Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-16-2007, 10:50 PM   #1

Well, if I can get the gallery to accept the photos that I'm trying to upload, anyway.

I have enough cash to do two of the projects that I need to do in order to get Felicity up and ready. The original subfloor is made of particle board. This is unacceptable in the extreme. I have the cash for the parts to correct that, and I will be collecting them forthwith. The other project is that the fridge in the galley now is one of those "dorm sized" units that you might find in a motel room, or under a bar. If you stack two ice chests on top of each other, you will get an idea of the size of the thing. Ummm, nope. I cannot keep anything frozen in the "freezer" part of this pile of garbage without freezing everything in the fresh food area as well. Not acceptable. It goes. The local Lowes (home improvement store) has a Frigidare Compact fridge that is about the size of a mid range Dometec unit. I do not plan on traveling a great deal in this rig (the cost of gas prohibits it in the near future, at least), so a 110V only unit is just fine for me. Oned other factor is heavily in favor of this over an RV fridge: $250 vs $800. I just can't see spending close to $500 more for features that I'm not likely to use. As soon as I can figure out why the photos site is complaining about the file size of the pictures I'm trying to upload, I put up a few of the current condition of the floor, the fridge I'm replacing, and whatever I have of the process. Felicity has a double floor, so I'm going to use that and put insulation in the space in between. It probably had that before, but with all the holes that have been "patched" in this floor, most of that insulation has disapeared. If what I found in the areas that actually had insulation is what Overland put in, it needs to be replaced anyway. Since I will have to pull the furnace out anyway when I replace the floor, I'll probably just plug that gas line and cover the hole from the outside vent. I will also likely take the line that goes to the fridge area out as well. I won't be needing it, and I do not need to have that extra area available to develop a leak. The floor is the first of the major projects that will need to be done on Felicity. After this there will be the roof and outer walls, then the re-skinning. I will probably have to wait until I can do the re-skinning before doing the outer walls, so I have something to put on top of them to protect them from the weather. Saving up for that will be lots of fun. When I have coach up to snuff, I'll start in the drivetrain. Just because I don't plan on driving Felicity around in the forseeable future is no reason to not make her able to do so. . .

Dodge 440 in an M500 chassis
Sanjay R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2007, 10:50 PM   #2

Well, if I can get the gallery to accept the photos that I'm trying to upload, anyway.

I have enough cash to do two of the projects that I need to do in order to get Felicity up and ready. The original subfloor is made of particle board. This is unacceptable in the extreme. I have the cash for the parts to correct that, and I will be collecting them forthwith. The other project is that the fridge in the galley now is one of those "dorm sized" units that you might find in a motel room, or under a bar. If you stack two ice chests on top of each other, you will get an idea of the size of the thing. Ummm, nope. I cannot keep anything frozen in the "freezer" part of this pile of garbage without freezing everything in the fresh food area as well. Not acceptable. It goes. The local Lowes (home improvement store) has a Frigidare Compact fridge that is about the size of a mid range Dometec unit. I do not plan on traveling a great deal in this rig (the cost of gas prohibits it in the near future, at least), so a 110V only unit is just fine for me. Oned other factor is heavily in favor of this over an RV fridge: $250 vs $800. I just can't see spending close to $500 more for features that I'm not likely to use. As soon as I can figure out why the photos site is complaining about the file size of the pictures I'm trying to upload, I put up a few of the current condition of the floor, the fridge I'm replacing, and whatever I have of the process. Felicity has a double floor, so I'm going to use that and put insulation in the space in between. It probably had that before, but with all the holes that have been "patched" in this floor, most of that insulation has disapeared. If what I found in the areas that actually had insulation is what Overland put in, it needs to be replaced anyway. Since I will have to pull the furnace out anyway when I replace the floor, I'll probably just plug that gas line and cover the hole from the outside vent. I will also likely take the line that goes to the fridge area out as well. I won't be needing it, and I do not need to have that extra area available to develop a leak. The floor is the first of the major projects that will need to be done on Felicity. After this there will be the roof and outer walls, then the re-skinning. I will probably have to wait until I can do the re-skinning before doing the outer walls, so I have something to put on top of them to protect them from the weather. Saving up for that will be lots of fun. When I have coach up to snuff, I'll start in the drivetrain. Just because I don't plan on driving Felicity around in the forseeable future is no reason to not make her able to do so. . .

Old 03-17-2007, 03:23 PM   #3

Sanjay, I did the same thing. Our old gas refrigerator gave out. We bought a nice sized dorm refrigerator to replace it. Works well for us. I will fill it and turn it on the night before we leave. This gets it good and cold. We will add a frozen plastic milk jug inside as we travel down the road. Take it out after we get to where we are going. We also buy most of our grocerys there too. My fridg. door also locks. This is a very good thing to have driving down the road.

We have not done any boondocking yet, but when we do I'll just use my generator to run the fridg. If I don't get into it all the time it should stay cold for a long time without having to run the generator all the time.

I also took the old gas line out. There was no need for it. I pluged it at the tee in the line under the trailer. Oh, I also bolted down the fridg. Mine had two legs up front which I removed and used bolts and a couple of nuts/washers to set the "level" of the fridg. I drilled one hole in the back on the metal bracket that lays flat on the shelf. Ran all my bolts through the shelf and into the fridg's old holes for the legs and my new hole in back.

Most of the time we are staing at RV campgrounds and we never have any problems.
Good Luck.

