Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-21-2011, 08:41 AM   #71

It's an old type camper with the domed(not flat) type roof and it has the cross beams for support. In between the cross beams on both sides of the vent, it has a sag between beams. Water sits there pretty deep.

May try to brace the aluminum between beams today to get the aluminum to match the domed shape of the roof line. Think I'm going to try what you mentioned-cross supports between the beams. Maybe I can post a pic later today on my thread and you can look at it. I could sure use your opinions! I am horrible with wood working! Senior Chief has been a big help too!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2011, 11:22 AM   #72

Vintage RV Owners Club
As of tomorrow morning, I will be highly limited on my internet access for a few weeks (will be boondocking until off-season rates start at the campgrounds), but will try and get on as much as possible.

If you can get those pictures up soon enough today, I might be able to offer some insight.

Old 09-09-2011, 06:24 PM   #73

Vintage RV Owners Club
Silver and Sky's Motorhome Project - September 9th, 2011 Next update. May be a while before the next one, whenever that happens to be
Old 09-11-2011, 09:09 AM   #74

Hello again! I looked at your update and I have a question for you. Is the dicor added to the edges of the eternabond tape?

Here's my thread
New member-Need help identifying camper model

I used a lot of eternabond on my roof and still had leaks. I think it's because I didnt clean the roof good enough and scrape off all the old material as well as I should. So, I just pulled off about $50(Ouch!) of eternabond that I placed on the roof and Im starting over. I am cleaning the roof really good, and when I reseal it this time I want to make sure it's right this time! I have a bout 5 or 6 good sized holes in the aluminum that I'm trying to seal. I would appreciate your advice please, especially on the Dicor. Thank you! And nice work on yours! I enjoy the updates.
Old 09-11-2011, 12:41 PM   #75

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Looking at the pictures it looks like you both got a great deal, nice work.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 09:40 AM   #76

Vintage RV Owners Club
The recommended use of the dicor is to use it on the leading edge of the tape, which is the side the wind would be hitting when you drive down the road. Like you though, I didn't get a spot here and there as clean as I should have, and had sticking issues around the front vent. I cleaned the areas good, and put a good amount of dicor in those areas, and it sticks now. Just make sure the dicor overlaps the tape for a good seal. I ran about half the bead over the tape, the other half over the aluminum. it will flatten out to a wider area to cover more ground and provide a good seal. After it settles, inspect it all to make sure there are no edges of tape sticking through (from running to thin of a bead), and touch up if need be.

Because of the leak issues the motorhome had before, and even after I remodeled, I opted to run the dicor around all edges, to ensure they were completely sealed. There came a point when I decided that making sure it was sealed was much more preferable to looks. At $10 or so a tube of dicor, though, it can get pricey, so keep that in mind :]
Old 09-18-2011, 08:08 PM   #77

Tiffin Owners Club
Impressive

I must say you're one hard working young man with a lot of skills very impressive !

I wish you well in what ever you do with your schooling you deserve a break in your favor .....
Old 09-20-2011, 09:05 PM   #78

Vintage RV Owners Club
Yeah, with everything that has gone on the last few months, especially getting various things straightened out, we felt we deserved a break as well. Unfortunately, the powers that be decided it wouldn't be in our favor...yet anyway.

DW fell in a bathroom and fractured her wrist. Not just any wrist, but her dominant one. So now she has to relearn everything with her right hand instead now, which is fun for school. Leaves me with having to do everything as well lol. I actually have to touch the litter box *gags*. But it gives me an excuse to dote on her now, taking care of as much as I can.
Old 10-25-2011, 12:25 AM   #79

Vintage RV Owners Club
Silver and Sky's Motorhome Project - October 24th, 2011

Should be the last update until next year. Most of this update is of us getting it sealed and insulated for winter
Old 10-25-2011, 04:32 AM   #80

Now that's winterized! Love it! Do you plan on starting the engine occassionally during the winter?
Old 10-26-2011, 12:46 AM   #81

Vintage RV Owners Club
No, I'm not. I put plenty of Stabil in the tank and ran it through the engine, and left it at that.

With the way the front end is sealed, I can't pop the hood, which I usually end up needing to do to jump the battery if it has sat for more than a week. Need more turn time to get gas to the carb, and it drains the battery, which is in need of replacing. I just unplugged the battery after and left it at that.
Old 10-26-2011, 05:37 AM   #82

Vintage RV Owners Club
Are y'all planning on spending the winter living in it? If so you may want to use some of the foam sheets to cover the roof, a lot of heat will be lost through the roof just like a sticks and bricks house. It looks like y'all have it pretty well rapped up!
blackf3504dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 08:28 AM   #83

Vintage RV Owners Club
Yes we are spending the winter in it. I've thought about the possibility of doing something with the roof, but covering it with foam is too much money, which I don't have right now, and I am going to want to be able to get up there to clear snow away from holding tank vents and such if need be. I will probably try and leave a layer of snow up there for the most part though, to give some added insulation from the wind and air.

The entire ceiling has been replaced with rigid foam insulation, so it doesn't have the minimal amount of fiberglas insulation that was originally in there anymore. That was done by the previous owner.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:43 AM   #84

I just installed that same thermostat last weekend to replace my analog one.

Tags
remodel