Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2017, 11:14 AM   #1

1981 Itasca Sunflyer HELP!!

Hello, I am new here. But I am member of numerous other forums and aware of protocol.

I've searched and have been unable to find specific info, only basic and vague for other models. APOLOGIES IF THIS IS A COMMON QUESTION, but if you could direct me to a link or provide info I would be greatly appreciative, thank you in advance.

1981 Itasca Sunflyer ICN26RB. 454 CHEVY, A/T, ONAN GEN, 1 CHASIS BATTERY AND 2 AUX/HOUSE DEEP CYCLE BATTERIES.

I'm trying to prepare this outfit for sale for my elderly Aunt.

I am looking for a colored wiring diagram or photos of how the Dual-Norm/Park-Mom switch, and the Main-off-Aux Voltmeter switches are wired together in conjunction with the voltmeter gauge and isolator solenoid.

They've never worked. I don't think they are wired correctly.

wire colors I have at switches:

dual ORANGE WIRE which go to both switches - This has 12V all of the time key off.
Dual GREY WIRE to both switches - 12V when key is "on"
RED WIRE - has continuity to solenoid, but is this also connected to voltmeter gauge?
WHITE WIRE - seems to go to voltmeter gauge.

I'm also confused about this isolator solenoid. This 'slams' when I turn the key on. ?? In my mind, that should not be happening. I believe it should be only 'slamming' when 'dual' is selected or 'mom' spring is engaged. ??

As is it now (with that solenoid engaged when key is on), when the engine is running all 3 batteries are being charged. It is my understanding that should only be happening when the 'DUAL' switch is selected.... ?????

The switches seem to be ok when tested with ohm meter......but again, they seem to operate in the opposite direction.

Attached are two photos of how they were wired. The switch with the red backing is the Double Spring Loaded 'BATT COND' switch with 'MAIN' to the left and 'AUX' to the right. The second photo is the 'DUAL' - CENTER/OFF/PARK - and spring loaded 'MOM' on the right.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you very much. Cheers!

-Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2607.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	241.9 KB
ID:	164819   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2608.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	303.4 KB
ID:	164820  

bigdobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2017, 11:41 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdobie View Post

I am looking for a colored wiring diagram or photos of how the Dual-Norm/Park-Mom switch, and the Main-off-Aux Voltmeter switches are wired together in conjunction with the voltmeter gauge and isolator solenoid.
>>I don't have a colored wire chart, but could look at mine if needed.<<

Quote:
I'm also confused about this isolator solenoid. This 'slams' when I turn the key on. ?? In my mind, that should not be happening. I believe it should be only 'slamming' when 'dual' is selected or 'mom' spring is engaged. ??

As is it now (with that solenoid engaged when key is on), when the engine is running all 3 batteries are being charged. It is my understanding that should only be happening when the 'DUAL' switch is selected.... ?????
>>It appears that the DUAL position is stuck in the "on/connected" position. This Battery Mode Sw connects the Main/Chassis and the Aux/House batteries together as long as the sw. is in DUAL so the chassis 12V sys. can power the house. The center/neutral position SHOULD disconnect the two systems. The MOM(mentary) position does the same but is spring-loaded back to the center(off) position and is used to "jump start" the chassis with the house batteries should the chassis batt be low.<<

Quote:
Attached are two photos of how they were wired. The switch with the red backing is the Double Spring Loaded 'BATT COND' switch with 'MAIN' to the left and 'AUX' to the right. The second photo is the 'DUAL' - CENTER/OFF/PARK - and spring loaded 'MOM' on the right.
>>The BATT COND sw just connects the MAIN/chassis or AUX/house batteries to the voltmeter to read their status<<

>>There should be a 3rd "AUX. BATTERY DISCONNECT" sw. with a small, round light to the left of it. The light illuminates whenever the "house" 12V system is powered. It can be powered by the chassis battery/alt (when DUAL is selected), the converter (when MH is plugged into shore power), or when the AUX. BATT sw is in the left (ON) position; center is neutral; pressing the right side disconnects the house batt. Both the ON & OFF positions are spring-loaded (momentary) back to the center neutral position. Try pressing (and hold for a second or two) the OFF/right position to get the house battery to disconnect.<<

