Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-26-2012, 03:55 PM   #57

What a great series of posts!. Your dedication to the trailer restoration is awesome. Your camping spots make me jealous! I'll bet your dad is real proud of you with so many talents. Great job!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2012, 03:01 PM   #58

Great thread! I love what you have done with that trailer. I am also glad to see others that camp not at a campground! Keep up the great work!

Old 03-05-2013, 04:08 PM   #59

I just keep coming back to this build! I ah just curious why you went with the insulation you did. I am looking at the foam board style and the old fiberglass style. Any advice would be great!
Old 03-06-2013, 06:36 AM   #60

I think it took me longer to read this whole thread than it did for the sun to come up!
and with that being said, It was great! the pictures really helped..ur awesome in my book! hope to meet ya on the road one day and look forward to seeing the rest of the project come together, i think many of us newbies to the world of rv remodin can look up too you. well done.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:40 PM   #61

Location: Covington, Wa: From Albion, Wa: from Pullman, Wa: from Edgewood, Wa
Send a message via AIM to 88GMCtruck
Thanks guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funrover View Post
I just keep coming back to this build! I ah just curious why you went with the insulation you did. I am looking at the foam board style and the old fiberglass style. Any advice would be great!
The reason I used batt insulation was mostly cost, and I could re-use what was was already installed in the trailer, as well as add to it.

---------------------

I'm very bad about updating my threads. I have a good excuse: I'm in the middle of changing projects at work and in the middle of buying my first house, so a lot of things have taken the back burner for me.

Now, on the last trip, the golf cart batteries were basically on their last legs. Between the heater, water pump and minimal lighting they wouldn't last more than the day. So, before I went on this trip I picked up a new larger pair of 12v marine batteries. I liked the golf cart batteries wired in series to make 12v for the safety factor. Well, their warranty is 3 months free replacement... 12 months pro rated. The new batteries are 12 months free, 3 years prorated. The golf cart ones lasted 2 years, hoping these will last longer.

Had to move the battery hold downs farther out and shorten them due to the differing sizes.

Coupple pictures from some random trips:

Lake Cle Elum, Wa Dec '12. More Snow!

Quincy Lakes, Wa Mar '13. Nothing like lakefront camping!

Old 04-16-2013, 06:15 AM   #62

To save some battery life i have this heater and there was one winter night i had to turn it off it was so warm in the trailer.
Glad to see you still have it and still camping, this is the go to thread to see what is inside our walls and what to expect when we do repairs to ours.
Love the camping pics!
THANKS!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	buddy heater.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	36998  
Old 04-16-2013, 09:28 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip-n-Wendy View Post
To save some battery life i have this heater and there was one winter night i had to turn it off it was so warm in the trailer.
Glad to see you still have it and still camping, this is the go to thread to see what is inside our walls and what to expect when we do repairs to ours.
Love the camping pics!
THANKS!
I've used a buddy heater in there in it roasted us out, and it was snowing that night. I've actually been planning on permanently installing a camco wave heater in there plumbed to the tanks, a friend do mine has one in his camper and it works well.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:12 PM   #64

Hey, 88GMC.

I wanted to let you know where I got my upholstery fabric. Look under "clearance" for the best deals but make sure you read each of the descriptions well. I'll warn you though, tapestry type fabrics unravel and tend to stretch while sewing, I'm seeing $4 to $8 a yard. Be careful of stripes too. They can be a pain to match up and keep straight. This company sends free swatches too.

Discount Upholstery Fabric & Drapery Fabrics Online- Free Samples
Old 04-17-2013, 12:32 PM   #65

Thanks for the link, I will definitely check it out. I've looked at some clearance fabrics online before, just haven't gotten around to getting something. To save on cost I plan to refuse the white vinyl backing on my existing cushions.
Old 04-17-2013, 01:07 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88GMCtruck View Post
Thanks for the link, I will definitely check it out. I've looked at some clearance fabrics online before, just haven't gotten around to getting something. To save on cost I plan to refuse the white vinyl backing on my existing cushions.
That's a really good idea but keep in mind that old vinyl does deteriorate over time. Be very careful taking them apart. Also do your best keep the old "panels" to use as patterns and try to save your zippers too. Mine didn't have the original upholstery so I had to measure cushions and add the seam allowance. It would have made it a lot easier for me if I had the originals. lol

One more thing I discovered that you should probably be aware of. Most upholstery fabrics are 54 inches wide (be sure before you buy), but the pattern repeat can go up the length of the fabric... or up the width (rail road repeat). In my case it was up the width. Had I known that I would have planned for a bit extra. I was lucky though and found some of the same stuff on the roll and the color way was exact match to my clearance piece. Whew! I'm waiting on a zipper foot for my upholstery machine... but I should have at least ONE cushion done before too long. lol

**hold on**... idea forming.

What about canvas drop cloths? You should be able to get those cheaply at Lowes or Home depot. Then if you felt really creative you could use some fabric paint to put a racing stripe... or GMC logo on there. Cushions covered with canvas would definitely be rugged enough for a dude.... just a thought.

http://www.harborfreight.com/9-ft-x-...oth-38109.html
Old 07-01-2013, 03:43 AM   #67

1978 5th wheel

Hi there :
I love looking at your pics. I am new to this site and have not posted my pics yet. I was wondering if you could help me out. I have a1978 Nomad 5th wheel. The lights in the bathroom and bedroom are messed up . Sometimes they go on ,sometimes not and sometimes they are delayed before they go on . I figure the problem with the lights is the fuses or the inverter . The fuses are on the back side of the trailer. Here's the thing,somebody drilled a hole to run some cable threw and it completely drilled through the fuse strength number. I was told it is a 30 fuse but I am not sure . It might also be the switch wiring but I don't think so because all the lights that fuse controls are out not just the one I turn on. The fuse is not dead because I have put new fuses in. Anyway I am on the hunt for the problem and wonder if you can help me in the first step of my search. There are 6 fuses in a row . I was wondering if you can tell me what the fuse strength is for the lights in your trailer and if you have any pics of your inverter panel. I will post pics of my camper but I have to say it was a pleasure to see that old brown paneling and green wallpaper . I had the same in mine. Renovations have been done but certainly not to the extent you have done. Nice work and thank you for you time and consideration .
Jan
Old 08-15-2013, 06:31 AM   #68

Hey GMC you still out there? Just wondering what else you have done to the camper. Did you ever paint the outside of it?
I did a lot to the outside of ours last weekend getting it ready for a few day camping trip.

Prarie54 not shure what your setup is but mine had a 20 amp in it for 12 volt lighting.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	camper paint.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	290.1 KB
ID:	44187  
Old 08-16-2013, 12:29 AM   #69

Wow

What a gem you got on your hands there !! Good for you ! Yep I put all 20's in there and tightened up some connects and it's working,still haven't figured out which belongs to which but it's working so that's good for now lol. Thank You and have fun !
Old 10-08-2013, 04:02 PM   #70

I have been reading through this thread quite a bit since I am basically doing the same that you did, but mine is a class c motorhome. I noticed how you replaced a lot of the interior paneling and am curios about the ceiling. Seeing that you did not remove the upper cabinets did you just cut the new paneling to fit around the outside of them or were you able to get the new ceiling panels inside of them? It would make it much easier to fit it around my cabinets since the ceiling is good inside of them.

94jettaiii is offline   Reply With Quote