Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-09-2010, 03:42 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
1983 Fleetwood Pace Arrow water pump belt

Today as I was warming up the engine in my motorhome I walked away just to discover that on my return the engine was overheating and blowing the water out, after it cooled I discovered that a belt [dayco top cog 15495 11a1255 belt] was wrapped up in my fan blade, and being it over heated I had to assume it was my water pump belt, can any one please give me advice on how to replace this belt, It looks all but impossible to get at.

And did I do any damage to my engine, I don't think it ran more that 7 to 8 more total time before I discovered

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2010, 04:30 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
On mine the outside (front) belt ran from crank to alt., AIR Pump and water pump. The inside belt ran from crank to water pump to power steering. That belt is fairly easy to change, just loosen the alt.
I blew that belt once between Barstow and Needles, the power steering belt was sufficient to run the water pump except when the fan clutch engaged. Hopefully your fan clutch slipped enough to keep your pump moving in spite of your fan blades stopped.
good luck

Old 10-10-2010, 12:48 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Amended question

Today I went underneaths to see if i can get in the right place to replace the belt and was unable to find any place that would allow me to reach this belt, so that is now out of the question , so I must now assume all work must be done inside the motorhome under the door, is this correct?

Any and all help will be appreciated.
Old 10-10-2010, 01:06 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
How many owner perfrom most of the work on thier motorhome?

Today while I was trying to determine how to replace a belt, in my 83 Pace Arrow, and finding that it seems to me it is all but impossible to get anywhere near the engine to perform much of the work due to the confined work space, I must now ask myself how many motor-home owners perform most of the work needed on their motor-home?

This is asking those whom are not full time mechanics anyway.
Old 10-10-2010, 01:34 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by kartvines View Post
Today while I was trying to determine how to replace a belt, in my 83 Pace Arrow, and finding that it seems to me it is all but impossible to get anywhere near the engine to perform much of the work due to the confined work space, I must now ask myself how many motor-home owners perform most of the work needed on their motor-home?

This is asking those whom are not full time mechanics anyway.
The "work space" is only confined by the fan shroud and when you disconnect the staples that hold it together and replace those staples with 1/4-20 bolts life becomes much easier.....
I drill pilot holes first to re-align the shroud during reassembly....
After everything is cleaned up the next step is MAKE SURE all of the rotating parts are lined up by using a straight edge and thin rope (fishing string ) will do for a center to center line up....
PITA.....You bet but with every pulley in perfect alignment (aint gonna be easy) that ends the V-belt problems...
By using the reinstalled BOLTS (3 on each side) you can pop off the top of the shroud for easy replacement of the fan clutch or digging around for that bypass hose that likes to leak.....

Jim
Old 10-10-2010, 03:12 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
The belt is easily accessible without removing the fan shroud. Jacking up the pass side front and turning that wheel to the right allows ample room for working from that side. Entry from above with the doghouse removed will allow you to insert a prybar for belt adjustment.
You will need a 1/2" box end wrench for the top alternator adjustment bolt and a 9/16" box end to loosen the 3/8" mounting bolt going into the head.........this is unless your M/H varies greatly from my previous
'84 S.Wind & '83 P-30 Chassis.
Old 10-17-2010, 04:11 PM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Well today Sunday 10/17/10 I was able to get that belt replaced, compared to the other belt it seems too tight so I guess I will have to run it and see if it loosen up a bit, pain in the backside to get it where it needed to be, got my arm stuck in the fan blades, fortunately I got our without too much embarrassment, I guess overall it was that hard, but I would hate to try and replace the other ones, Can anyone tell me the correct number for all of the belt and hoses, so I can locate them all as spares, again it is a 83 Pace Arrow 31ft, a Chevy 454 on a P-30 chassis.