Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-18-2012, 08:11 AM   #43

Location: Covington, Wa: From Albion, Wa: from Pullman, Wa: from Edgewood, Wa
Send a message via AIM to 88GMCtruck
Been awhile since I've updated this thread hasn't it? I've been busy with many things recently, mostly work and some camping.

To pick things up where I left off...

Tow Vehicle update.... In early march I sold my 99 Silverado. I couldn't justify owning it and my 88 isn't going anywhere, and my 02 has too few miles to sell since it was paid for... After selling the 99, I converted my 88 to 8-lug and installed a 14bolt full floating rear end. A few months later I picked up a TBI454 motor.

After some part collecting, planning, and a great deal of work, I have removed the 200,000 mile, untouched TBI 350 in favor of the 454. After ditching the peanut port heads, flat tappet cam and boat anchor intake, it was fitted to roller mercruiser vortec cam, vortec heads, and edelbrock intake with built TBI on top. After all said and done, it's about 385HP 500FT/LB. During this swap the NV4500 got a new set of syncros, and the truck got full stainless 3" dual exhaust.

As far as the trailer goes...

Pulled the fridge and did some mods. I've always used a small battery powered fridge fan to help circulate the air inside and keep things cool. Instead of dealing with batteries etc, I mounted a 80MM fan inside the fridge on the cooling coils, and to help even more, a 120mm fan in the roof vent for the cooling stack. The switch is a 2-way, left turns on the interior fan and the blue light (cold fan). The right side turns both the inside and outside fan and blue (cold fan) and red light (hot fan). The idea is when it's moderate outside, i'll only need the inside fan to circulate the cool air. When it's hot both will be in use in order to pass more air past the back heating/cooling stack.

A few months ago I sealed up the entire trailer, and finished the LED taillights.

I also found some cheap fabric, and borrowed mom's sewing machine and made up some simple curtains. One of these days I'll be recovering the cushions as well.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2012, 08:15 AM   #44

Earlier this year I also picked up a few Suzuki LT250R quads. Once this happened I started to miss having a 8' bed. Selling the 99 diesel severely decreased the amount of storage space, even though I'm back to what I started with. However with the purchase of the quads, I've created a problem. Hauling 2 quads in the bed of the truck causes me to remove my toolbox, spare tire and well, creates a condition of me not hauling ANYTHING back there except the quads. My first solution was to build a quad rack over the bedrails, similar to a sleddeck for snowmobiles. After measuring everything, with the height of the truck I'd be hitting the front of the trailer. So, another solution ensued.

I had the toolbox from the 99 diesel still, and figured putting it on the trailer tongue would regain a decent amount of lost bed storage, give me more trailer storage, help add a bit more tongue weight and lengthen it a bit which will help in the handling department. I couldn't just add this huge toolbox as is, so the original coupler was cut off, and a piece of 3x3x1/4 box was used to add 2.5' to the tongue. The propane tanks were moved forward, and the wiring was entirely re-worked.

After it was all painted, the toolbox was added. It has mercury lights on the lid, some misc tools, onboard air, and hold the batteries.

Batteries secured to the box with a simple bracket I made

Put a vent in the back of the box for the batteries.

Made a fuel rack on the toolbox lid from aluminum angle. The cans will stay empty 98% of the time, seeing as the extra weight isn't needed when I can fill them up when i'm close to my destination.

After all these mods on the truck and trailer, I headed to the Oregon sand dunes, first time pulling the trailer with the 454.

I then got the quads in the truck, trailer loaded and everything hooked together.

Truck ran great. It pulls, so much torque. I had no problem keeping speed everywhere....

Here is the sand camp. All my toys in one spot!

Next to my buddy's 89 K5

Few shots out in the sand. This thing hauls out there. 454 sounds nice revved up around 5-6k.

Packed up, heading home. Running properly, I netted about 8.1MPG doing about 70MPH most of the way.

Old 10-18-2012, 08:17 AM   #45

Here are pictures from another trip, up in the hills of Mt. Baker Snoqualmie National Park, at the base of Mt. Rainier. The weekend was incredibly warm and beautiful. The truck ran great, pulled the trailer like a champ.

Once I was back home, more mods ensued!

Always finding ways to spend money. Last time I was up at the junkyard, they had a really rusted out, 60's ford camper van. I noticed that it had this brand spankin' new vent/fan installed in it and figured why the heck not. Picked it up for $20. Turns out it's a Shur-Flo Comfort Air Gold roof vent. Pushes 950CFM, is reversible direction, and has adjustable speed.

Out with the original vent.

In with the new

I've been wanting to install a second vent in the bathroom for some time now, as it has pretty bad ventilation having only one window. So, I cleaned up the old vent, marked everything out, blocked the opening and installed the original vent above the shower. It also added a few inches of headroom above the shower.