1964 Ander-ett 16ft
michcruiser60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 06:48 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Hi, Glad to hear ya get a fridge! I would get some good tarps to cover that roof. Good luck with the roof. Thats going to be my next project too!
I don't know about you but I could use more knowledge about what is in that ceiling. Mine has a rubber coating over aluminum with I think plywood and wood studs and the ceiling thats 1/4" luaun. Mine also has some kind of plastic or fiberglass 'half round', that goes around the sides and back. mine has a metal rail on both sides of the half round,with screws in the metal rail that holds everything together. I get to pull the screws and hope i can get a piece of aluminum flashing in and under the rails and fiberglass half round. after that its all downhill from there. A skin cote of glass and sand smooth,prime and paint.Sounds easy,right!
Who was it that said something about best made plans? Well, anyway thats the plan! Good luck Sanjay R. Will check in later, Capt.Dan
Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 07:31 PM   #5

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by michcruiser60:
...My fridg. door also locks. This is a very good thing to have driving down the road... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Lucky you. My little fridge door didn't lock so I attached 1/2 of a strap gate hinge in the same holes the reversible door hinge screwed into. Then I drilled out the hinge pin hole on the tops of the door. A cut off skinny pin type aluminum tent stake works as a lock pin. Now the door for the freezer has a lock.
Old 03-19-2007, 08:09 PM   #6

Well, On the subject of "best laid plans". . .
My ex wife needed to be rescued again, which took some of the money I needed to get this show started, then the exaust blew out on my Subaru, and I do not know hopw much of the remainder I will need to fix that. I do have a couple of high dollar jobs lined up, so the plan is not scrapped in any measure. I just may have to do it in two steps instead of the one I was counting on. The previous owner of this coach replaced the original fridgge with a dorm sized fridge, which turns out to be too small, and poorly designed for RV living. Well, If you go out a lot, or only shop for a day or two at a time. . . I can't do that, so I'll be needing the "compact" type I found at Lowes. It is a 4.4cu-ft unit and looks a bit like the Dometec units I have seen (at least in the size. This one is a lot sleeker and better laid out inside). I also have to clean up the rig and do a goodly bit of laundry before I can take pictures of the inside. Hmmmm, that should give me time to rebuild my bank. . .

Old 03-22-2007, 05:57 PM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ya make me feel good! After the divorce,I've never seen a picture of her or Her..At all!!
The closest I have come to that is MY current wife bouncing the checking account..To mars??!!
I know ..it happens!
I'm setting in my bed, in the Motorhome, It's raining, Wind is a blowing, Home looks like a disaster zone, Glass of ice water, Tv on in the background, I almost feel..Normal Hope yours is that good! Capt.
Old 03-30-2007, 01:26 PM   #8

OK, I got the rig leveled, so there is progress. O do not like the saw the blocks are sitting under the jacks in the front, and I wanna put beefier jacks in the rear, so I'll probably be taking it down and re-jacking it in the near future. Before then, though, I wanna try and get the engine stable (it overheats badly right now), so I can pull out and try leveling the ground under the rig before jacking it up again. I also want to put some boards under thereto serve as an easier access when I need to get under there to work. An example of why I would need to is that my exaust is completely rusted out, and the guages on the black and grey tanks do not work at all. That needs to be fixed soon. I also need to rewire whatever is under there, as everything I can see is just hanging loosely in the breeze. I plan on re-doing it right, even if I have to rewire the entire coach. I may host the pictures elsewhere, to make it easier to getthem up. I'll let you know.

Old 04-18-2007, 04:21 PM   #9

OK, Let the photos begin!!!

I'm hosting the photos on another site to reduce the load on this one. use this link to see anything I put up:
My Photos

Hey, could some of you hit this link to be sure it works for anyone but me? Thanks!!

Old 04-18-2007, 05:50 PM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Hi, I have been doing the same thing. I have a site and If I can do it right,I will post the link here.
http://www.picturetrail.com/homePage/rvtravelers1997

I hope thats right. I'll check it and if it isn't I will try again, Capt.Dan
Yeah!! It worked!!
Old 04-18-2007, 07:15 PM   #11

Both links work fine. Dan's background on his pics makes it hard for me to see. But it may just be my tired eyes.
Old 04-20-2007, 10:48 AM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Sorry about that! I was trying to get the greens from the home. The ones from the flood,I used the lighting because that was the storm that got Dusty in that shape. That green for the rebuild is very close to that green I'm painting in the home.If that is the site that hurts your eyes, maybe I should change that background. Let me know, Capt. Dan
Old 04-20-2007, 12:32 PM   #13

Sanjay, did you paint the front right quarter of Felicity? If so, what kind of paint did you use?

Steve.
Old 04-20-2007, 05:30 PM   #14

Vintage RV Owners Club
SanjayR, I don't know which one of our motorhomes are worse off,But you and I have our work cut out for us! I've been watching the video's as i copy them to DVD.Other than that I'm Just taking it easy.At least we can live in them. And like you and Lorna have said, The price is right!! I have a bunch of work left to do in the kitchen and some in the bathroom too. The sink and faucet and do the painting and it will be done. The Kitchen is a whole different project. It needs new countertops and a faucet, and on the other side I need to build the cabinet and new counter top. I also have to finish the Cabinet for the Micro/Convection oven and the rest of the electric.
After all that, The engine and front-end work and it will be ready for paint. I still have the furnace to fix. The roof to recoat and about 500 other things that need to be finished. Yeah, I got my work cut out for me too. Check in later, Dan