Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-10-2010, 10:29 AM   #15

Send a message via MSN to Sameeee
the guy we got the rig from told us that the guy he got it from had just put on new tires, that was 6mo's ago. looking at the tires they still have the little nobies on them. so it has not been driven much since then,

this rig is going to be done with items I get from the thrift store and yard sales. like I said I poorfolk, I will be sewing a lot lol. will be sewing the cab seats next. the couch/bed is in 2 peices the back and bottem, will have to be taken out to do it so trying to figure out how to get them out the door lol, while we have them out will put the water tank back in and reconect the pump, and see if they work,

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2010, 07:03 PM   #16

got the patterns made for the cab chairs done this morning, son helped me get the couch/bed out, it was easy just a few bolts, and fit right out the back door, going to work on them tomarrow, then the cab chairs, maybe the other way around depends on how I feel tomarrow lol, got a gl can of sealer paint for the floor, lucked out at $2.00 for a new can at the TS, will work great to cover the floor before putting the flooring down

Old 05-16-2010, 04:55 PM   #17

got the couch/bed done looks a lot better

before

after

Old 05-21-2010, 02:43 PM   #18

sunny day today got the ceiling primed and floor painted, guess what no more poo smell, made a few throw pillows that match the couch/bed, have not worked on the cab seats yet hope to soon,
Old 05-21-2010, 06:24 PM   #19

Seems everyone gets so involved in the fabrics and aesthetics, the mechanicals get totally overlooked - I can see it's a Chevy, and you said a 1-ton - what engine, how many miles - and must be the TH-400 tranny?

YUP - free is always good - leaves lotsa $$$ for the various repairs and replacements - keep the progress reports and pics coming!
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 08:09 PM   #20

this rig has 67,000 orig miles on it, with a 350 motor, I have no idea about the tranny, we have started it up every few days and it fires right up with a first turn of the key, was told the tires are only 6 months old and still have the nobbies on them so it has not been driven much. we don't know if the appliances work or not, have not tested them yet, we are doing the cosmetic stuff first, so we can use it to sleep in confy, and will be checking the appliances one at a time as funds will allow, in the mean time we have made a list and are checking prices,
Old 05-23-2010, 03:26 PM   #21

this rig had old window tinting both on the inside and outside of the windows, so cloudy it was like looking thro milk. peeled some of it off when we first got the rig, but most was really stuck on, then. I thought the steamer would losen it no problem, but noooooooooo, lol so yesterday I got online and found a easy way to get it off,

take a trash bag cut it to the size of the window,
spray tinting with window cleaner that has amoina wet the window reall good
while wet place the trash bag on the wet window, the bag keeps it from drying out.
wait about an hour
with a razar scraper peel the old tinting off keeping it wet with window cleaner

after the hour wait it only took me a half hour to do all the windows inside and outside,

I can now see out the windows, I am not going to put new tinting on, I know it can keep it cooler inside, and it's harder for anyone to see in, but it also makes it harder for me to see out, I just love seeing where I am, and the critters there too,
Old 05-23-2010, 03:42 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sameeee View Post
this rig had old window tinting both on the inside and outside of the windows, so cloudy it was like looking thro milk. peeled some of it off when we first got the rig, but most was really stuck on, then. I thought the steamer would losen it no problem, but noooooooooo, lol so yesterday I got online and found a easy way to get it off,

take a trash bag cut it to the size of the window,
spray tinting with window cleaner that has amoina wet the window reall good
while wet place the trash bag on the wet window, the bag keeps it from drying out.
wait about an hour
with a razar scraper peel the old tinting off keeping it wet with window cleaner

after the hour wait it only took me a half hour to do all the windows inside and outside,

I can now see out the windows, I am not going to put new tinting on, I know it can keep it cooler inside, and it's harder for anyone to see in, but it also makes it harder for me to see out, I just love seeing where I am, and the critters there too,
Neat suggestion!

We have one of those stick-on Fresnel lenses on the rear window of our '88 Winnie MH to "improve" rear visibility, it has started to yellow around some of the edges, and needs to be removed/replaced. I suspect it would also be a tedious chore, but your method might well do the trick - thanks!
Old 05-23-2010, 03:50 PM   #23

hope it works for ya, but is'nt that a harder plastic sheet?? this might take the glue off after getting the lense off. if not try goo-b- gone it takes off all kinds of stickies,
Old 05-23-2010, 07:15 PM   #24

Quote:
hope it works for ya, but is'nt that a harder plastic sheet?? this might take the glue off after getting the lense off. if not try goo-b- gone it takes off all kinds of stickies,
YUP, it's harder stuff, and a chore you want to be sure you can finish properly before you start, which is why I haven't tackled it so far.
Old 05-24-2010, 03:06 PM   #25

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
The new types of tint will let you see out, while others can't see in, and you won't need it on both sides. Check around for it, WalMart, Pep Boys, etc.
J
Old 05-24-2010, 03:23 PM   #26

i got the limo black from lowes it sticks by static so you can remove it if needed sure cuts back on summer heat in texas ( this uses no glue)
dave
Old 05-24-2010, 05:15 PM   #27

thanks for the tips, I am going to wait on putting any tinting on for right now, might later after I get things needed for this rig.
Old 05-26-2010, 07:54 AM   #28

want to show to a face lift of a little trailer we had a few years ago, when we got it, it was in worse shape than my little rig, it was a mess. I have before pics but can't find the right now, will post them when I do
old trailer face lift - iRV2.com RV Photo Gallery