Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-21-2007, 06:08 PM   #1

I bought a pretty nice 1982 Suncruiser with a 6.2 diesel engine. Has had a good deal of work done to it and runs super. I think it is like 26 ft long?

Like many units I have seen the water got in around the vent on top in the back where the bathroom is and messed up the ceiling. The floor is not damaged nor is the bathroom counter etc. My question is this. Does anyone know of a site or person that can help me on replacing some of the back ceiling. It has double beds to the left of the bathroom and the ceiling in there is messed up some also. But not as bad as the bathroom.

Can a person just tear out a bunch of the bad,put back some plywood, or paneling guled in? On some of it I beleive I can just go over it with new paneling and seal it. and be ok. The roof no longer leaks. Newbie here and I need to know what I can or shouldnot do!

I have a retired friend that will help me so maybe it won't be too bad. The walls are not damaged.

So anyone know a site, or something to help me?

thanks
Scott

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2007, 06:08 PM   #2

I bought a pretty nice 1982 Suncruiser with a 6.2 diesel engine. Has had a good deal of work done to it and runs super. I think it is like 26 ft long?

Like many units I have seen the water got in around the vent on top in the back where the bathroom is and messed up the ceiling. The floor is not damaged nor is the bathroom counter etc. My question is this. Does anyone know of a site or person that can help me on replacing some of the back ceiling. It has double beds to the left of the bathroom and the ceiling in there is messed up some also. But not as bad as the bathroom.

Can a person just tear out a bunch of the bad,put back some plywood, or paneling guled in? On some of it I beleive I can just go over it with new paneling and seal it. and be ok. The roof no longer leaks. Newbie here and I need to know what I can or shouldnot do!

I have a retired friend that will help me so maybe it won't be too bad. The walls are not damaged.

So anyone know a site, or something to help me?

thanks
Scott

Old 04-21-2007, 06:40 PM   #3

We scraped off the layer of luan that had rotted (in the rear section)and replaced the rotted roof members (most were 2x2 or 2x4 laid on-side) IT is difficult to get the non-damaged luan off the foamboard. If it has gotten wet repeatedly, the contact cement will have failed, making it easier to remove. We completely covered the remaining undamaged luan with a fresh layer of the thinnest luan we could find (glued & screwed). We also pieced in some other sections but if we did it again, we would recover wall to wall. Prime the luan with Kilz or Zinzer before painting or covering with wallpaper (I used preglued anaglypta embossed wallpaper that I used thinned down wallpaper paste to activate the preapplied glue). The wall paneling, we removed completely because we also ran some new wiring & TV cables. I don't know of a website that will take you thru it step by step. Too many variables I guess. Asking specific questions on the Vintage forum would be your best source of info.
Old 04-26-2007, 03:58 PM   #4

Hi Scott,
I have an 82/3 suncruiser 26 footer. I just finished completely removing the roof, rebuilding most of it and replacing it. First off, your roof is made of 1/8th inch luan, on top of that is about 3/4 inch of styrofoam, then a thin layer of cardboard and finally the aluminum skin on top. If the area over the bathroom is all that is damaged you can release the roof in that area, remove the old luan, slide a new piece in, then reattach the roof.

If you want to talk about it you can email me at steve@ipmagic.com.
Old 04-26-2007, 06:18 PM   #5

I tried to email you and it doesn't work Steve.

just go to www.outsidewoodheater.com and email me from there that is my site.

I have a guy coming to help me take it apart on Saturday. Do you mean to remove the roof from inside or outside on my RV?

Scott
Old 05-18-2007, 02:00 PM   #6

Hey Scotty,
How much progress have you made on the roof repair?

Steve.
Old 05-18-2007, 03:56 PM   #7

Well, I got the interior done.......wasn't too bad of a job......replaced the back almost 2 sheets......had a helper and it sure did make it good.......we worked two Saturdays on it.........I am going to take the luggage rack and ladder off my Motorhome.......got some dyco thick stuff and I bought some sealer stuff in a chalking tube at the RV place. I plan on taking 16inch alum. heavy flashing and covering the back area where it had leaked and also the area on each side up from the back about 2 feet. Plan on marking the alum. and using self drilling screws.....but I am going to lay down a good coat of the dyco first after I clean the roof good then the alum goes over it....with the screws on a line.....with the stuff in chalking tube in a line where the screws go.... with dyco on the rest of the underneath of alum. flashing......same thing in front where the front seam is of the big sheet that is on top of the home. Using the stuff in the chalking gun also for the screws on the round corner pieces....take out screws poke the chalkng stuff in......replace screws......hope to work on it tomorrow.....is that a good plan???

Scott
Old 05-18-2007, 03:58 PM   #8

oh yeah......bought new monkey stuff to go around back vent and one of those covers to go over the vent like the new homes have so you can open going down the road........
Old 05-24-2007, 02:36 PM   #9

Sounds like a plan. I also had leaking over the windshield, when I put it back together I went crazy with the butyl tape around the outside moldings around the windshield and then used expanding foam to fill the voids under the molding. Figured that if there is no opening then the water shouldn't get in (I hope)

steve