Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-22-2017, 12:29 PM   #1

1979 empress class C

Tech question....1979 empress 20ft class c motorhome....2 black wires out from convertor run along under frame and up through drivers area and out through firewall....1 is ground? and other is plumbed into electrical connection that comes from alternator but little wire is going to ignition coil and power on only when engine is running or on key on only.Should this wire if in wrong spot be getting 12 volt battery live with or without key....previous owners had charging issues and a spagetti of engine wires...most have been eliminated....solved my charging issues now the rear coach area...thanks any input
Garbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2017, 01:08 PM   #2

My 99 MH has a " key on " hot wire to a solenoid, that connects the engine battery to the house battery. That way, it charges the house battery, only when engine is running. The solenoid has battery cables to each battery.

Some older MHs may have had diode isolators. They were installed in the output wire, comming from the alternator and split the charging to both batteries. They would use 10 or 8 gauge wire.

That's the 2 types of systems used back then.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 07:51 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
My 99 MH has a " key on " hot wire to a solenoid, that connects the engine battery to the house battery. That way, it charges the house battery, only when engine is running. The solenoid has battery cables to each battery.

Some older MHs may have had diode isolators. They were installed in the output wire, comming from the alternator and split the charging to both batteries. They would use 10 or 8 gauge wire.

That's the 2 types of systems used back then.
Only thing i have done is change out both batteries and hopefully hook up wires correctly...1 maybe 8 guage is tapped into wire harness from alternator and specific wire that it is spliced into goes to ignition coil....other wire i think is ground. I have 2 new batteries with a continuous solenoid in between.breaker on convertor popping so i think the other black wire would be ground and not a power wire.....my mistake but yet half my coach lights did work
Garbear is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class c