Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2007, 08:00 PM   #99

Vintage RV Owners Club
Well????
You have to first find a company that handles rv's like GMAC or Progressive! You need to keep all the receipts and take lots of pictures to document all the repairs and add-ons and hope they know what a rv is! You end up with a assumed value that would cover all the repairs and pieces that you have put in. If you are fulltiming like us, add your personal affects too!! Tools entertainment center. Microwave ect!! Also fishing equipment boat or canoe if you have it and may use it with the rv in question, You have documents for ALL of it!!! Now that you have it get a small safe that will handle high heat like gas fire and flood too! Put in a book all the manuals and pictures so if anything does happen, you can show them the things and pictures,Your company will pay you off and hit the other guy,[ if it is there fault] for a big bill!! I have everything listed with the insurance company[GMAC],Also pictures and all the documents I can find and they are in the safe! Also our wills too! You never know what can happen out there on the road. Just look what happened this week in Minneapolis!! You can't take anything for granted!! Where we live in ours 24-7, we also have a fulltimers policy! It is like a homeowners policy in that it covers you if someones dog comes on to your yard,[space],and mrs. what her buns slips on that dog poop and breaks her leg,you are covered!! Think you don't need that...try living in your rv all the time and you will find out quick! Those diesel owners that are the snobs who don't want the homes ten years or older to be there will try and use that as an excuse to say we are at fault. Heck, I just hope that Sanjay and you would park next to mine as it won't look as good as yours when done!!
Hope you got the answers to those issues! Its a big POS!! But you DO want to cover your back side!! Good luck and I want to see more rebuild pictures!!!! Have a great day, Capt. Dan said it!!!!!!!
Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2007, 05:10 PM   #100

Gee Sanjay, why don't you want to keep the old vinyl? It's sooo purty!
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 08:01 PM   #101

Vintage RV Owners Club
BAD GIRL!!!
Old 08-09-2007, 06:19 PM   #102

Old 08-09-2007, 06:29 PM   #103

Vintage RV Owners Club
Old 08-10-2007, 04:46 PM   #104

Vintage RV Owners Club
SanjayR, You get that floor done or are you "air-conditioned"??
Old 08-10-2007, 09:09 PM   #105

Actually, I just spent a week in the hospital behind a reaction having to do with my disability. I'm feeling better now and I have the screws out of the ring that is mounted to the floor. It looks to be glued to the pipe in the top of the tank, and that may give me problems. I'll read up on it tonight and see what I can come up with re:solutions.

Dodge 440 in an M500 chassis
Sanjay R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 05:59 AM   #106

A Dremel rotary tool is handy to cut out glued in plubing pipes... sometimes. You may want to replace the pipe from the holding tank to the toilet flange due to the "yuk" factor. There is an adapter that is made that will allow you to retro fit a new flange to the existing one. Check with Lowe's or Home Depot for a "retro-fit flange". I don't know if you can use it with an RV flange but I think they are the same has a home unit.
Old 08-11-2007, 02:45 PM   #107

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lorna:
A Dremel rotary tool is handy to cut out glued in plubing pipes... sometimes. You may want to replace the pipe from the holding tank to the toilet flange due to the "yuk" factor. There is an adapter that is made that will allow you to retro fit a new flange to the existing one. Check with Lowe's or Home Depot for a "retro-fit flange". I don't know if you can use it with an RV flange but I think they are the same has a home unit. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The RV flange is not the same as the home unit. Well a very small minority are made that way. . . Mine was not made that way. I spent 4 hours on my feet in several hardware stores (Home Depot, OSH, Lowe's, Ace, etc. . .) before I found one that knew what I was talking about, and they sent me to my RV parts store. Mine was threaded on, not glued, as I was told it was. I destroyed the old one for no reason other than the expert here locally had been doing it the same as in a stick house, and Bob Livinston made no mention of the difference in his RV Repair and Maint. book. I tried to get good advice, was given bad, and it cost me a day, a good deal of pain in my hip, and $10. That is the bad news. The good news is I now know a lot more about how my tanks are set up, and I will not make the same mistake when I repair the entire deck. Some RV flanges are male threaded, to go on the inside of the mating pipe, some are female threaded to thread onto the outside of the pipe (this is what mine is), some slide inside of the pipe with a rubber gasket on the end, and some (very few) are glued in place. I'm gonna take a few more pictures, then start measuring for the placement of the hole that the pipe sticks through. I am making progress, though, so I'm not as steamed as I could be, I guess. . . I wish I had known that the flange screwed on though. as I was trying to pull the flange off, ti made the black tank act like a bellows, pumping that wonderful fragrance through the whole rig. . .

Old 08-11-2007, 05:38 PM   #108

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sanjay R:
... I wish I had known that the flange screwed on though. As I was trying to pull the flange off, it made the black tank act like a bellows, pumping that wonderful fragrance through the whole rig... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm sure it wasn't very pleasant... but I had this mental picture... more like a mini movie... while reading the post and... well I'm sorry but...
Old 08-11-2007, 09:58 PM   #109

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lorna:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sanjay R:
... I wish I had known that the flange screwed on though. As I was trying to pull the flange off, it made the black tank act like a bellows, pumping that wonderful fragrance through the whole rig... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm sure it wasn't very pleasant... but I had this mental picture... more like a mini movie... while reading the post and... well I'm sorry but...
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, you can laugh, but you cannot be sorry for it. Not being able to laugh is what put me in the hospital for a week. It is bearable now. . . the overhead vents stay open until this job is done. *sigh* well it is turning out that the hardest part is getting rid of the old floor. In some areas it is trying to act as if it is very solid, while in others it crumbles into dust. In the solid areas, it is very difficult to cut, as I do not have an easy way to do this without damaging the joists underneath. The new section is cut, and I was able to take a fair amount of pictures too! Now I just have to upload them and put captions in. I may end up having to buy a tool to help in this, which I cannot really afford at this time. . .

Old 08-12-2007, 05:41 AM   #110

about the dremel tool.
I have a couple of them and not that big of a fan of them for various reasons... except when I really really need one!

I bought this tool a while back and found a variety of gizmos to mount on the spindle. I spent less than $75 for everything... I can put grinding (cut-off) wheels, wire wheels, and a disk sanding attachment. It can do a lot of grinding/cutting work in a hurry. Just one drawback... the powerswitch slides to the up and "on" position easily... when you have it clutched between your forearm and ribcage while it's plugged in still!

Inalabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 06:43 AM   #111

It could have been worse. . .

You could have been holding it about 4 inches higher. . .

the tool I need is a wrecking bar (well that is what I know them as), and perhaps a chisel. the wrecking bar is a wide bit of flatstock flared out at both ends. One end had a small bend to angle the "blade" area while the other end turns 90* to another blade. both blades have a small notch so it can be used to pull nails, but it's primary function is like a crowbar that scrapes a layer off a project. I'll probably have to get this tool anyway, as I'll have to be making long standing patches to the rig. Actually, that is the only thing I can do at the moment, as I have no other place to live but the rig, and the marina that I'm at does not allow extensive visible repairs.

Old 08-12-2007, 09:15 AM   #112

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ouch!!! That left a mark!! Helps you to not do that again! Back a few weeks ago, I kinda had a similar experience, in that I had a meltdown of my ring finger!! I had to get my wedding band off some kind of super fast! I forget where the pictures are on my picture site but that one was a emergency visit for sure! I burned about 4-5 layers of skin off! It looked like I could see the bone and tendons! Not good! That will teach me to take off the metal things on my fingers and lower arms too!