Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-01-2013, 12:54 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
1984 Fleetwood Southwind Water Heater

Have a 1984 Fleetwood Southwind. The water heater is an Atwood “remote start” 6 gallon. I need the model number. Label is missing. Also need to know where the 12 volt power is fed from. Can’t get power to it. Put a “hound dog” on the wire but no luck. Ran a jumper to the heater from the battery and the heater started right up and got the water hot but keep heating until I removed the jumper. This is a gas model. Good news is that it is about 75 outside and the sun is shinning.
Rodney In TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2013, 12:58 PM   #2
TRD

Rodney, this may be a stupid question, but did you check the switch to see if you have power to it?

Terry
TRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:18 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Have a 1984 Fleetwood Southwind. The water heater is an Atwood “remote start” 6 gallo

Yes. No power. Wire leaves the switch and I can only follow it until it goes behind the cook stove. Get the hound dog signal in and out of the switch but that is as far as I can trace it.
Old 04-01-2013, 02:16 PM   #4
TRD

OK, another stupid question. Have you checked all the fuses? The circuit is going to be fused somewhere
TRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:12 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Rodney In TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRD View Post
OK, another stupid question. Have you checked all the fuses? The circuit is going to be fused somewhere
Checked all fuses that I know about. Don't know where it is fed from. Assume from house batteries. Just looking for someone that might still owe one of these models. Not a switch labeled in this old hot rod. Found fuses on the firewall in front of the engine. None were labeled water heater. Pulled all and checked if the were good. Next option is to bull in a new wire.
Old 04-02-2013, 02:14 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Still need a model number. Need to figure out what regulates the temperature to shut down the heater.
Old 04-02-2013, 02:42 PM   #7
Community Administrator

I was trying to find something out on the water heater. I down loaded the 1984 Southwind manual. Here's a link to it in case you don't have one.
http://fleetwoodrv.com/partsandservi..._SOUTHWIND.pdf
Sorry but the WH model # wasn't there.
Maybe a call to FW might get you an answer. It's an outside shot but here's their # 800-322-8216.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:01 AM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney In TX View Post
Still need a model number. Need to figure out what regulates the temperature to shut down the heater.
My water heater in my 1989 Southwind is a model G6A-6E. Yours could be an earlier revision model such as a 3E or 4E. The ECO therostats would control the temperature of the unit.

Here is a link for the manual.
http://www.atwoodmobile.com/manuals/...2011.19.07.pdf

Parts list link.
http://www.laurelhurstdistributors.c...wood_elec.html
geno39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:21 AM   #9

Ok il try you fuse is directly over the battery's labeled DSI is the switch over the fridge PM me ill get you my number I have a 1985 28 foot ill be home about 5:30
whem2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:34 PM   #10

Florida Cooters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
If you don't get an answer by this weekend, I can look at mine as I have an '84 Southwind Eagle. It's not kept at the house, otherwise I'd get it sooner.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:44 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by geno39 View Post
My water heater in my 1989 Southwind is a model G6A-6E. Yours could be an earlier revision model such as a 3E or 4E. The ECO therostats would control the temperature of the unit.

Here is a link for the manual.
http://www.atwoodmobile.com/manuals/...2011.19.07.pdf

Parts list link.
Laurelhurst Distributors Parts Breakdown - Atwood Water Heaters
Thanks! Looks like that is the model. Still looking where it is fed from.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:07 AM   #12

Did you see my post I looked yesterday fed off house battery then thru a buss bar in the fuse box look above the battery's there will be fuses behind the plastic cover its marked DSI
Old 04-05-2013, 05:16 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by whem2fish View Post
Did you see my post I looked yesterday fed off house battery then thru a buss bar in the fuse box look above the battery's there will be fuses behind the plastic cover its marked DSI
Found It. Will trace down the circuit In the morning and let you know what I find. Fuse looks good but don't mean it is. Will pull fuse and hook up hound dog and see where it leads me.
Old 04-06-2013, 06:20 AM   #14

sounds good keep in mind there is 3 batterys there emitting gases i had problems there from corrosion

Tags
fleetwood, heater, southwind, water