Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-13-2013, 03:27 PM   #1

Talking 1981 Triple E Micmac IV "Class C"

I promised Engraver that I'd start a thread .... as of yesterday, I am now the proud new owner of our very first motorhome.

1981 Triple E
Micmac IV (26')
Dodge chassis (F40 is the model on the pillar plate but I suspect it's a B300)
Mopar 5.9 360 engine ... I *think* it's the 3-speed auto.
50,643km on the odometer

I purchased it for $1800 CAD and it's super clean. It needs only the following work for safety:

- burnt out marker / clearance lights
- upper idler arms
- upper ball joints
- pitman arm
- rear axle seals
- u-joint
- rear brake shoes (maybe drums)
- tighten up the steering box
- fix leak on left side exhaust manifold
- replace front windshield (small crack)

The interior is dated but in excellent shape, so we'll slowly freshen it up as we go along. We have 3 young children aged 7, 5, and 3 so we're pretty excited to take them out on the road ... we'll likely stay within a 4 hour radius this year until we're confident that everything is running right and familiarize ourselves with the unit.

Here are some photos:

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2013, 05:06 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Jeff and congrats on the "new" motorhome.

Definitely looks like it is in good condition considering the age.

BTW, what the heck is a "Micmac"???

Wait! I know . . .

Its a Micmac paddy whack, throw the Dodge a bone, this RV goes rolling home!

Nick-B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:33 PM   #3

Thanks! I'm looking forward to getting the family out on the road with it this summer.

Micmac refers to a first nation of Canada ... it's actually spelled Mi'kmaq ... or at least that's what I suspect the intent was:

Mi'kmaq people - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 06-14-2013, 09:57 PM   #4

Jeff,
Mine is a MicmacII and looks the same on the inside.... well all most it being shorter ( 22 footer), I'll take some photos of my progress on the inside. It has a GMC cab with about 55,000K's on her.

Dennis
Old 06-14-2013, 11:30 PM   #5

Definately a 3 speed, 727 Automatic, no overdrives for a few years ( 88 I think). I had the same powertrain in my 79 1/2 ton only got 240 k out of it, body fell off before the powertrain gave any trouble.
When Vanguard and Frontier were building in the Kelowna area , I did the P.D.I.s on several thousand of those rigs, then the B.C. Ambulance service used the same chassis for another decade. Some of the tools in my box , could take that unit apart without any input from me.
Dual exhaust is an add on , and if you have a Thermoquad 4BBL, hidding inside that stock air cleaner, it needs more air than will flow through the 1 snorkle , I added a second one off an older 440 car, had to keep the heated air system because of winter driving.
Old 06-15-2013, 10:53 AM   #6

Engraver - Do you have a thread with photos for comparison?

Skip -

When I bring it home this week, I'm going to pull the stock air cleaner off and take a peek under it. I'm going to add a cold air snorkel and route it just under the front bumper. I'm also thinking of replacing the intake manifold with an Edelbrock dual plane (not sure which one yet) and upgrading the air cleaner.

I don't know if the stock cams are the same as the regular B300 ... but I would consider upgrading them to an RV/Motorhome type lift/duration.

The exhaust already appears to be dual (see photos).

We're prepared to invest up to $1800 (for a total $3600 for the whole thing) on this motor home. We'd still be ahead even if we were to sell it at the end of summer and upgrade to something else.

Thoughts?

Suggestions to improve fuel economy? I was thinking of replacing some of the cabinets and such with lighter weight materials to shave a bit of weight, and replacing all the supplies (cups, cutlery, etc) with light weight replacements.
Old 06-15-2013, 07:32 PM   #7

My mileage was improved by having the distributor recurved. but mine is a 454. I don't know how the Dodge would do, but finding a place that can do it would probably know. They are getting hard to find though. As far a lightening it up, quite doubtful it will make a dent. Headers, distributor, intake, synthetic fluids, that's where your fuel economy is.
Old 06-16-2013, 12:51 AM   #8

Can't remember how much clearance to the engine cover the air cleaner has, probably less than an inch. Limits intake air cleaner options., Cam may be a help, but even if you decide to wait on the cam, I'd invest the time and replace the stock timing gears with a double roller chain set up. The Teflon gear cover on the cam doesn't age well, even with low klms , it could be in trouble, and really check out the rad, probably the first thing that will give you grief on the road.
And just in case the thought crosses your mind , pre 79s came with a 440 option. BUT. when Dodge went to the 360 as the biggest engine in this chassis they changed the floor , dash , engine cover and front cross member.
Dual exhaust , picked the mileage up from 13 to 16.5 on my 73, B-200 with 360.
Old 06-16-2013, 11:38 PM   #9

I am in the same process mine's a 79 Frontier on a B300 chassis, 360c.i. I just put a cam/double roller chain/gears/headers and rebuilt the thermoquad. I went with a more aggressive cam then traditional RV grinds. I went with a 270 duration/470 lift good for 1800-5800 rpm range, also 14" open air filter to feed the TQ. Your's really looks like a b300, the dash/cab area looks identical to mine. Mine has 85,000km's. I look forward to comparing results. SNO
Old 06-17-2013, 01:02 AM   #10

Should have said nylon , not Teflon.
Snowtwister, been a lot of years since I've seen one of those old sleds. Started sleding in 72 with 68 Ski-doos . 32 years later I had to give it up for health reasons.