Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-29-2010, 08:53 AM   #1

Send a message via MSN to Sameeee
1979 Mobile Traveler Face Lift

I have seen the rebuilds of the older Class C's. ripping everything out and replaceing with new, they turn out Great, I am poorfolk so I can't go that far.

So my 1979 mobile traveler, chevy van 30c, it has 67,000 miles on it, and it runs and drives great. is just going to get a face lift,

let me tell you a little about this rig,
the guy I got it from could not sell it because no one wanted it because he housed dogs in it and it it smelled bad of poo, and needed it out of his yard. so he gave it to me FREE! lol
hubby was not to sure about it untill the guy reached into the window turned the key and it fired right up, my son drove it home and said it runs and drives great and the tires and brakes are good too, will be giving it a tune up before we drive it very far.
getting it home and and getting a good look at the inside we see it's not in that bad of shape, lots of scrubbing will do wonders,

the first thing we did was rip out the carpet. the wood under it looks good no soft spots. the wood of the cabnets and walls is good a few chew marks at the bottem of the bathroom door, it does not have a water heater. and they took out the fresh water tank. and pump we will have to put them back in.
it's a wonder the dogs didn't chew up the cushions on the couch and chairs, they are good, just a good steam cleaning. the bathroom looks good. will scrub it down
we are going to test out everything one at a time, and replace what we can't fix, so I will be searching CL a lot lol, like I said we are poorfolk and will be buying used, if you know of any one around the Branson MO area parting out a rig tell them to get in touch with me lol.
also if you know where I can find info on this rig let me know.

you have now seen the before. will post pic's of the after as we get them done,

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2010, 07:59 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
79...same age as our 31 year young trailer. I love the older RV's. We have updated ours, but have kept the colors for the era.
Ken

Old 04-29-2010, 08:19 PM   #3

I get to go shopping for it tomarrow, looking for floor covering and fabric to redo the couch and chair, waiting to hear back from a guy that has a water tank. pump and water heater for $35.00, hope they will work in this, have to keep the paint from hubby and son tho they started talking camo and hunting trips lol, this is my baby so it's going to be my way lol,
Old 04-29-2010, 08:34 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I like the my way or no way.....

Ken
Old 04-29-2010, 08:40 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
I like the my way or no way.....

Ken
I do too,now that my wife has left me that's the way it's gonna be. Ed
Old 04-29-2010, 08:50 PM   #6

That's what I told my family one time and they said keep on driving down the highway, the beach awaits and it's getting dark. Not really sure what happened there.??
Old 05-01-2010, 09:47 PM   #7

OOO I had a blast shopping today, got the floor covering, Fabric to recover couch and chair, talked to the guy with the water heater, tank and pump, he also has the power converter will sell all to us for $40.00, going tomarrow to check them out, crossing fingers and toes they will work in this rig, getting everything together. going to have a busy week will post before and after pics as I get stuff done
Old 05-02-2010, 01:34 AM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
Looks good on the inside, can't see any signs that's suffered any water intrusion, but the pictures aren't terribly large, so I could simply be missing it .

Is she built on a 3/4 ton or 1-ton van chassis? I note that she only has single rear wheels, so she's definitely lighter than your average Class C. Cabover bed looks like its only a twin?
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 07:28 AM   #9

he's a 1-ton, from all others I have seen this guy is the smallest, just the cabin is 15 feet, we have had hard rain the last few days and he has not leaked any, and I have not found and leaks marks , so hope thats a good sign, the cab over bed is a full. son got a nice thick foam peice to put there, in Branson there is lots of winding hilly roads, when son drove it home he was surprised it took the curves and hills good, hoping with a good tune up and lots of TLC this little rig is going to be a great little rig.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:08 PM   #10

well the water heater, water tank, and pump would not work in my rig. to big. so will just put the water tank and pump that they took out back in and see if I can get them to work going to cap the gas line and keep looking for the water heater
Old 05-04-2010, 08:29 AM   #11

Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Wow, it runs and it was free AND the dogs had not destroyed the interior! You have a real bargain here. Enjoy! I now you will have great fun in your "new" rv!
Old 05-07-2010, 12:07 PM   #12

did'nt get as much done this week as I wanted to, but did get the chair redone it looks alot better than before. the fabric is quilted king size bed covers, got 2 matching covers at the thrift store for $5.00 each, would have paid more than $5.00 a yard for quilted fabric at a fabric store.

before

after

will be doing the couch/bed in the same fabric. going to start on it soon
Old 05-09-2010, 08:16 PM   #13

here is an updated pic of the chair, looks better than with a skirt, I was able to get 3 more matching quilted king bed spreads, for $10 00 so I am going to do the seats in the cab to match the couch and chair

Old 05-10-2010, 06:13 AM   #14

Sameee,

That's a great rig, and you will have lots of fun with it. I suggest the biggest thing in your budget is a new set of tires. Search IRV2 for the posts about tire age and replacement guidelines.

George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote