Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 03-12-2015, 11:17 AM   #1
1982 Monaco water only coming to bathtub. Please help!

I have a 82 Monaco 27ft. I was going to flush the tanks and sanitize them. Water has flowed from everywhere since I got the thing. After draining the holding tanks I tried puttin water back in the drinking water tank and after a couple seconds I seemed to not accept water at all just spit back out... It's reading half 1/4 full on the dash gauge also when I turn the pump on now water will only flow out if the bath tub and just barely trickle out of everywhere else. What do I do! I am going to be living in this thing soon and need to be able to use the water

Nickkersey81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2015, 04:37 PM   #2
Could it be frozen lines? Depending on your location. Could also be a valve or two that is shut off. Another suggestion; check the screens in the faucets, they could have debris in them.
Is your hot water heater filled?, possible it could be air bound, or a bypass valve might be turned the wrong way.
As far as fresh water tank, the gauges are known to be inaccurate.The spitting back is an indication of the tank becoming air bound during fill. Try filling it at a lesser rate, allow for the spit back to occur, try not to get too wet. Ours spits a lot during a fill up.

Hope one of the above solves your problem.

Ripnfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 03:48 AM   #3
I am not sure if the hot water heater is filled or not or how to tell even. I can't seem to fine any sort of bypass valve any idea on where to look? I just got this thing and am trying to be careful as its old but in really good shape for the most part. I got the tanks to fill, i got water to come out of all faucets but is spitting water sparatically. Pretty sure it's air bound. How do I get that stop and work normally? Could it be cause its not perfectly level? It's not far off but not perfect level either. I know nothing about my hot water heater as I haven't got that far yet do I need to turn this on somewhere? I know I have a bunch more question but can't think right this second. Thank you for your help I really appreciate it.
Nickkersey81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 09:49 AM   #4
Great to hear about the water. The spitting is most likely air, as you said. Running the water will bleed it out.
The hot water heater will have a outside door on it could be on either side of the RV.
The door will swing down, it has a spring loaded thumb latch at top center of door. It also has a small aluminum vented screen in the door.
If you have water already coming out of HW faucets, then either the HWH has a bypass set, or the tank is already filled. To check to see if it's filled turn on the water pump(or have city water connected) and open the blow off valve and see if water comes out. No water means the tank has a bypass. If you have water then HWH can be started safely.If no water is present, than do not try to light water heater until it's filled.
If no water then, go inside of the RV and find the back of the hot water heater. Most likely inside a storage cabinet, or a snap fit access panel.
Once you access the back of HWH you should see some valves and piping. If it is equipped with a bypass, you should see three valves turn the crossover valve so it sits cross wise to the pipe. Turn the other 2, so they are inline with the piping. This will allow the HWH to fill. Turn on the hot water tank and allow to let the air out of the system by running the water..
Happy to help we all started at the same place. just helping it forward
Ripnfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 07:30 AM   #5
Being unlevel won't affect your plumbing.

Do you have one or two places to fill water? Older MHs often had a city water (threaded) connection which connects directly to the water pipes and bypasses the fresh water tank, and a second (unthreaded) hole for filling the fresh water tank directly.

If you have only one (threaded) connection, then there will be a valve somewhere to turn it from city water to filling the tank.

If you were trying to fill your tank with the unthreaded connection, the issue with the fresh water tank may be that your air vent is crimped or clogged. I don't know how your rig is arranged, but you should have a small diameter plastic hose coming off the top of tank, maybe (as in ours) going up to the fill opening.

Even if you drained the tanks, you didn't drain the waterheater. If the previous owner had drained and bypassed it, it would still be bypassed. It won't have anything to do with the sporadic flow. That's another subject.

Let it run long enough to blow out all the air (even if it seems a long time to you). It won't hurt anything. I would hook up a hose to the city water connection and fill the plumbing on city water first. When the air is gone, switch back over to the FW tank- if flow is still feeble, you may have an issue with your water pump or the filter screen between tank and pump.
HoneyBadger is offline   Reply With Quote

monaco, water