Old 10-18-2012, 08:19 AM   #46

The most recent trailer purchase! After this summer of adventures, my P rated Cooper tires are about shot. I know, I know, p-rated tires on a trailer. They were intended to be temporary and their replacement being put off entirely too long.... They have adequate load capacity (well over the weight of the trailer) but are quite like balloons. The P sidewalls flex way too much. By the end of this summer, 2 of them have plugs and one has a bulge in the sidewall. I hadn't had a problem and always check pressure before leaving and check temps when I stop. So I've been on the lookout for a set of proper tires.

Last night I picked up these babies.

Maxxis M8008 ST225/75R15 Load D tires. Got them off craigslist for $180 with rims. They are only a few years old and were stored inside, and have almost no treadwear. They seller took them off his 5-er because he's going to be doing a year long cross country trip and wanted new tires. Good for me, these tires are well above the capacity I need for my trailer at 2,500 LBS each.

So I broke down the old tires to clean up the rims (unfortunately the 6-lug wheels won't work for me). They are off-white and have some rust here and there. You can see the difference in the second picture the difference between new and old paint.

Having them mounted and balanced after work today. Then getting ready for some camping this weekend!
Old 10-19-2012, 09:17 PM   #47

Incredible job, 88GMTruck. We are just starting on our 1979 Free Spirit so seeing your progress is really inspiring. BTW... if you decide to redo your cushions. I found a great video on how to properly reupholster cushions. They call it a "short video" but it is 38 minutes long. Here's the vid.
SylviaCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 06:14 AM   #48

Absolutely awesome thread man!! if ya ever get out to the smoky mountains let me know and we will tow the trailers into the park

i have an old 77 wilderness that i WISH could someday be as nice as yours!!

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...pse2b306e2.png
Skip-n-Wendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:31 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by SylviaCub View Post
Incredible job, 88GMTruck. We are just starting on our 1979 Free Spirit so seeing your progress is really inspiring. BTW... if you decide to redo your cushions. I found a great video on how to properly reupholster cushions. They call it a "short video" but it is 38 minutes long. Here's the vid.
Thanks for the link! I'm still pretty novice at sewing, curtains were the first attempt and eventually i'll get around to the cushions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip-n-Wendy View Post
Absolutely awesome thread man!! if ya ever get out to the smoky mountains let me know and we will tow the trailers into the park

i have an old 77 wilderness that i WISH could someday be as nice as yours!!

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...pse2b306e2.png
Thanks for the offer, if I ever make it east it's going to be a big trip for me. most of the camping I do is within 200 miles from my house, considering the cost of fuel etc.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:32 PM   #50

Well had the tires mounted, then headed up to the mountains for some snow camping! I can tell you these tires track so much straighter than the old ones, it's a night and day difference.

It was a nice trip, enjoyed the scenery and weather. Took the trailer places no trailer has probably ever went. Found a nice clearing down narrow muddy, rocky and rutted out trail to camp at. Was such a beautiful place. Saturday night I was using my Firesword (3,000 Lumen LED flashlight) and noticed some eyes, after watching awhile turned out to be a cougar stalking our camp... That was interesting. Anyway, enjoy.

Old 10-22-2012, 05:43 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88GMCtruck View Post
Thanks for the link! I'm still pretty novice at sewing, curtains were the first attempt and eventually i'll get around to the cushions.
Well, welting is not required. The "basting" with staples is a new idea for me seems like it would work nicely. I'm waiting for some thread and some staples before I attempt mine. It's a nice project to work on when it's too cold out to do work inside the trailer.
SylviaCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:20 AM   #52

You had mentioned painting the green stripes and while looking at the great camping pictures, the ones with the truck hooked up got me wondering if the top lighter stripe was the color of the 4X4 sticker on your rear fender an the lower darker green was the color of your truck that may look sweet having a matching rig.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:24 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip-n-Wendy View Post
You had mentioned painting the green stripes and while looking at the great camping pictures, the ones with the truck hooked up got me wondering if the top lighter stripe was the color of the 4X4 sticker on your rear fender an the lower darker green was the color of your truck that may look sweet having a matching rig.
I've decided that when I do it, it'll be a charcoal silver and burgundy. Should work out well
Old 10-25-2012, 05:08 AM   #54

i look forward to seeing pics of the transformation
Old 10-25-2012, 08:44 AM   #55

It won't be till spring for weather related reasons, but it'll definitely make it look newer i'm sure. I'm also trying to find a set of matching aluminum rims for it.
Old 10-26-2012, 05:11 AM   #56

Oh yes matching rims will be the iceing on the cake