Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-26-2015, 10:13 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump View Post
.... I'll go thru the bearings and pack them correctly and probably slap on some bearing buddies. ....
Beware the use of Bearing Buddies on a TT equipped with brakes. The BBs are intended for use on boat trailers and maintain a positive pressure on the bearings/grease so as to exclude water infiltration. On trailers with brakes, BBs have been known to squeeeze out grease onto the braking surfaces with bad/expensive result...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2015, 10:20 AM   #30
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by austex View Post
Beware the use of Bearing Buddies on a TT equipped with brakes. The BBs are intended for use on boat trailers and maintain a positive pressure on the bearings/grease so as to exclude water infiltration. On trailers with brakes, BBs have been known to squeeeze out grease onto the braking surfaces with bad/expensive result...
I agree.
If it had Eze-Lube axles, they have the correct grease channels and seals --- and they too require caution about over lubing. There really is no easy way. Inspect, clean and regrease every couple years or 12K miles just like the cars of the past.

Old 01-26-2015, 02:08 PM   #31

I have a recently purchased 1982 Holiday Rambler Inperial TT. I dug around and found what passes for an owners manual. It consists of a book for the 'fridge (Dometic), Stove (Magic Chef), radio (cannot remember off the top of my head), and general nonsense that is not good for much.

Looks like the factory make some improvements over the two year difference in our trailers. The indention on the side of the cabinet is for a bracket that supports a small extension for the cabinet top. The two valves you cannot identify under the floor under the sink are for draining the system for storage. Hook up the water, leave them open, and you will see water running out under the trailer.....ask me how I know. I am in the process of a complete interior remodel myself. Not much infor out there for mid '80's Holiday Rambler TT for some reason. If the A/C does not work (most likely), unless you know someone who knows someone, who knows someone, you cannot obtain the necessary "freon" to recharge it. I have a license that allows me to purchase such fluid, and I cannot find it!

Feel free to contact me at dowoplover@gmail.com. I will tell what little I know about your/our TT.

Good Luck/Enjoy!
Old 01-27-2015, 07:03 PM   #32

It appears from the photos your rig is in very good shape to be a 1984! Our first new camper was a 1989 Holiday Rambler Alumalite travel trailer. Holiday Rambler use to build extremely well made travel trailers. Our current unit is a 2005 HR Alumascape tt- which we have been well pleased with. The new HR units are NOT built near as well. By the way, Imperial was top of the line HR travel trailer in 1984 - Congrats on your "barn find"
Old 01-27-2015, 07:04 PM   #33

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dowoplover View Post
I have a recently purchased 1982 Holiday Rambler Inperial TT. I dug around and found what passes for an owners manual. It consists of a book for the 'fridge (Dometic), Stove (Magic Chef), radio (cannot remember off the top of my head), and general nonsense that is not good for much.

Looks like the factory make some improvements over the two year difference in our trailers. The indention on the side of the cabinet is for a bracket that supports a small extension for the cabinet top. The two valves you cannot identify under the floor under the sink are for draining the system for storage. Hook up the water, leave them open, and you will see water running out under the trailer.....ask me how I know. I am in the process of a complete interior remodel myself. Not much infor out there for mid '80's Holiday Rambler TT for some reason. If the A/C does not work (most likely), unless you know someone who knows someone, who knows someone, you cannot obtain the necessary "freon" to recharge it. I have a license that allows me to purchase such fluid, and I cannot find it!

Feel free to contact me at dowoplover@gmail.com. I will tell what little I know about your/our TT.

Good Luck/Enjoy!
Thank you! Great info. When you are draining it, is it supposed to run out the bottom I assume? I emailed you my current concerns.
Old 01-27-2015, 07:40 PM   #34

Well I started beefing and leveling up the top of base cabinets to handle the marble counter tops. Ran into an issue concerning the stove fitting correctly and I'll have to make a filler trim piece below the stove but it'll work. There's more vertical bracing then the pics show. I have slight concern the marble might become a missile with an abrupt stop, so beyond liquid nailing boards to the marble and then screwing the boards to the base cabinets I'll have to tie it in even more.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-01-25 016.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	268.7 KB
ID:	84460   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-01-25 009.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	268.3 KB
ID:	84461  

