Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-26-2015, 11:58 AM   #15

That is the cruise control. doubt you can get just the rubber diaphragm. I think you can still buy a complete AudioVox unit for under 200 bucks.

BTW: That will probably be the most expensive "free" RV you can find. However, you will learn a lot, which will prove to be priceless down the road. I would suggest using this as a learning experience. You have such a small amount invested up front, but you can learn everything you will ever need to know when you shop for your second one. I did that with a boat. Bought it cheap, fixed it up, and sold it. Learned exactly what to look for on my second boat. My second boat is exactly what I wanted and had no surprises.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2015, 06:59 PM   #16

I am not sure of that cruise control unit, but it looks like it uses vacuum, and that may be a problem if it allows the vacuum to be open, it may impact the running of the engine, or the starting of it.

If you fix it, great, but if not, or if you back burner (delay) the repair of it, be sure to do the research you need to assure you plug up any vacuum leak it may cause, till it is repaired.

It is that kind of thing that most do not think or speak about that makes some of the repairs on these old beasts so interesting, as well as so rewarding.

Again, good luck.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 08:49 PM   #17

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks for the feedback. I have been doing my research into the cruise control, and it seems that I can put a stopper in the end of the hose as a temp fix to get it home. I am definitely going to replace it once it's home. As far as I can tell, there are alot of different designs for this style of cruise control, but they all are essentially interchangeable, granted I do my measurements and make sure it expands and contracts to the right ratio. I didn't have time to head down today due to work and whatnot, but I'm heading down tomorrow with a length of fuel line and an empty fuel tank out of an old tractor to see if I can jimmy-rig it enough to get it home.
sethhope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 04:37 PM   #18

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
It just finished a 2 day downpour where im at, so I figured I might as well go into my RV and assess the extent of the water damage... Nothing new. Just the ol leaky vents. Got some closeups to post here just to keep this thread alive.

Also, as for that little white box next to the passenger seat... any ideas on what it is? Just seems to have a little black toggle on it...

P.S. found a few 8 tracks under the dash. Thats a plus, right?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1435617298286.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	98700   Click image for larger version

Name:	1435617320965.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	98701  

Name:	1435617443054.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	98702   Click image for larger version

Name:	1435617458212.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	98703  

Old 07-12-2015, 09:54 PM   #19

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Update: still not running steadily. Had alot of on and off rain and havent been able to go down for about a week. Got down the last few days to work on the fuel system. I think the problem's fixed, but I will be testing that Tuesday.
Old 07-15-2015, 11:16 PM   #20

Vintage RV Owners Club
Good luck. Really interested to see what you do with it.
wschaub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 05:00 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethhope View Post
P.S. found a few 8 tracks under the dash. Thats a plus, right?
James Taylor and Jethro Tull!! SCOOORE!!!
Old 08-16-2015, 08:12 AM   #22

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Long overdue update: engine is running steadily after lots of work. It still doesnt move. Possibly incorrect trans fluid...
Old 08-22-2015, 01:50 PM   #23

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Update! Replaced the trans fluid. Everything runs smoothly now. The brakes seem to be locked up, but Ive delt with that kind of thing before in my vintage truck.

Also, meet the other two helping to rebuild this beauty: Eric and Will.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1440272966815.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	104264  
Old 08-23-2015, 08:02 AM   #24

Vintage RV Owners Club
Very nice! It's good to see your making some steady progress. It is very cool restoring these vintage rigs and bringing them back from the dead! Looking forward to more updates!

Matt
matthewc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 01:37 PM   #25

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Howdy, guys! It appears that I've neglected to update here! About a month ago, i got the beast driving. Replaced the brakes and almost fully gutted her. The next few weeks will be removing and replacing the roof.
Old 12-08-2015, 03:51 PM   #26

Good to see you're making progress. My own RV was a still-working basket case when I not only bought it but also moved into it in April 2013. Two and a half years, 6,700 miles, and $6,500 in parts later (including a rebuilt long block assembly) I'm finally getting to the point where I can reliably drive my 1994 Holiday Rambler anywhere .

Keep us posted on your progress!

Steve
Geocritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 05:45 PM   #27

Vintage RV Owners Club
Thanks for the update. Looking forward to more.
wschaub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 05:45 AM   #28

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
If interested
I bought a couple bottles of Mold Armor from HD and it attaches to the garden hose. It will remove all the black and green mold on the exterior. Try in a small area incase it removes the paint, its aluminum isn't it? Mine is fiberglass and it didn't affect it at all. Not sure about aluminum.
I remember a couple years ago I used Bleach white (for white walls) on a pair of curtain rods and it striped them clean of the paint. Be careful.
I for 1 applaud you for taken on this redo you have your work cut out for you sotaspeak.
Waiting for the progress report ,
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
southwind, vent