Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-20-2013, 06:22 PM   #1

1979 Dodge Delta - Who has one?

I just bought an old 1979 Dodge Delta motorhome. I got it for really cheap, knowing I'd have a lot of work to do. The engine runs strong, and the overall condition of the RV is great.

However, I was limited on checking things out on site, just because I'm really unfamiliar with these.

1. I found the converter / charger, but I didn't see any battery for the living area.

2. After filling the tank and connecting external AC power (to the connections on both sides of RV) I still couldn't get any sound or activity from the water pump. I know there's a lot to check there.

3. So many fuse locations! Above the dash, behind the driver's seat, by the converter, above the 'dining table'... but not a lot of description on what they're for.

4. Looked for an owner's manual or specs and found nothing.

So, any help from someone experienced with this would be appreciated. Thanks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2013, 06:25 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome to irv2. Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 06:43 PM   #3

If you search "dodge&delta" you will find a few others

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 06:01 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by i12nil8 View Post
I just bought an old 1979 Dodge Delta motorhome. I got it for really cheap, knowing I'd have a lot of work to do. The engine runs strong, and the overall condition of the RV is great.

However, I was limited on checking things out on site, just because I'm really unfamiliar with these.

1. I found the converter / charger, but I didn't see any battery for the living area.

2. After filling the tank and connecting external AC power (to the connections on both sides of RV) I still couldn't get any sound or activity from the water pump. I know there's a lot to check there.

3. So many fuse locations! Above the dash, behind the driver's seat, by the converter, above the 'dining table'... but not a lot of description on what they're for.

I have a 79 Chevy Delta, not sure what your's looks like, but you can see mine on my pics. My house battery is located under my galley sink, under the floorboard, that has a hole in it and it lifts up. Just found it by being nosy and seeing it had a nice round hole lifted and found battery cables. Runs fridge, lights pump, etc.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:56 AM   #5

Hi. We bought a 1979 Dodge Diplomat MT about a month ago...fell in love (we've always had a yen for a small rv). Dan has been doing what he can to be sure everything works, but of all things, the sight gauge on the furnace (a Coleman) is not there! It's a sort of threaded pipe cap thing with a glass so you can see if the furnace is on...there was NO owner's manual with this, of course, and we can't seem to find one anywhere. Anyone have any suggestions? I guess we just can't use the furnace unless we are willing to buy a new one - at this point, no. Fridge works great, the engine seems strong; we're dying to get out on the road, but it's still pretty cold at nite in Wyoming. So far all we can do is stock it, and sit in it with our coffee, and daydream a little... Anyone with a manual for the MT of 1979, kindly let us know what a Xerox copy would cost?
Old 04-24-2014, 08:54 PM   #6

Coleman furnace

If you can find an old trailer house furnace they have the round sight glass for your furnace. My old dodge had the same thing till I put in new(used) furnace.if that doesn't work, if you have the cap, lumber yard should be able to cut u a new piece of glass. Hope this helps
Old 10-05-2014, 01:59 AM   #7

Quote:

i have a 1977 delta on a dodge chassis. if this helps you. there must be a battery in the aux spot for the lights and pumps to work properly. it is possible that the pump may be bad. did you check to se if there was power going to it?? as for other problems the fuse holders by the converter do tend to get corroded and weak. most of all the rv power comes from that fuse panel by the inverter. i had trouble with mine and i had to remove the panel to fix it. the inverter also recharges the aux battery as does the alternator when the motor is running. the motor battery and rv battery are protected from each other by a pair or diodes or a blocking device. that is easy to check if located under the hood.
as far as checking problems with wiring in an rv most of it is usually bad grounds. my 77 has all the systems working. it has the rally wheel lighting that had grounding problems. if you need to call you possibly could at 605 481 8507. i am in a weak cell area so i may miss your call but i could call back. they 77 and 79s were very similar. i don't think that very many 77's were made. june has 45,000 miles on it and the 360 purrs. so if this helps you
Old 10-05-2014, 02:02 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadrageinWY View Post
Hi. We bought a 1979 Dodge Diplomat MT about a month ago...fell in love (we've always had a yen for a small rv). Dan has been doing what he can to be sure everything works, but of all things, the sight gauge on the furnace (a Coleman) is not there! It's a sort of threaded pipe cap thing with a glass so you can see if the furnace is on...there was NO owner's manual with this, of course, and we can't seem to find one anywhere. Anyone have any suggestions? I guess we just can't use the furnace unless we are willing to buy a new one - at this point, no. Fridge works great, the engine seems strong; we're dying to get out on the road, but it's still pretty cold at nite in Wyoming. So far all we can do is stock it, and sit in it with our coffee, and daydream a little... Anyone with a manual for the MT of 1979, kindly let us know what a Xerox copy would cost?
i have a manual for a 77. that is for my 77. is the manual for the rv or the dodge chassis??
Old 10-05-2014, 02:03 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaliberty View Post
I have a 79 Chevy Delta, not sure what your's looks like, but you can see mine on my pics. My house battery is located under my galley sink, under the floorboard, that has a hole in it and it lifts up. Just found it by being nosy and seeing it had a nice round hole lifted and found battery cables. Runs fridge, lights pump, etc.
the chevys and dodges were completely different as far as the wiring went.
Old 10-05-2014, 02:12 AM   #10

Quote:

i even have all the manuals for my 77 dodge delta rv. and manuals for the furnace and fridge and water pump and air conditioner and all accessories.
i am looking for the exhaust manifolds for the rv. id like to have a spare set. they fit the 360 and are dedicated to rv's only. the other manifolds for the 360 aren't the right ones unless you replace the whole exhaust system with it. and I don't want to do that.
I had to have mine shaved down so the exhaust didn't leak and put gaskets in. they came from the factory with no gaskets on the engines exhaust manifold and the manifold warped a little and the burnt away some metal from running it that way. it is very quiet now. bought it for 700 in Vermont and drove it towing my pickup from Vermont to south dakota where it is now. so ant questions ask me.