Name:	2015-01-25 017.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	238.4 KB
ID:	84463   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-01-25 011.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	260.3 KB
ID:	84464  

Name:	2015-01-25 019.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	212.4 KB
ID:	84465  
Old 01-27-2015, 08:47 PM   #35
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creekcamper View Post
It appears from the photos your rig is in very good shape to be a 1984! Our first new camper was a 1989 Holiday Rambler Alumalite travel trailer. Holiday Rambler use to build extremely well made travel trailers. Our current unit is a 2005 HR Alumascape tt- which we have been well pleased with. The new HR units are NOT built near as well. By the way, Imperial was top of the line HR travel trailer in 1984 - Congrats on your "barn find"
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 11:55 PM   #36

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
How cool, Will you leave the interior as is ? going to be a interesting read as you progress.
Congrats,
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 08:49 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
Thank you JohnRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by spritz View Post
How cool, Will you leave the interior as is ? going to be a interesting read as you progress.
Congrats,
Tim
It'll be left as is, there's really nothing else wrong with it interior wise, yet, except maybe the bathroom countertop, which has some wearing on the edges. An ac light fixture is loose and I'd like to replace the tape deck radio with a head unit that has wifi or a aux/in for the kids music. The rest of the interior has no issues, Knock on wood.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2015-01-19 022.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	213.0 KB
ID:	84546  
Old 01-29-2015, 12:29 PM   #38

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
That is good new's I have tried to leave mine as was but had to replace the curtains because I washed them and got thread back after the wash oyea I replaced the dash stereo/speakers really sounds good I added a big Yamaha sub-woofer from the S&B
Looks nice and like you said there's not much wrong with it.
Have a great day.
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 07:15 PM   #39

I figured out the no ac electric in the back of the trailer issue. If was the outside receptacle. It was the below pain in the butt receptacle. The hot that continues on was not in the wedge thing. The metal tabs that hold these to the wall are a PIA. I wonder what type of tool they used to bend the tabs into place when they were installed.

I finished up the base cabinet bracing for both countertops. Need to cut 1/4" piece off of a 26" piece of marble. It's too wide. Then I found a piece of marble with the brackets on it for the little table that pops up at the end of the countertop (bonus). I need to figure out how to attach the metal bracket better to the marble. Someone cut out the marble so screw heads would fit but their adhesive choice didn't work too good. Then I braced up the end of the countertop because that little piece of marble must weigh 20 pounds.

I got the old radio with a tape deck working. I thought it was toast. Guess I'll keep it. Illumination on the faceplate is not working and I'll get to that. Speakers suck though.

I also installed the new Inteli-power converter which was very easy to mount where the old one was by drilling 3 new holes in the metal brackets.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2015-02-01 004.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	193.5 KB
ID:	84919   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-02-01 005.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	199.9 KB
ID:	84920  

Name:	2015-02-01 006.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	199.1 KB
ID:	84921   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-02-01 007.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	236.0 KB
ID:	84922  

Name:	2015-02-01 010.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	229.8 KB
ID:	84923  
Old 02-02-2015, 01:23 AM   #40

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Gump, nice TT! When doing the counters in the kitchen area, did you consider doing the counter in the bath to match? Would look great if they matched! Those plugin connections on the receptacles never were a good idea, easy , yes, but always a problem! Glad you found it! Keep up the good work!
Just hanging out, watching! Rail!
PS, welcome to the HR group!
Old 02-02-2015, 06:23 AM   #41
IC2

Ahhh yes, I recall a similar problem (2x) with our now gone Titanium. I replaced them with conventional Leviton 'Decora' which maintain the look but have screw connections and in a shallow old work box. There was enough wire in mine that I had no problem with cutting and installing. The trailer manufacturers use the 'pass through' no box type so they can save bucks installing (time is money)
Old 02-02-2015, 11:16 AM   #42

I had a similar issue on one of my outlets. I cut wires and spliced where I just had one "pigtail" to push under the clips. works like a champ. Great idea on the Decora outlets. I wanted to change out from brown to ivory in a couple of spots.

Tags
holiday rambler