Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-30-2012, 08:30 PM   #15

Some pics

This is the sending unit. I can try to resolder the broken piece back but it's pretty hard to get it to read perfect on empty and full.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3076.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	335.8 KB
ID:	27079   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3078.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	333.8 KB
ID:	27080  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3068.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	531.5 KB
ID:	27081  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2012, 11:59 PM   #16

gica, I'm 99.9% sure this is not a Dodge item.
Dodge, used combo units, fuel pick up would have run through the flange as well as the sending unit wiring. Did you manage a picture from the online seller?
Just a thought, can you measure the tank, then look online, possible the tank and sender has other aplications. Marine comes to mind or school bus, any application where a standard rectangular tank is used.
With the old part and tank dimensions , maybe an auto supply store can help.

Old 10-01-2012, 01:17 AM   #17

This is the ebay link for the dodge one:
Mopar 69 70 71 Dodge RV Motor Home Fuel Sending Unit | eBay
I think mine looks more like a Ford fuel sending unit. Am I supposed to look for a 12v 240-33ohms unit? I saw a bunch of different ones on Amazon.com either marine or just universal ones. Wonder if those would work they get good feedback from people.
Thanks again for all the help.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:26 AM   #18

I don't think the physical construction of the Moeller generic senders' wiper assembly are the same but they may have the same 5-bolt pattern. I get 2.042" across to opposite bolt holes measuring as for lug bolts. If the bolt pattern is the same you could try the Moeller for about $30 w/shipping. There are several models by Moeller on Amazon; they sell the gasket separately if you need that also.

If you want to try the solder trick, measure the ohms of from each end portion to the break first, then measure them soldered together. The sum of the parts should equal the soldered whole, i.e. the wiper should be so many ohms / inch, and a perfect repair would add nothing. Your guess is as good as mine about the solder; mine is that a good joint would hold, and that silver solder would be the ticket, but that's purely a guess by a nobody.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:49 AM   #19

gica, I'm sorry when I said not a Dodge item I was thinking pick up trucks and cars. The unit you have came on a Dodge chassis MH , but the tanks and the sending units were only used there not in any other Dodge vehicle, and may even have been installed after the chassis left the factory. Cut-aways, as we called them, the class C chassis,of your vintage, arrived at our shop with only a 2 1/2 gal. plastic tank. The full size tank was installed by the MH manufacturer.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:51 PM   #20

thanks guys

What's the ohms measurement that I should look for when getting a sender for my RV I noticed they have ones at 0-90, 35-240 ohms etc. Thanks
Old 10-03-2012, 12:00 AM   #21

The reason I ask is the info I found reding this web site
http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php?topic=6104.0
As you can see they give 10ohms full and 73ohms empty.That's really weird.
Also I think my 78 Dodge Apollo is class A don't know the chassis it's M 300,400,500 or 600) haven't figured out yet.I thought class C are on a Van cabin.
Thanks
Old 10-05-2012, 12:42 AM   #22

Ohms measurement

To Engineer Mike or anybody that knows, can you tell me if the Dodge measurement in ohms is the 70 by 10 ohms? Thanks
Old 10-05-2012, 03:19 PM   #23

Figured it out

Makes me feel like I'm hacking the fuel system but I finally figured it out. To check the broken sending unit you connect the multimeter at 2k to power prong(S or whatever it's called)) and to ground(metal casing) and it should read the empty in my case 73.1 ohms and I did measure inside also on the copper looking scale and on the thicker side and ground(metal casing) it measured 10ohms. So I resoldered it all and bend it till I actually got that and between 35-40oms in the middle. It also registers pretty smoothly as I move it up and down. What was throwing the measurement off was the little wire attached to the scale ones I hid that away it didn't make contact with it to always show 73oms(empty). Have to put it back in the tank for the final test hope it works though it would be disappointing if it didn't.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:02 PM   #24

Success

Worked like new once you get a hang of it it's really no big deal to repair these units. Too bad I broke the plastic cover that holds all the electronics including the instruments cluster and air controls on it. It needs to be curved to slide back into the big dash opening and it snapped on the right side. Oh well fix one break another.

Tags
fuel