Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-30-2011, 09:52 AM   #15

Nice..... I love reno pics and stories...Looking forward to more, keeps me motivated to finish up my 76 class c reno.....

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2011, 04:02 AM   #16

I spent yesterday restoring the door. I cut & installed new interior skin (matches the new wall panelling), brushed nickel kick plate from Lowe's, stainless screws - Ace, & painted the metal frame. I restored the window & frame, scraping all water spots from the glass with a flat razor blade scraper. Will post pics tomorrow, but I think I forgot to take progress pics. It went failrly well, except for two things. First, the metal frame around the door had a stress crack where the lock n latch protrudes. This was a serious structural issue in my mind, so I cut and shaped two pieces of sheet metal and sandwiched the frame about 4" either side of it. This in turn meant I would have to cut n drill new holes for the new lock. What a pain! I couldn't use the striker plate that came with it because I would have to chop a huge chunk of metal out of the door frame. Tomorrow I will atempt to install a standard house strike plate and somehow beef it up to withstand the inevitable door slamming from my two wonderful children. Second, the new lock/handle mechanism which I picked up at my local rv dealer (Paul Evert's) for a whopping $100 isn't the ideal size. I figured I didn't want to skimp on the family's safety. The original handle would have been ok, but it would have looked like cr** on my purdy door. It's a bit too small for the opening so I'm scratching my head on how to deal with the 1" gap/hole to the right of the housing. I thought about a sheet metal patch, which I could paint, or a metal panel that would run the entire width of the door, which would look less like a patch job. I could also replace the entire outer skin, but I'm not sure how hard it would be to find the corrugated aluminum and I won't be painting the exterior until later this year - so I don't want to cruise around with a mismatched door. I'll sleep on it...

Old 03-31-2011, 04:24 AM   #17

fridge vent? what's a fridge vent?

Forgot to mention another scary find soon after purchase. Since I didnt' really know what to look for when rv hunting last year, I didn't know about fridge roof vents. I remember looking at the roof, seeing a rectangular hole (which of course turned out to be the fridge vent - no cover) and thinking, hmmm, must be an exhaust port of some kind...maybe for the generator? Boy, I didn't have a clue.... Well, that vent cover must have been missing for quite some time because there was a nest of wet leaves and other detrius behind and underneath the fridge. The fridge was supported by a warped piece of particle board that was nearly U-shaped. A few good bumps in the road and it would have crashed to the floor, probably breaking the gas line, sparking, and generating an impressive fireball worthy of youtube. I've said it before, "I'm soooo glad we decided to gut this sucker. I'm confident that the major dangers have been addressed and if something breaks or leaks, I'll know exactly how to fix it, cuz I installed it!
Old 04-02-2011, 02:35 PM   #18

what's not there is sometimes very interesting to discover! the PO's of our coach were very up-front about our '84 Fleetwood but i've found stuff they couldn't have known. i come from a background of auto restoration.... lots of PO goofups over the years. i'm pretty impressed by the level of materials used in the Fleetwood. i've been in sticknbrick houses with lesser stuff used. i do loathe particle board, though, and am glad not to see very much in our coach. i know there is a lot, just not structural stuff. what amazes me is that i looked at an '88 Coachman, virtually the same rig, just newer, and the whole thing was falling apart, top to bottom. the luggage bays were coming apart, and seemed like they were made of particle board, where the bays on the Fleetwood are galvanized sheet metal boxes. i've been removing stuff, mostly, that seems unnecessary to the coach IMHO, and working up plans to install electric heat in the back bedroom and the "living room".
keep us up to date; i need someone walking point!
Old 04-02-2011, 03:28 PM   #19

raccoonman your lucky! Our 1987 Fleetwood's luggage bays are only plywood!
No galvanized metalwork anywhere .

Love the pics so far of the restoration, cant wait to see more!
Old 04-03-2011, 12:08 AM   #20

really? just plywood? dang if i wouldn't look into getting them redone in galvanised 18ga... the weight has to be less over wood. mine have wire grates in them to let dampness off stowed gear and let air circulate. i believe that the metal boxes actually helped preserve the plywood floor in the coach, keeping humidity down inside.

right now, i'm trying to work out a way to stabilize the dinette table more firmly. the slightest jostle moves it a LOT and i'd like to lock it down better. the wall anchors, unfortunately, seem to be just screwed to the inside skin and not to any structural element. might have to live with it for now.

my son dropped off our granddaughter for a few hours today, so we sat in the coach and let her roam around in there. she knows what seat belts are! made sure i put mine on when i sat down.... miss safety inspector!
Old 04-03-2011, 09:21 AM   #21

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Our '89 Southwind's bays WERE galvanized metal; now 2 of them on the passenger side are badly cancered. Replacement is on "the Big List".

