Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-07-2011, 12:21 AM   #57

Hey I just pit mobile 1 synthetic 5w30... But I noticed after it has a different rating than recommended... But that was the specs from 1983... Also said " new car formula"... That gonna work or will it be to thin?
ROLLNSMOKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2011, 05:32 AM   #58

5w30 will work, although, unless you're going to be in really fridgid temperatures, I would have gone with 10w30.

HOWEVER, that said, you would probably be better off with a diesel oil like Mobil Delvac or Rotella T in the 15w40 rating. Those oils are still forumulated for engines with flat tappet valvetrains, and all the newer oils are formulated for roller cams. The newest formulations, which you can buy very reasonably even at WalMart, are formulated to stand up to continuous oil temperatures approaching 250 degrees, which is the temperature in the newest diesel engines with EGR and particulate filters.

Now let the arguing begin!

And just in passing, anything newer than about 1982 should have a 195 degree thermostat in it for the engine to run properly. If you don't have a catalytic converter, it's probably not crucial.
Old 08-08-2011, 12:27 AM   #59

Ya I used to always run thicker oil thinking it was better but after running the he'll outta my 97 F-150 for 405,000 km's using mobile one synthetic 5w30, I seen that thicker oil isn't always better. And it's cold here in the mornings , I'm in the rocky mountains. But I like that info on the oil being formulated for roller cams... That may be a problem in this old454... Would still like to find a 5 w 30 synthetic from mobile 1 for my engine.
Old 08-08-2011, 12:32 AM   #60

With the hills I pull around here, even on cold days that fan clutch kicks on all the time. I want it so it doesn't kick on at all if possible, hence the lower thermostat.
Old 08-08-2011, 03:03 AM   #61

for the air bags to get the proper ride hight on my rv (front end weighs 4800 lbs). i run 65 lbs in rear i run 60
whem2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 01:05 PM   #62

I have no real stake in this conversation...just readin' for entertainment and a bit of general knowledge. Great Thread!

rollnsmoke, In your search for 5W30 Mobil1; I may have something of interest to you. My daily driver is a Benz S600 twin turbo. The required oil(to avoid warranty hassle) is Mobil1 0W30 E spec. It used to be pretty hard to find but even good ole' Wally World stocks it now in my neck of the woods. That v12 is one seriously high strung lump and it has run without a sneeze now for 140K miles and I don't baby it. In actuallity, I really get a kick out of terrifying unsuspecting passengers. It's just entertaining to watch a little old lady's face wrap back around her ears......Sorry Grandma

It pours like orange juice but seems to provide the needed protection at least as well as a heavier oil. Granted, there are no flat tappets involved. Either way, it may be worth a look.

2004 Country Coach Magna Chalet/ Cat C15
Samdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 09:09 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdon View Post
I have no real stake in this conversation...just readin' for entertainment and a bit of general knowledge. Great Thread!

rollnsmoke, In your search for 5W30 Mobil1; I may have something of interest to you. My daily driver is a Benz S600 twin turbo. The required oil(to avoid warranty hassle) is Mobil1 0W30 E spec. It used to be pretty hard to find but even good ole' Wally World stocks it now in my neck of the woods. That v12 is one seriously high strung lump and it has run without a sneeze now for 140K miles and I don't baby it. In actuallity, I really get a kick out of terrifying unsuspecting passengers. It's just entertaining to watch a little old lady's face wrap back around her ears......Sorry Grandma

It pours like orange juice but seems to provide the needed protection at least as well as a heavier oil. Granted, there are no flat tappets involved. Either way, it may be worth a look.
Ya I have a 2010 jeep rubicon and it calls for 5w20 engine oil...I now have 0w20 synthetic mobile one and they say it has better protection that the regular 5w20...plus its supposed to save fuel. poors like water...guess we'll see how it works out...
Old 11-01-2011, 01:26 AM   #64

Ok..well i was thinking of selling the pace Arrow but now im having second thoughts...it's just so fun to drive....

Took it on my four day shift last week in the mountains where i work...I NEED A WOOD STOVE!!!! lol
I really like this thing because it is more like a house inside than a camper..
Can anyone tell me where I can read about the history of my 1983 Pace Arrow? I read some literature on how the Fleetwood bounder was made but didn't c anything on the P.A??
There was supposed to be a luxery model and i'm wondering if mine is that one?? It has the couch/bed and two nice chairs with a table in the middle.
Just needs the woodstove to complete the package...the heater in this thing would never keep u warm during the winter months...but the plumbing is all in the same area so as long as the heater is going the water won't freeze. The black and grey water tanks will freeze however and I have a few ideas on how to prevent that from happening...
I put the one size larger tires on and i'm sure it will make a huge difference in the snow because these are all terrain tires....
Old 11-18-2011, 08:18 PM   #65

R.I.P Jim...didn't know you for very long but you sure were pretty helpfull to a stranger...
Old 11-19-2011, 08:47 PM   #66

Jim will be dearly missed around here. He took with him a vast knowledge of these old RV's that is unrivaled, and Jim truly loved sharing his knowledge to help out his fellow RVers.
Rodney
Roughboy is offline   Reply With Quote