Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-09-2011, 09:35 PM   #1

1982 avion

Any of you know anything about the avion trailers? We are looking at a vacation place that has an avion on it that is an 82. It appears to be in good condition. Has a small bathroom in the rear with tub and bedroom as two twin beds. Kitchen with sofa and dining table. I could only find up to a 34 foot on nada that says it says it is worth around 6-8 hundred dollars. This is a triple axial trailer and owner says it is 36 ft. Any info on the value and history of these trailers would be appreciated. Thanks
faye is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2011, 07:31 AM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
Jayco Owners Club
That sounds like a Avion 34V. It is 34'11" long. I have a 1983, same floor plan. We gave $7000 for our and have spent more on updates. It tow wonderful. We were pulling a 30' Mobile Scout before and our towing mileage has increased by 2+ mpg. They are built very solid and are quality trailers. Walk floor and test for rot. If there is any, most likely it will be around the door or in the bath area.

We live in Houston area. Last year we towed to the Grand Canyon and this year to Virginia. Feel free to as me any questions come up. avioncampingandrestoration : Avion Camping and Restoration - Repair, for discussions of these trailers.
Old 12-10-2011, 06:37 PM   #3

Avion Owner

I've got a 2 Axle 31' 1983 Avion. An old axiom was that folks traded up to Avions from Airstreams, and that's what my original Paperwork shows. The Original Owners did just that. They're top shelf Trailers.

Welded Aluminum Superstructure; massive I-Beam Chassis; sealed and heated underbody; and my favorite feature of blown in Foam Insulation for superior R Value vs. Fiberglass. I lived in mine p/t down to -10 or so here in CO in January.

The OEM Power Center has held up just fine. Big Fresh/Black/Grey Tanks. The Fridge, Furnace, A/C and Water Pump and Stove are all standard OEM names still in Business. Real Wood Cabinets throughout. The oversize Aluminum Propane Tanks on mine are really nice to have. Pretty much leak-proof Roof...

The $$ estimates you mention are missing a digit. These 2 Axle Trailers routinely go for what I paid locally - $6,200- after lots of Research - and go from $4k to $9k on Craig's List.
Engineer Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 07:19 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a 1989 Avion 34V and it is built like a tank. We have the original sales paperwork when it was sold in 1990. The owner traded in a 2 year old Airstream for this beauty.

If the trailer is sound, no leaks, and a solid floor, it is worth a lot more than $800.00. We paid $9000 for our and have about $6000 in upgrades and such.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 08:32 PM   #5

We could not find a switch to turn on furnace, where would it be located? THANKS FOR THE REPLIES.
Old 12-10-2011, 11:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineer guy View Post
i've got a 2 axle 31' 1983 avion. An old axiom was that folks traded up to avions from airstreams, and that's what my original paperwork shows. The original owners did just that. They're top shelf trailers.

Welded aluminum superstructure; massive i-beam chassis; sealed and heated underbody; and my favorite feature of blown in foam insulation for superior r value vs. Fiberglass. I lived in mine p/t down to -10 or so here in co in january.

The oem power center has held up just fine. Big fresh/black/grey tanks. The fridge, furnace, a/c and water pump and stove are all standard oem names still in business. Real wood cabinets throughout. The oversize aluminum propane tanks on mine are really nice to have. Pretty much leak-proof roof...

The $$ estimates you mention are missing a digit. These 2 axle trailers routinely go for what i paid locally - $6,200- after lots of research - and go from $4k to $9k on craig's list.

i looked at nada and added a few options although they seemed standard like refrigerator, ac, furnace, said it sold new in 1982 for 23,000 but current value less than one thousand dollars, this trailer is 30 years old as is the wiring, ac,refrig/stove.no tv just radio....do you still think it is worth more if it is in very good condition?
Old 12-11-2011, 06:12 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
post some pics of it so we can see what you are talking about
genesimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 08:31 AM   #8

Avion Insights

See a Craig's List Ad pulled up very quickly just now, to give a sample data point of 1 Case. The Ad will expire in a few weeks, and this Link won't work any longer past that. There's also an Avion listed for ~$4k but that's simply a great price IF it's not trashed.

34' Avion Ad

The Ad code words 'needs TLC' means some involved work MIGHT be necessary, but that the asking price reflects that. It also means this Avion would list for more IF that work was already done. Also, there's excellent advice above to post some clear pix here so that a few of us can chime in and attempt to help re: Avion value. 'Free advice is worth every Penny paid', as I like to say!

One major Trailer Manufacturer - NOT to be named here - 'proudly' has a Promotional Video, also on YouTube, showing them cranking out a Particle Board piece o'junk Trailer every ~1/2 hour. Avions were at the opposite end of that Quality 'Spectrum'/Design Philosophy. Unlike Wood-framed Trailers, only something like Chassis/Salt Air corrosion can get an Avion. ~30 years old means nothing in 'Avion World'; they really are Tanks. Case-in-point, look at Craig's List at the prices asked for GUTTED Airstreams, and original or updated Airstreams. The bulletproof Trailer Infrastructure is a major reason Airstreams and Avions hold value vs. lesser, 'throwaway' Trailers. The prices we discuss above reflect Depreciation from the ~1980s price new of ~$22k; SERIOUS money back then for a Trailer.

I've read that the sealed Underbodies can trap moisture and corrosion. I've not checked mine, since it's always been in dry [high] Desert Air. That's something to check if you're going through your Trailer anyway...

My Furnace turns on via the OEM square, mechanical Thermostat. If that doesn't work, and no sound at all is heard from the Furnace when Thermostat-enabled, check the Power Center, and further ensure there's +12 VDC and a good (-) Ground at the Furnace. Mine's below the rear Bathroom Closet.

Also, reset all Avion power. That is, unplug the Avion from 115 VAC Shore Power. Then, flip the front Console Switch above to ensure the Battery Power is off. Then, turn power back on. This would reset Furnace power [and all Trailer power].

I retrofitted a 'Dinosaur' Control Board to my Furnace. After 3 attempts to start the Furnace, it requires such a reset IF both Propane Tanks are empty. This avoids running down both House Batteries. Such a scenario is a remote possibility on your Trailer, but is generally something to be aware of when Troubleshooting. That is, perhaps the Furnace has been replaced or worked on, so enabling the Furnace isn't a Factory-style function anymore. Also, resetting power on just about anything often cures a problem.
Engineer Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 08:39 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
avioncampingandrestoration : Avion Camping and Restoration - Repair,

Check our the Silver Avions on this yahoo group.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote