Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-30-2007, 08:51 PM   #85

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ahh!!! I got a picture of ya!!! Now I have a picture to go with the post!! And I like the wood cabinets you have in there!! Is that oak or walnut?? That new fridge will make ya feel like you moved into civilization!!!Or the twenty-first century!! That looks great!! I can't wait till I get the kitchen done! It still needs a lot of work, but I will get it done this year or over the winter this year?! Hang in there, Buddy it does get better!!! We can be proud of our labors of love!!! Have a good one, Capt.Dan

Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2007, 11:52 PM   #86

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Capt. Dan:
Ahh!!! I got a picture of ya!!! Now I have a picture to go with the post!! And I like the wood cabinets you have in there!! Is that oak or walnut??
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ummm, polystyrene, actually. . .
Yes, they are PLASTIC!!!
You really have to see them in person to believe just how ugly they really are. . . I have a friend who is a master carpenter, and she has a joiner, and has offered to make real wood doors for all the cabinets if I get teh materials. Can't beat that deal with a stick! I'll probably reface all the cabinets in lighter wood, as these dark colors make me feel like I'm living in a cave. . .

Dodge 440 in an M500 chassis
Sanjay R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 06:19 PM   #87

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ya know, I remember then plastic doors now that you mention it! I'd forgot that they made those out of plastic. I like the grain but like you said, If you had to live in the dark cave like that it would depress the heck out of you! That was the main reason I changed the doors and painted them!
Well, I get to put ours in the shop tomorrow, and move into my daughters old coach! It was sold to a friend of mine but I know what you mean by coffin! That thing is a coffin!! Dark and gloomy!!!! It has the old style roll curtains that are a mix of Brown,reds and yellow and that with dark wood should depress anybody!!
I only have to be in it for maybe three weeks so I will make the best of it! I got to go and plug that coffin in so the fridge can be cold tomorrow! Later all, Capt.Dan
Old 08-03-2007, 03:17 PM   #88

dark brown and green for mine. Gods I hate those colors. . . I was getting flooring for the head at Home Cheapot the other day and stumbled over bamboo flooring. The color is wonderful (just the right mix of rich and light), and they weigh next to nothing compared to the same coverage of hardwood, or even lino. . . I mean *wow*! not only that but it is fairly cheap, both on the environment (wildly renewable), and on the pocket!

Oh, and speaking of flooring. . .

I HATE THIS!!!!!!!!!!!&^#%$@^^!!!!!!!!

I have had the materials to repair my bathroom floor for well over a week now, and I have not been able to get anywhere near it! I need a day to do the job right, and I keep getting sidetracked everytime I try to start it. My Mother In Law (MIL) was just released from a convelescent hospital, and I was the one who had to go and get her, because I'm the only one who could handle her oxygen and wheelchair. I also had to reconfigure her room so her equipment would fit, and I had to teach everyone else in the house how to care for her. That includes my ex-wife who can barely get around herself, and my 14yo daughter, who is now saddled with caring for both of them. . .
Oh, and in between that, the stress is sending me to bed where I spen a day or two at a time curled up in a ball trying to convince myself that I have a right to live at all. . .

I have **got* to get this done this weekend. . .
I'll put pics up as I get them. . .

Old 08-03-2007, 05:24 PM   #89

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sanjay R:
dark brown and green for mine. Gods I hate those colors. . . . </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Same colours that mine was. Oddly enough it was also the same colour scheme in our 1974 apache pop-up... right down to the same plaid seat cushions!!! Even more shocking! I was looking thru a Kitchen & bath specialty magazine... Saw a pic of a NEW avocado green range! It's coming back!

Bamboo flooring.... so if you walk barefoot on it, are you walking barefoot thru the "grass"?

Deep breath and lighten up Sanjay, this too shall pass, it is temporary (everything is temporary). And no I'm not an idiot (like you probably just thought)... just slightly crazy ... gets me thru life.
Old 08-03-2007, 05:38 PM   #90

"this too shall pass". . . Isn't that what the kidney stone said?

Well, the lino tile to cover the 4'x4' section of bathroom that I'm patching weighs a good solid 20 lbs or so, while the bamboo weighs less than ten. . . Yeah, that is what is going into the rest of the rig. you betcha! I'll be starting a new album for the bathroom floor, and any other major projects from here on out. That will just make it a lot easier to manage them. Expect them late next week. . .

Old 08-03-2007, 05:52 PM   #91

I think they add lead to the lino tiles. I put it in our pop-up (the commecial grade stuff). I think I doubled the weight! Also I hated the little lines that attracted all the dirt. Started out with little white lines that became little grey lines, then morphed into black lines. Decided that I would never use the lino tiles ever again.
Old 08-03-2007, 07:53 PM   #92

Vintage RV Owners Club
Thats what I used and it was because it would help with the breathing issues...yeah right! Those little black lines are mold and not to good to breath!!!I used that chemical to remove the mold and its back to black again.
Old 08-03-2007, 10:25 PM   #93

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lorna:

I think they add lead to the lino tiles. I put it in our pop-up (the commecial grade stuff). I think I doubled the weight! Also I hated the little lines that attracted all the dirt. Started out with little white lines that became little grey lines, then morphed into black lines. Decided that I would never use the lino tiles ever again. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I got these because they were cheap, and look halfway decent. white lines that morphed into black? I think the Cap'n is right, that sounds a lot like mold. I'll only be using this for a few years, as I plan on replacing the entire floor at about that time. It is looking like I will need to save up a lot of money to do anything major to the ship. With that in mind, I'll be making the bathroom floor as nice to look at as I can. Probably save up and replace one appliance at a time until I'm ready to start on major structural stuff. . .
After the appliances, I need to:
repair back wall
replace appliances:
furnace
A/C
water heater
replace decking
install floor covering
replace all water lines
repair or repair coach wiring
rebuild all cabinets (with a few modifications)
replace outside paneling and metal skin
repair or replace chassis wiring
rebuild engine and transmission
repair or rebuild genset
find a way to title this beast, as by then it will have no original parts. . .

Old 08-04-2007, 07:42 AM   #94

Nope... it was dirt. Matched the dirt in the campground beautifully. Stuff got trapped in all those little tiny lines and didn't like to leave. Vacuuming is one thing... constant scrubbing to keep the floor clean is another. The whole mess tended to prefer mopping to sweeping. Since I'm domestically challenged I'm not that fond of cleaning floors (or doing laundry, cooking, ironing, etc). Honestly, the ten ton lino tile seemed to attract dirt and didn't want to turn it loose. I would never use that stuff again.
Old 08-04-2007, 09:29 AM   #95

OK, I'm starting the bathroom floor now. Here are a couple of pics as teasers:

This has got to go. NOW!

And this is my motivation to get 'er done. . .

Old 08-04-2007, 12:27 PM   #96

Vintage RV Owners Club
Yep, Try that with carpet!! That was what I had when I started!! Carpet with mold city in the bathroom!! UGH!!! That pattern will look nice I think! Have a good one,Capt!
Old 08-05-2007, 05:44 PM   #97

Vintage RV Owners Club
Hey SanjayR, You got that floor spic-and-span yet??? Hope it is going well!!
Old 08-05-2007, 08:17 PM   #98

I think Sanjay has a helluva project going on!

Keep after it, brother!

so, Sanjay... when you're done with your 3 decade old toy, and I'm done with mine... how do we get them insured for more than scrap value?