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 10:40 AM   #22

man, i guess i have been lucking out so far. i think you could take dimensions to any heating/ac shop and they could bend up a set of panels you could replace the bad with.

it's odd that the pilothouse deck is plywood in our coach and open to the elements on the bottom, and is as solid as day one, where the Coachman i looked at had plywood bays and every one of them was falling off the coach.

funny: i bought a pop rivet tool 2-3 years ago just to install a VIN plate on my Falcon, hadn't used it since.... been using it regularly on the coach.
Old 04-03-2011, 11:00 PM   #23

Our wood bays are ok, its just where over time the door seals have weathered away and water has got in from other areas.

Kept the wood wet, the unprotected metal frame behind the bodywork and sandwiched in the wood & structure of the bays has just rusted and left us with plenty of work to do!

Some of the bays are in perfect condition , even if most or all of the bay doors are in bad need of restoration/replacing! The biggest enemy is the water :( Which Im working my way through sealing all access holes/fill ports & doors to stop the evil h2o!

Working out ways to effectively either repair or completely remake the luggage bay doors.
Old 04-04-2011, 05:49 AM   #24

progress...

I’m nearly finished restoring the door. I’m going to address the gap around the new handle (hello gap) by using a strip of brushed nickel kick plate that will span the entire door. I also fabricated some pieces around the lock mechanism out of sheet metal, which I sanded and intended to paint, but I took a chance and polished them with 0000 steel wool. It looks like chrome, so I installed it that way. Time will tell on how it holds up to weather. I still need to install a couple of screws to finish it off. After that, I moved on to removing the valve covers, spark plug wires, coil, and all vacuum hoses. Went to O’Reilly auto parts and got new stuff including high temp paint for the covers.

btw, my storage area is steel - pretty rusty. I haven't thought about what to do with it as it's far down my todo list. I like the idea of making it out of new sheet metal. That'll give me an excuse to go to harbor freight tools and get a sheet metal brake! I wonder about the noise though – do any of u think the thin sheet metal would rumble on the road? I suppose I could crank the stereo.

raccoonman, I’ll gladly be your point man! I wanted to post pics with narratives chronologically, but I aint got that kinda time. Sorry, it’ll have to be out of order, but you’ll get the idea.

Cheers,

Paul & Liz

Here are some pics, in no particular order:

I can’t figure out how to have captions for each pic – oh well, maybe next time…
Old 04-04-2011, 05:52 AM   #25

pics

let's try this again...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM3263 - Copy (1024x763).jpg
Views:	253
Size:	427.5 KB
ID:	9209   Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM3271 - Copy (1024x763).jpg
Views:	150
Size:	445.9 KB
ID:	9210  

Name:	HPIM3302 - Copy (1024x763).jpg
Views:	233
Size:	469.7 KB
ID:	9211   Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM3315 - Copy (1024x763).jpg
Views:	124
Size:	417.9 KB
ID:	9212  

Name:	HPIM3319 - Copy (1024x763).jpg
Views:	133
Size:	321.5 KB
ID:	9213   Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM3322 - Copy (1024x763).jpg
Views:	141
Size:	460.3 KB
ID:	9214  

Name:	HPIM3350 - Copy (1024x763).jpg
Views:	133
Size:	410.1 KB
ID:	9215   Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM3354 - Copy (1024x763).jpg
Views:	121
Size:	315.1 KB
ID:	9216  

Name:	HPIM3357 - Copy (1024x763).jpg
Views:	142
Size:	417.0 KB
ID:	9217   Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM3360 - Copy (1024x763).jpg
Views:	126
Size:	401.4 KB
ID:	9218  

Old 04-04-2011, 05:57 AM   #26

sorry about some of the the rotated pics - I think I need to read up on how to post pictures...
Old 04-04-2011, 07:23 AM   #27

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I wonder about the noise though – do any of u think the thin sheet metal would rumble on the road? I suppose I could crank the stereo.

Ours are lined with an indoor/outdoor carpet and have a spray-on undercoating- no sounds of any kind.

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 05:27 PM   #28

my bay doors are all pretty good with the exception of the long one on the right lower front. weather and humidity rotted out the liner material between the inner and outer skins, mostly causing it to be difficult to lock the door shut. i removed the lower frame channel and disassembled the panel, cleaning the remaining material off the inside of the skins. i contact glued 1/8th luaun to each skin, and then glued them to each other, and reassembled the door with rivets and two reinforcing strips made of steel strap to keep the frame in dimension down the road. i think i could have added more luaun but it's plenty stiff and strong as is. the key item to rebuilding the doors is to not let the frame get twisted or bent. it's nearly impossible to straighten aluminum channel and it keep it's original shape or dimensions.
i have to get more photographic in my work. this would be so much more helpful with pictures.