Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 01-07-2015, 08:53 AM   #1
1984 Vogue II - 29' -454/P30 - rear bath

Hello to All. I'm Jim, commonly referred to as justoljim2 and I've been a sideline reader for a couple of years or so reading the many posts and trying to capture and, hopefully, absorb some of the vast information available here. The DW and I have been looking at the various manufacturers and models of used motorhomes for sale. Our primary goal is to find a well maintained higher end quality built unit that we can enjoy and feel comfortable in. We have been reviewing units in the mid 30s length and manufactured time of 1990/1995. The primary manufacturers to date include but certainly not limited to Vogue, Hawkins, Foretravel, Monaco (Signature Crown Royale), with Holiday Rambler and Country Coach included in that search as well. No full timing is planned but some distance/extended term, 1 month or longer, trips have been discussed.

I've had an opportunity to talk on several occasions with an individual who lost most of his lower limb movement in an auto accident a number of years ago. He is not totally confined to a wheelchair and has owned a 1984 Vogue II 29' chevy 454/P30, rear bath, center twin sleeping unit for almost 10 years. He is 3rd owner, original being a couple for about 15 years, then a single gentleman who removed the sofa and chair in living area and used the space for a small lathe to make custom pool cues. This was a small portable shop for him. The current owner has traveled throughout the mid and southwest over the last several years in the unit, but on going health issues are forcing him to curtail trips. He lives alone, but still able to drive and function reasonably well. As stated earlier, I believe him to be a truthful and honest person. He has commented that he would not hesitate to "fire her up" and head Anywhere subject to replacing the drive tires. Front are less than 2 years old with about 5000 miles. He further stated that all systems , other than engine AC work as intended. Outside appears good with no cracks, delam, damage. Paint is remarkable considering the age. Unit has Banks system, headers exhaust, etc. and a Super Steer? bell crank was installed in late 2013. All shocks, springs, air bags, etc are reported in good condition. Owner stated he has always done repair when needed and proper service as he cannot afford to be "stranded" or delayed with breakdown. He wants his vehicles and other items to be "Ready to Go" when needed. Current mileage is 93700.

Now to this unit. Since we were thinking more along the lines of a 35' or so
diesel unit, this 29' unit, providing it to be as described or even close might be a good interim unit. The absence of furniture would provide opportunity for upgrade of floors, furniture, driver and passenger recover, (8 way driver & passenger currently work fine), etc. Who knows, we might decide to forego further search. Current purchase cost plus careful cost control of upgrades would still keep unit in a decent "sellable" status should we decide on a larger unit later. I would like confirmation or info on the following:

1) Tank sizes - Gas (80 gal), Fresh Water (60 gal), Black & Gray (40 gal)
2) Weights
3) Towing capacity realizing hitch influence.
4) Unit has the tub/shower module. My wife is diabetic and even this low step into tub may be a problem. Does anyone have manuals or documents depicting the tub shower dimensions? Would a revamp of bath area, i.e. walk-in shower, new vanity, etc. be feasible with consideration of drain lines, etc.?

Any input specific to this unit, Vogue quality, unit comparability to other "similar" quality units, etc. is graciously appreciated. I owned a 27' Class A in early 80s so have owned and maintained a motorhome before. I can do most mechanical/ operation repair so costs will be minimized as much as possible.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	01.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	82868   Click image for larger version

Name:	02.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	82869  

Click image for larger version

Name:	03.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	82870   Click image for larger version

Name:	15.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	275.7 KB
ID:	82871  

justoljim2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2015, 08:11 PM   #2

Welcome! There are several positives here.
  1. Vogue was a higher end unit to begin with so quality is built in.
  2. The Chevy P-30 chassis and T400 transmission are pretty durable and parts are readily available. The MPG isn't great but gas is a good bit cheaper than diesel right now. You'd likely get 7-8 MPG in that unit.
  3. Cost - That unit should cost a lot less than a 1990-1994 Foretravel ($25,000-35,000)
Vogue is an orphan brand (no longer around) but they are starting to develop a following. Most RV items are stock items (AC, stove, fridge, water heater, sofa, etc) and the P-30 chassis is very common.

Fred H.
1977 Argosy 20 MH
ViewRVs.com - Classic and Vintage RV Photo Archives
ViewRVs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 06:33 AM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Look's good to me, Sure is a lot cleaner than mine was when I bought her going on 5 years ago.
Love it. Like the exterior shape.
Have Fun and share some pic's if you redo the interior. Yours has the same curtains/shades as mine.
1982 Pace Arrow 30ft.
KarKaddy SS, Toad:99 Concours
Lilly and Rubie Our 4 legged Kids & Tim & Joe
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote

454, p30