gas drifts down to you. It took 2 dumps to get all the chems out of our tanks for the bacteria to do their job right. That's what is working for us.
Old 05-30-2007, 10:41 AM   #47

18 gal eh? I thought mine was bigger than that. I'll have to measure it and feed the numbers into the tank calc that I found online. I still need to get the wand so I can clean the black tank out enough to pull the level sensor. None of them work, and I dunno if it needs to be rewired, replaced, or repaired. Inspection will likely tell me that. It really is not fun checking the level of the black tank visually. . .

Old 05-30-2007, 05:35 PM   #48

Vintage RV Owners Club
Hey Sanjay R., I have been using a chemical called 'Enviro-Chem and is fairly cheap and does a good job of breaking down waste and tissue too! I have used this for almost 8 years and by it in the 5qt size and have a smaller bottle I get once in a while as it has a measurement funnel built in. The 5qt'er is about 25 bucks and lasts with our tank about7-9 months, so thats cheap as I only need 2 oz. per tank. I only use it on the black tank. I use thetfold grey water treatment once a month in the other tank.
Hope things start working for you again. Hello Lorna, good to see you are back in the civilized part of the world again. I will check back later,Capt. Dan
Old 06-13-2007, 01:53 PM   #49

Well, I am beginning to think there is more going on than the need for better chemicals. I used the wand the other day and got some fairly large flakes of stuff that I'm guessing was dried on the sides of the tank before. Now, I'm not fool enough to think that I got all of it the first time. . .

Particularly as water pressure seems to be low right now. Probably because there is more demand and the well pump is not keeping up. . .

Oh, and yes, I am still alive and here. . .

Old 06-13-2007, 06:51 PM   #50

Vintage RV Owners Club
Glad to hear that buddy!! Was wondering if ya was back again. I got new pictures on the photo site, I just posted tonight so they are still wet! Hurting bad as those heads are downright Heavy!! I haven't heard much out of Lorna but I have seen her on-line once in awhile.Shes moving around a bit so that doesn't leave much time for typing on-line! tomorrow I will get the intake in and all torqued up and ready to crank up! I want to hear it before I go through all that trouble of placing all the brackets for the a/c and generator and Power Steering pump. I have had so much time to do this but the winds have been high at times and other projects have taken over as priority. I'm hoping by Friday to start it up. I want to run a flush through the engine and also de-calcify the darn thing. After I have that done, I will drain and install the radiator and fill with anti-freeze. Should be a great week!!
Have fun and hang in there,Buddy. Will check in later, Capt. Dan
Old 06-14-2007, 11:31 AM   #51

Hey Cap, do you have a tub in your rig? If so a hot soak may be indicated. It sounds like you overstressed your back and all the muscles are spasming. Heat, Asprin, and rest are all indicated. Better now than later. If you try to work your back when it's in distress, you risk worse injury. *That* will stay with you for quite some time. Take it from someone who slings engines around for a living. . .

Old 06-14-2007, 12:30 PM   #52

I had forgotten how funky a 1977 Overland was. Bought one in May of 1977 and picked it up at the factory in Orange County. Can you imagine driving that monster north on I5 of Friday afternoon on a holiday weekend?
450Donn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 12:43 PM   #53

Vintage RV Owners Club
I know buddy, I did over do it and the doctors didn't want me to pick up more than 20-25 pds! I was picking up moe than 150 pds and I used to sling up two heads onto my shoulders and walk with them! ****, I'm getting old!!
I'm laying down as I type this as I didn't sleep at all last night. I did finally get to sleep around 6 this morning. I got about 5-6 hours of sleep I guess! Tweet has been rubbing that aspirin based cream on the lower back. And I am taking enough pills to knock out a Mule!!
I don't think I will be starting that motor this week.
Have a good fathers day and I will check in later, Capt.Dan
Old 06-14-2007, 06:48 PM   #54

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 450Donn:
I had forgotten how funky a 1977 Overland was. Bought one in May of 1977 and picked it up at the factory in Orange County. Can you imagine driving that monster north on I5 of Friday afternoon on a holiday weekend? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Oh! you actually had one when new? Cool! Ummm, I don't suppose. . . do you have any of the original documentation that came with it? send me a PM or email please! Oh, and I5 on a holiday weekend should not be too bad. . . Won't be going fast enough to stress the engine. . .

Old 06-14-2007, 08:08 PM   #55

Vintage RV Owners Club
Sanjay R, You be Careful out on that road! I don;t want to have to visit you in a Hospital!
Old 06-16-2007, 06:46 PM   #56

What? I-5? On a holiday weekend it would likely be locked up and looking like a parking lot. . . Hard to get into the hospital at those speeds. . .