Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 09-05-2013, 08:01 AM   #1
1979 Concord

So I was wanting to sell my motor home but now my mechanic has rebuilt the carb but it still didn't run right. He found #1 cylinder was not working. He found the valve shot & valve push rod bent. He has to replace the cam shaft, rods, & any valves. He said the Dodge 400 engine in it is in great shape & after he repairs this, it should run for a long time. My wife doesn't trust the rv anymore but I have completely re done the interior, re sealed the roof, has 6 new tires, the engine has a new crank shaft, piston rod bearings,timing chain, water pump,fuel pump, & now cam shaft, valves, & carb rebuilt. Plus has new brakes & master cylinder.
My wife doesn't want any more expense with this & wants a nice pop up with no mechanical problems.
Should I keep the old girl?

cubano222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2013, 03:08 PM   #2
If I was in your position, I would. There is not much more that could be replaced, as you have already done it all!
Popups are notorious for rotten canvas and the musty 'mold' smell. They are cheaply built from what I have seen, and I would not trust one older than 10 years. Your Concord is much better condition than a popup, and it will probably last another 20 years easily.

Ultimately, the decision is yours. Sometimes giving her what she wants can be the best idea, and other times it makes no sense. (Ask her WHY she doesn't trust the RV. She may be reacting emotionally to the cost.) Good luck . . . .

1973 Winnebago Indian 27'
Dodge M375 chassis, 413 ci gas
soundwve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 04:33 PM   #3
I was told the same thing by mechanic and was dealing with the same emotions but part of me just wasn't willing to give up just yet, was it diagnosed as a dead hole with no compression ? Because my 460 was having the same problem so I threw some Hail Marys at it with additives and it worked it was either a stuck valve or ring and with the combination of Rislon and a valve desticker it cleared the problem right up, give it a shot the worst you could be out is 20 bucks
Mitchyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 04:01 PM   #4
I discussed this with my wife & I think if we go camping several times & have no mechanical issues, she will start trusting the RV more. I trust my mechanic 100% since he has done lots of other repairs on several of my vehicles & has always been honest & fair. He is convinced that the motor is strong & will not let me down. Looking at how bent the push rod is & how worn down the valve is, I'm amazed that it ran to his shop. It was missing alot & backfiring but it made it. My wife really loves the RV & loves to camp in it. It's just a matter of her getting confident in it. She has agreed to keep it for a while since I have worked on it so much but its been a labor of love.
cubano222 is offline   Reply With Quote