Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 10-26-2010, 01:11 PM   #1
1983 Alpenlite Winterize

Howdy all. I just purcahse a 1983 Alpenlite 22' 5th wheel and am trying to winterize it. I believe there is suppose to be a water heater bypass valve but I cant seem to find it. All I can find with the hoses that go into the water heater is 2 plastic pressure valves. Please help in informing exactly how tyo winterize this trailer it is suppose to feeze tonight and really need some help. Also does anyone know what sizes and styles I need to replace all the vent cover.

Thanks in advance!!!!

tuffcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2010, 01:55 PM   #2
there is more than one style bypass you say 2 pressure fittings. on back of the wh if you have a bypass there should be 1 or 2 valves on the pipes mine has 1 turn the valve your done drain the tank from the outside then i have a fitting that screws in to the water connection on the outside (walmart) it has a fitting to blow air into the pipes (no more than 20 psi) then open the water facets one at a time (furthest first) until all water is blown out on roof covers remove one go to camping world or rv dealer they are about $15

whem2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 02:05 PM   #3
I follow the two lines that are in the back of the water heater to under the sink and there are two pull up valves that I believe are pressure release valves. I dont see a normal shut off valve anywhere.
Old 10-26-2010, 02:06 PM   #4
If you use this method to winterize you don't need a WH bypass.

RV Winterizing….Blowing Out the Lines Method.

You will need an air compressor or some source of air with an air hose.
An air hose chuck.
A water inlet / air adapter.
And less then a gal. of RV antifreeze.

1. Drain fresh water tank, close valve.
2. Drain hot water heater replace drain plug.
3. Dump and (flush if possible) both black and gray water holding tanks, leave gray water valve open.
4. Screw compressed air adaptor into the fresh water inlet. The adapter is available from Camping World or most RV dealers.
5. Apply compressed air, keeping the pressure at 30 PSI but less than 40 PSI. You may need someone to hold the air hose on the adapter.
6. Open then close each faucet, hot and cold, one valve at a time, allowing the compressed air to force the water out of the line. Don't forget the shower and toilet and outside shower. Remove and replace the ice maker hose on the outside if equipped. Open both low point drains and close.
7. Remove the drain plug from the hot water tank and allow the compressed air to blow out the remaining water. Reinstall drain plug.
8. Remove the compressed air source and adapter. 9. Close gray tank valve.
10. Pour a few cups of RV antifreeze down each drain and toilet.
11. You’re done.
lostagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 02:07 PM   #5
How do you pump the rv anitfreeze into it without it going into the water heater?

Old 10-26-2010, 02:37 PM   #6
Originally Posted by tuffcowboy View Post
How do you pump the rv anitfreeze into it without it going into the water heater?

If you're referring to the post directly above yours, the only place he uses the RV antifreeze is in the P-traps - not in the supply tank or pipes...

John Day....|'88 Winnebago Super Chief 27ft. Class A
Eastern .....|'88 KIT model 240 24 ft. 5er
Oregon ......|'02 Dodge/Cummins 2500 Quad Cab
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote