Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-24-2016, 07:47 PM   #1

1984 454 stalling

Hi all names Buzz. I'm new to motor home traveling. I bought a 1984 Itasca with a chev 454 motor I've made some small trips 30 miles to camp with no problems I live in the Pismo Beach area, last week went to Fresno about half way and just died. sat awhile took loose full filter put back and restarted next stop died again so I put a new filter on thinking junk in the filter drove some more just as I got in town died again So put clear filter on to see if junk in line guess what no junk. It was very hot could it be vapor lock carburetor it would not start at one point so used starter fluid started away I went died one more time going up hill used fluid again but took awhile any thoughts. thanks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2016, 06:43 AM   #2

Your P-30 chassis has a second fuel filter. Hidden along the passenger side frame rail about halfway between the gas tank and engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzn View Post
Hi all names Buzz. I'm new to motor home traveling. I bought a 1984 Itasca with a chev 454 motor I've made some small trips 30 miles to camp with no problems I live in the Pismo Beach area, last week went to Fresno about half way and just died. sat awhile took loose full filter put back and restarted next stop died again so I put a new filter on thinking junk in the filter drove some more just as I got in town died again So put clear filter on to see if junk in line guess what no junk. It was very hot could it be vapor lock carburetor it would not start at one point so used starter fluid started away I went died one more time going up hill used fluid again but took awhile any thoughts. thanks.

George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 08:03 AM   #3

Drive out as much fuel as you can then seek out every gas can you can borrow to allow you to pump out rest of the fuel.

The curvy mountain roads provided good agitation to unsettle the crud in the tank.

Check other filter then get a couple spares as you may need to change on the road.

Get the tank empty then clean it out.

One can use water with lye that will really do the job but that only works if you are certian you have lowest spot drain or if you can pull the tank.

A unit that old is likely to have a fair amount if stuff in it if it has had long park times.
Old 07-25-2016, 12:59 PM   #4

1984 454 stalling

Thanks George, That was the only filter that I found and changed with a clear filter and there is no junk in the tank. I found a form about the p30 from cheve about vapor lock in 1983 they did a study but did not start the fix until 1988. The fuel line is running inside the frame and is only 4 inches from exhaust pipe. I need to ether move the gas line or insulate it to keep from getting to hot every thing I read was most likely vapor lock. Thank you for that help just in case I did not find that filter.
Old 07-25-2016, 06:55 PM   #5

Buzz, if your unit has a quadrajet carb, there is a filter on the carb where the fuel line connects.
Old 07-25-2016, 07:50 PM   #6

I may be all wrong but I have a memory of my dad in the 80's putting a quart of 30 weight oil in the gas when he filled up his motor home. He too had a big problem with vapor locking and said that the oil fixed the problem. He is gone now so I can not ask him. You might give it a try if you want.
scdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 10:12 AM   #7

The Demon Tweak is a second fuel pump at or in the fuel tank to get the fuel up to the engine pump.