Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 08-22-2015, 08:46 PM   #29
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
He ran one belt and not two because two belts do not work.
That is very interesting. I'll have to think about this.
There is a single belt that runs from the PS pump to the crank. There is another belt that goes from the PS pump around the A/C, Water pump and crank. That was the one changed to remove the PS pump. I don't like it because it has little to no contact on the water pump so if the alt belt fails the water pump is powerless. I'll take a look later and see if there is a way to get more contact on the water pump and then consider if I can remove the PS only belt.
The PS only belt would be a real pain to replace. The others are easy from the top.
Thanks for sharing!

arcaidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2015, 09:04 PM   #30
Tiffin Owners Club
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
He ran one belt and not two because two belts do not work. I got smart and put two on my son-in-laws motorhome. we started for Pigeon Forge at dark. We got there at 4 am. The belts kept jumping off. Finally at 3 am I looked and saw that the two belts running together kept knocking each other off. I grabbed my knife and cut the second belt. We never had another problem. The factory had designed the engine for two belts but that just did not work. I never worked on an engine that had two belts. I guess everybody else had the same problem.
I have the two belts on my, seems to be working

CJ7365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 08:22 AM   #31
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by CJ7365 View Post
I have the two belts on my, seems to be working
I should have been more detailed. I am speaking of the 1975 to early 1980 engines.
1998 Pace Arrow 35 ft. F53 Ford V10 2012 Honda Civic toad
15 year motorhome service manager. 3 popups....2 travel trailers....5 motorhomes....loved them all.
ga traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 07:40 PM   #32
Everything is back together. I left the AC belt off since it doesn't work and at the moment only runs that. The test drive went well. The temp gauge never moved after warm up and the fan clutch never kicked in after the normal idle roar.
I put the 180 degree thermostat back in to see how it'd act before the test drive. There was some stuff that fell in the neck so I wanted to clean it out. Figured I'd put it in then. I'm running water only right now but will address that later on once I make sure any bugs are worked out.
Later this week I will try to take it on a longer test drive and beat on it a little. I'm curious to see how it does in the hills I had trouble with before.

Thanks for the comments on this post. I am happy with how everything turned out. I ended up spending a bunch of time fixing and tweaking things I didn't like while all around the front end.
Old 08-29-2015, 08:11 PM   #33
Finally got to test everything out. With the 180 degree thermostat it gets to about the 3/8 mark on the gauge once warmed up. I pushed it pretty hard on hills I had trouble with before and couldn't get it to the halfway mark. Very happy with the way things turned out.
Old 08-30-2015, 06:05 AM   #34
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Glad that everything worked out for you, and that the unit is cooling properly and that now you will be able to enjoy your MH without the worries of it overheating every time that you take her out.

03 Silverado cclb 3500 drw, D/A, Reese 22k hitch
07 Alfa SeeYa Gold 30RL,2 slides,power everything
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote

radiator, southwind