Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-05-2006, 02:07 PM   #1

Hi, I'm looking at a 1982 Honey 24' class c on the ford chasis. It has 49k miles and has some rott on the rear wall most likely caused by a loose ladder bracket. Everything seems to work. The power steering pump needs replaced and probably could use new shocks.

I can't find any info on the blue book site. Any thoughts on the value?

Thanks.

E350 Chassis
Mike (KC9IPV) is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2006, 02:07 PM   #2

Hi, I'm looking at a 1982 Honey 24' class c on the ford chasis. It has 49k miles and has some rott on the rear wall most likely caused by a loose ladder bracket. Everything seems to work. The power steering pump needs replaced and probably could use new shocks.

I can't find any info on the blue book site. Any thoughts on the value?

Thanks.

E350 Chassis
Old 12-05-2006, 02:45 PM   #3

My MIL just bought an 82 travelcraft on a chevy 24'.Everything works but the old owner took the genset. She paid $3500 with 80,000 miles here in the Northeast. Welcome to the site

2006 FOUR WINDS HURRICANE 34N F-53
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 05:31 PM   #4

I'm new to the whole motorhome thing. How does a travelcraft compair to the honey? I just don't want to get burned on the deal. I drove it today for about 45 minuts and it tracks very well. I haven't weighed it dry but it has plenty of power and the transmission shifts smooth. The axle has some oil stains but it was comming from the fill plug. The carpet is in good shape but I will replace it with lenolium. The cussions are all in good shape but dated colors. The heater works great as does the A/C. The cabenit under the sink needs replaced from water leaking from the sink. The only place that seems to have rot is the rear wall behind the closet and down below it in a storage compartment. Again, it seems the water is comming from where the ladder is loose. Reguardless the closet will have to come out to get to the wall and see what kind of damage is lurking. I'd say it's a safe bet that there is some frame damage. Oh, the water pump also seems dead. There is minor surface rust on the frame but no flaking. I even found all the owners manuals and other paperwork in a kitchen drawer. I know they will take $3900 but I'm not sure its worth that much.

E350 Chassis
Old 12-05-2006, 05:52 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Mike welcome to irv2 and the Vintage forum.
It looks like you have looked over the Honey pretty good and driven also.
If you have an idea of the work that is needed and can do it you should make up your mind and go for it, price seems good also, you can also make a lesser offer too.
If you have looked at the threads at the top of this forum you can see some results of what some loving care can bring you.
Keep in touch plenty of good people here to give advise and if you can post some pics of your project.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 06:05 PM   #6

Thanks 007,

I've been lurking here for a short time and have spent a good amout of time googling for rv repairing. I'm pretty handy with woodwork. I also am good with electrical and mechanical work so The project doesn't scair me, I just want to know that I'm not getting taken. The engine seem strong and I plan to tow my jeep wrangler as I enjoy trail riding.

I'm sure glad I stumbled upon this site.

E350 Chassis
Old 12-06-2006, 08:42 AM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon (The right side of the Cascades and home of Crater Lake)
Mike welcome to irv2. Having always bought used I have learned to be very careful. Caveat Emtor or buyer beware. At the price I don't think the seller is trying to gouge you,but once you write the check it's yours to deal with. In buying a vintage coach I think the most important issue is not the price but the care the rig has had over the years. Imho water damage is something to walk from. It can be very difficult and costly to repair and also reflects poor maintenance.If that was neglected how has the drive train been maintained? Also one simple thing I feel is a must on older engines is a vacuum check. It's inexpensive and reveals a lot. Be cautious. You don't want your first RV experience to be unpleasant. Happy Trails!!
Hoverbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 02:39 PM   #8

Yeah, I don't want it to be a bad experience either. I'm planning on going back and romoving some access pannels and looking in hard to get to places. I'm not going to rush into it. I've been looking at this unit for a few weeks and am also looking at other units of similar age each with their own issues. I was supprised to find the problem with the rear wall until I found the loose ladder mount. There is no staining anywhere in the interior and the roof and all other seams have been and are still sealed and caulked. The maintenance records are all there as well as all the origional owners manuals for everything. Mechanically it seems sound except for the leaking power steering pump. I plan on having a shop do vaccume tests, pressure tests and dump the fluids and inspect. As long as I know what I'm getting into I can fix just about any problems I just want to make sure I'm not loosing my shorts after making the known repairs and leaving some wiggle room for the unknown. Thanks for your input it is appreciated.

I plan to make a low offer and see where it goes from there.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hoverbug:
Mike welcome to irv2. Having always bought used I have learned to be very careful. Caveat Emtor or buyer beware. At the price I don't think the seller is trying to gouge you,but once you write the check it's yours to deal with. In buying a vintage coach I think the most important issue is not the price but the care the rig has had over the years. Imho water damage is something to walk from. It can be very difficult and costly to repair and also reflects poor maintenance.If that was neglected how has the drive train been maintained? Also one simple thing I feel is a must on older engines is a vacuum check. It's inexpensive and reveals a lot. Be cautious. You don't want your first RV experience to be unpleasant. Happy Trails!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

E350 Chassis
Old 12-06-2006, 04:25 PM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon (The right side of the Cascades and home of Crater Lake)
Mike,FYI here is some info on vacuum testing.

http://www.classictruckshop.com/club...ts/vac/uum.htm
Hoverbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 04:45 PM   #10

Thanks!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hoverbug:
Mike,FYI here is some info on vacuum testing.

http://www.classictruckshop.com/club...ts/vac/uum.htm </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

E350 Chassis