>>If the disconnect fails, its relay may be stuck (failed) in the on position or the reversing circuit isn't working. This relay is a "latching" relay, meaning it closes when +12V is applied by pushing the L. side of the AUX. BATT. DISC. sw, and the relay is opened when -12V is applied by pressing the R. side of the AUX. BATT. DISC. sw. You might try pressing the R./Disc side several times as mine was stuck open when I first got my MH. (The PO had it in storage for 10+ yrs.)

Other actions can be taken if these suggestions don't work.
Regenerative Carbon Farmer, RVM #161
RE_Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 11:34 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Wiring Diagram

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE_Farmer View Post
>>I don't have a colored wire chart, but could look at mine if needed.
Here's a b&w wiring diagram that should help. While not in color, the wire colors are labeled.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 097727.pdf (748.6 KB, 97 views)
Old 06-17-2017, 10:43 AM   #4

thank you RE_Farmer

Thank you for your time and consideration. And the Thank you for the detailed information and wiring diagram. I'M VERY GRATEFUL!!

I do NOT have a 3rd switch, the battery disconnect switch. There's not a hole in the dash where one was at one time either. After reading your post, I'm guessing you are 100% correct in that the DUAL/MOM switch is stuck in the DUAL position, "stuck" really isn't the right word, but you know what I mean. Would I run into trouble leaving it as is??? Basically, as I understand it, this just means that all 3 batteries are being charged when I am driving, correct? I guess this would also mean that if not on shore power, that all 3 batteries are being used to power the MH, and that I might get stuck with a no start situation, unless I disconnect the chassis battery when parked.

If it's not too much trouble. I would love to see pictures of how your DUAL/MOM and and BATT COND switches are wired.

thanks again,

Best
bigdobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 09:44 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Missing AUX. BATT. Disconnect Sw.

Quote:
I do NOT have a 3rd switch, the battery disconnect switch. There's not a hole in the dash where one was at one time either.
According to the diagram in my owners manual, your Batt Disconnect Sw. is an option on the Sunflyer. If you had one, it would be on the far lower left dash panel, to the right of the Ign Sw. Do you have the owner's manual for your Sunflyer? If not go to:
https://winnebagoind.com/product-res...ct-information

They have manuals, brochures, and wiring, plumbing, etc diagrams for most all their vehicles. And you can call them if you need other info.

Quote:
Would I run into trouble leaving it as is??? Basically, as I understand it, this just means that all 3 batteries are being charged when I am driving, correct? I guess this would also mean that if not on shore power, that all 3 batteries are being used to power the MH, and that I might get stuck with a no start situation, unless I disconnect the chassis battery when parked.
That's correct. However, one BIG CAUTION (mentioned several times in my manual)...DON'T start the generator or connect it to the electrical system in DUAL Mode as it can blow the diodes in the alternator; then you will have NO charging.

You might try disconnecting the NEG cables from your house batteries to see if that might de-energize the relay/solenoid. Secondly, disconnect the DUAL terminal wire in case the DUAL Mode sw is the welded/stuck connection. Since you are hearing the relays "slam"/click/thunk, at least one seems to be working properly. On mine, those relays are on the driver-side firewall, under the hood, far left of the radiator. One of the pages of diagrams I sent you should show the configuration.

Caution: I sent you MY wiring config. yours may be different, perhaps significantly, since you don't have the AUX.BATT.DISCONNECT Sw.

If after downloading your correct wiring diagram you still want pics of my setup, let me know. I'm not sure how applicable they would be if you're missing the AUX.BATT Sw and its associated relay.

Tags
024462-01-000, 024464-02-000, 1981 itasca sunflyer 26rb, battery condition switch, dual - mom switch, itasca, sunflyer, wiring diagram