Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-22-2016, 11:25 AM   #1

1983 Coachman Class RV Battery Charging Issue

So I just bought this RV. It didn't have the RV Battery in it. I wanted the accessories to work when the engine was off so I installed a deep cycle battery. I found the standard looking battery cable for the negative side. The only cable for the positive side is a bolt on that goes toward the back of the RV, I have not yet traced it out. So it does not seem like the battery is charging, power goes off when engine is off. What steps should I take to troubleshoot?

Thanks!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2016, 10:17 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demidion View Post
So I just bought this RV. It didn't have the RV Battery in it. I wanted the accessories to work when the engine was off so I installed a deep cycle battery. I found the standard looking battery cable for the negative side. The only cable for the positive side is a bolt on that goes toward the back of the RV, I have not yet traced it out. So it does not seem like the battery is charging, power goes off when engine is off. What steps should I take to troubleshoot?

Thanks!
Find the inverter, and make sure all of the circuit breakers are on. Also check the fuses with a meter to see if they are all good.

I am also new to the rv world, but this is just the basic stuff I could think of to check.

Old 09-23-2016, 07:42 AM   #3

Thanks! Yes I will be testing the inverter.. I am camping right now and don't have my meter with me. Hopefully I'll be able to check it this weekend. I am uncertain if the only connection to the battery should be from the inverter. There is no connection to the regular charging circuit?
Old 09-23-2016, 09:31 AM   #4

I am not new to RVs.

Why do you need the inverter?
Converter - makes DC from AC
Inverter - makes AC from DC

This bolt may well be where the positive cable is supposed to connect.

Is this right?
You have inside (house) DC with either shore power or main engine run?
If yes, go on.

When you have a meter do this check.
When you have house DC, do you find ~12V between the bolt and the negative terminal?
If yes, put a cable on the bolt and use it. PO probably removed the postive cable because it was corroded or he couldn't think of an easier way to keep it from shorting to ground.

Frank
Old 09-23-2016, 05:24 PM   #5

Whoops I meant converter. There is a wire connected to the 12V output... I need to trace the wires out and make sure the wire connected to the converter is the same wire connected to the battery... and in looking at it I am not sure it is. Right now it is too wet to be crawling under the RV lol. I will be getting my meter this weekend too
Old 09-25-2016, 12:15 PM   #6

You will find a meter is an item you should have in an older rv. Walmart has on in the automotive department that even has a thermocouple to measure temperatures with for $20.
Do an measurement of the DC voltage with the engine off and not connected to shore power. Then check with shore power on, then disconnect shore power and start the engine. This will tell you what you have for charging the house battery.
Your fridge more than likely needs 12 vdc to operate the controls even when it is on propane.

Tags
battery, charging