Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-11-2011, 12:55 AM   #57

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to johnnytugs1 Send a message via Yahoo to johnnytugs1
not sure how you made out with the short, here's what i remember of how we used to follow shorts. Take a test light run it between the ground cable and the battery (put the aligator clip on the cable and touch the post with the sharp end) if the light comes on there is a short. pull 1 fuse at a time and when the light goes out thats the circut that holds the short. now i may have it backwards and you may need to run the test light between the positive cable and + battery post. i'm sure someone else has used this method before.
good luck,
JT

johnnytugs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2011, 03:04 AM   #58

Vintage RV Owners Club
I haven't done a thing yet. Waiting for the weekend to start on it.

I'm picking up a new headlight switch and new rear clearance lights on Friday, and will be working on it from there. Oh, and plenty of fuses :]

Old 08-11-2011, 10:37 PM   #59

wow, I'm tired just from reading all you do!

OH to be young and full of energy!
I do applaud your desire and work ethics,
you will go far in this world, so many are waiting for someone to
hand them everything.
Old 08-12-2011, 02:38 AM   #60

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzn57 View Post
OH to be young and full of energy!
I do applaud your desire and work ethics,
you will go far in this world, so many are waiting for someone to
hand them everything.
That is all too true, sadly
Old 08-12-2011, 12:46 PM   #61

I have been watching this page (and your web page). Your doing such a great job. I don't have a drop of mechanical blood in my system but I truly respect people who do. I can't wait to see more! Best of luck with the lights this wkend!
Old 08-13-2011, 05:03 PM   #62

Vintage RV Owners Club
Well, I got to thinking last night, after looking at the wires coming from the fuse box, and decided I would check out the new front clearance lights I put on before checking anything else. So today I pulled them off to see if they were shorting some place, or if I wired it wrong.

Took them off so none of the wires were touching the skin of the motorhome, put in a new fuse, and turned on the lights. No blown fuse. Checked the wires to double check which was which and relearned an old lesson that I have long since forgotten. Just because the wire is white, does not mean it is the positive wire. I run into that so rarely I had completely forgotten about it. So I had the positive wired directly to the motorhomes aluminum skin *smacks forehead* I didn't have a tester on me when I put them on, so I couldn't check to see which was which.

Should be all good now!

P.S. I am man enough to admit that it was my fault. Could have easily said something like "One of the wires was cracked and was grounding out!" lol
Old 08-14-2011, 03:44 AM   #63

Vintage RV Owners Club
Clearance lights and running lights just about all taken care of. I also just about finished the bathroom ceiling.

Silver and Sky's Motorhome Project - August 14th, 2011
Old 08-14-2011, 08:44 AM   #64

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyrenSkywolf View Post

Checked the wires to double check which was which and relearned an old lesson that I have long since forgotten. Just because the wire is white, does not mean it is the positive wire.

lol
As anyone will attest to after working on RV wiring for a while, it seems like the manufacturers followed NO color plan when wiring ANYTHING.

Positive and ground wires will be one color in one place, maybe opposite in another, both the same color in a third spot. Sometimes wiring runs change color somewhere in the middle- not to mention what previous owners have patched in or botched with.

Get an meter that can strap to your wrist and just wear it like a wristwatch, all the time. Take it off only while sleeping.

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 10:10 AM   #65

Vintage RV Owners Club
Picked up a multimeter this weekend finally :]

And thanks for that bit of knowledge about the wiring, makes me feel a bit better lol
Old 08-14-2011, 11:48 AM   #66

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senior Chief View Post
Get an meter that can strap to your wrist and just wear it like a wristwatch, all the time. Take it off only while sleeping.
I get them at Harbor fright and pass them out as XMAS gifts. People look at them funny and thank me later. They can be a life saver.
J
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 10:34 PM   #67

I wanted to say that Ive been following the remodel with interest and think you are doing a great job. Good luck and keep the updates coming!
Old 08-16-2011, 04:33 AM   #68

Vintage RV Owners Club
Discovered what is causing all the problems the bunk has always had. Compared to the rest of the motorhome, up there is a low point, and water gets trapped there.

The water pooled there, and actually got deep enough to get over the eternabond into the area that I have not fixed yet (where the tape didn't want to stick), as well as around the hinges where I couldn't get any force on it, and managed to leak in around the vent again. Will be picking up some Dicor tomorrow, instead of this Friday as planned, and will get up there tomorrow night, fix any eternabond areas that I can, and seal the rest with the dicor.

Thankfully we are supposed to have clear skies the next few days/nights.

Wish I could think of a way to fix it without tearing it back apart and adding a thin layer of plywood to try and raise it up, because that isn't happening.
Old 08-19-2011, 08:26 AM   #69

I have been following your thread for a while now and it has really helped motivate me. You gave me the info on the roof vent, and I ordered one and and installed it. Now I see we have the same problem; low point in roof where water gets trapped, causing leaks.

I havent replaced my ceiling paneling yet, but I'm trying to figure out a way to get those dips out in the roof through some kind of bracing. I have one dip just to the front of the roof vent, and one just to the rear of it. Havent figured out a way yet to get it braced up where it needs to be. I thought I would be able to slide some new brace boards into the roof, but there's not enough space due to the boards already there.

Let me know how the Dicor works.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:32 AM   #70

Vintage RV Owners Club
Everything I have read on the various rv sites have said good things about the Dicor, and it looks like it puts a really good seal on it. Plus the top coat cures pretty quickly.

Glad my documenting has been of help and inspiration to people. Makes me feel good :]

Best of luck on figuring out your low points! Does your roof sit on flat osb? Or, from what I am gathering from your post, the roof is set over individual cross braces, with open area in between? If that is the case, are you able to run a support board down the center from front to back on both sides of the vent?

Tags
remodel