Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-12-2011, 04:43 AM   #15

Two things come to mind.First now that I have added a second house battery,I should have some sort of a isolator between the two house batteries.Not have just cables running in parallel.Second,because it has two solenoids one has to be for the starter battery.Weird because SBC's starters have a starter solenoid right on the starter.

Unlike the newer charging systems that have a dedicated wire run from the alt to the battery,seems the positive cable back feeds the battery to charge it.

There is a faded warning label that says to disconnect the battery(s) before externally charging the battery. Hummm??.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2011, 07:38 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
If you are going to run 2 house batteries, you don't need to have an isolator between them unless they are running entirely different circuits. I suspect your intent is to simply add capacity and in that case running both of them in paralell is the correct way to do it.

From your previous post, you have a significant voltage drop from the charging of the chassis battery to the charge of the house battery. They should both be just about the same voltage. Looks like you have about a 1.75 volt drop. I would suggest that you look at all the connections and clean up the corrosion. One of the contactor photos shows a lot of corrosion. If after cleaning up ALL the connections, you still have a drop, start looking at the contactors. Check voltage going in and out of each contactor. Could be that the internal contacts have high resistance and in that case you need to replace the contactor.

Did you ever get your wiring diagram from Winnebago? They should be able to email it within a day. I think I got mine a couple hours after I sent them a request. Both wiring diagrams and plumbing diagrams. I'm thinking one solinoid is the chassis master (for when you turn the key on) and the other is the dual battery solinoid (controlled by a seperate switch) that connects the house batteries to the engine charging circuit, or battery disconnect solinoid. Again, to be sure you need the diagrams.

When you wire up your second battery, keep the two as close together as possible. The farther apart they are, the larger the cables need to be between them(#00 welding cable is a good choice). For a parallel system, you want the least resistance you can get between the two batteries. You also want batteries the same size and amp capacity, and hopefully the same age. If one is smaller or weaker than the other, the stronger will constantly try and charge the weaker and, while giving better capacity than just a single battery, it won't give you the total combined capacity.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-14-2011, 10:47 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgapilot View Post
If you are going to run 2 house batteries, you don't need to have an isolator between them unless they are running entirely different circuits. I suspect your intent is to simply add capacity and in that case running both of them in paralell is the correct way to do it.

From your previous post, you have a significant voltage drop from the charging of the chassis battery to the charge of the house battery. They should both be just about the same voltage. Looks like you have about a 1.75 volt drop. I would suggest that you look at all the connections and clean up the corrosion. One of the contactor photos shows a lot of corrosion. If after cleaning up ALL the connections, you still have a drop, start looking at the contactors. Check voltage going in and out of each contactor. Could be that the internal contacts have high resistance and in that case you need to replace the contactor.

Did you ever get your wiring diagram from Winnebago? They should be able to email it within a day. I think I got mine a couple hours after I sent them a request. Both wiring diagrams and plumbing diagrams. I'm thinking one solinoid is the chassis master (for when you turn the key on) and the other is the dual battery solinoid (controlled by a seperate switch) that connects the house batteries to the engine charging circuit, or battery disconnect solinoid. Again, to be sure you need the diagrams.

When you wire up your second battery, keep the two as close together as possible. The farther apart they are, the larger the cables need to be between them(#00 welding cable is a good choice). For a parallel system, you want the least resistance you can get between the two batteries. You also want batteries the same size and amp capacity, and hopefully the same age. If one is smaller or weaker than the other, the stronger will constantly try and charge the weaker and, while giving better capacity than just a single battery, it won't give you the total combined capacity.

Hope this helps.
Thank you for that.Once I get it out by the shop I will follow your suggestions.Also I will pull the house battery to charge it to see if it will hold a charge.If it does,then the Interstate direct store here has been very good to me so I will take it to them to have it matched up for the second battery.

Again-thanks.

Tags
charging, wiring