Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-08-2011, 08:57 PM   #1

1984 winnebago elandan

Hello All ! Ive been lurking around for a few weeks now because we just acquired the Elandan. Its a Great coach in great shape, not much to fix that i know of, BUT I do have a few questions...

1. The Coach lights stopped working when on dc power only.. the fridge works on dc, the water pump works on dc, stove hood works, everything that usually works ,works except for the lights. im stumped.. Any thoughts.. (Checked Fuses All Good )

2.Gas issue... I filled up both tanks (most i ever spent on gas)When i filled up the reserve( who knew that one is in front ) fuel spewed out the top of the tank , im thinking filler tube.. But i really don't want to drop take before i get opinions... Also when they are full i smell gas. don't see any leaks anywhere. thoughts ...?

thanks for the reply s
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2011-07-04 09.14.51.jpg (95.3 KB, 199 views)
File Type: jpg 2011-07-04 09.38.47.jpg (97.6 KB, 179 views)

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2011, 09:29 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hello Whit and Welcome to the Forum!
Luv those old Elandans!

As for the lights, you could have a bad connection at the first light in the "line". By that I mean that all the lights might be on a single line and if the first light had a bad or broken wire, they are all out. This is only a guess but seems logical. Trouble is, which is the first fixture in the circuit??? I would start pulling light fixtures and checking for voltage.

For the gas tanks and fumes, you are probably correct that the filler tube hose is rotted out. My coach is 11 years newer than yours and the rubber hose on the filler tube is badly cracked but not yet leaking. Unfortunately, gotta drop the tank to change it.

Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 12:15 AM   #3

As for the lights I would agree that you have an issue. I had the same type of thing with my TT (91) and when I began pulling fixtures at the back and worked my way upfront I found that the previous owner had wired the next 2 outlets wrong. Fixed the wires and everything worked great.

Good Luck
Arnold
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 08:24 AM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club

Nice looking rig. As has been said, it sounds like a simple wiring problem.
blackf3504dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 10:31 AM   #5

Cool

i think everything is wired right..cause they work on shore power or generator. Also i think , but i cant remember, they work when we first got Cracklin' Rose ( aka Rosey, Due to the wonderful Rose / Pink interior ). i was thinking something with the inverter ( diode, relay, i don't know) guess ill keep searching.

Ive read in other posts of a switch for ac/dc operation . Does anyone know if there is one for Rosey.

one more thing that may be related to the light issue . i cant have both ac units running at the same time. there's a selector switch for front or back unit, when on the front it says back should work. when generator is on both units will work, but on shore power its just one or the other .

thanks for the input!
Old 07-09-2011, 04:56 PM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
i cant have both ac units running at the same time. there's a selector switch for front or back unit, when on the front it says back should work. when generator is on both units will work, but on shore power its just one or the other

This is because you have a 30 amp coach, like all motorhomes of the era. When on 30 amp shore power, you will only be able to select one AC.

Usually there is a separate circuit for the back AC; your gennie is wired to energize both the separate back AC and the rest of the coach (including front AC) at the same time.

Perfectly normal and not related to your light circuits, which are 12 volt. The problem you describe of just the lights not working while on the batteries is really a mystery to me.

Normally either batteries or <AC converted to DC through the> converter power the different 12 volt circuits through the 12 volt distribution panel. If the lighting works on one source, it should work on the other- it doesn't matter what energizes the distribution panel.

If for some bizarre reason, you have a separate circuit direct from the batteries to the lighting, bypassing the distribution panel, and this circuit fails, you could get the scenario of no lights while on batteries. There is no reason to wire the lighting circuit in that way, but I can't think of any other way you'd get just the situation you describe.

You need somebody smarter than me!

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 05:03 PM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
FYI-

Converter: changes 120 volt AC power from shore connection or generator to 12 volt DC power, to run your interior lights, water pump, possibly your fridge if its a 3-way. A converter will be built in to your rig's power center.

Inverter: changes 12 volt DC from your batteries to 120 volt AC power to run TV's, computers, small appliances. An inverter can be small, maybe just a couple hundred watts and plugs into the cigarette lighter , or large, like 2000 or 3000 watts,and capable of powering AC fridges and other large appliances. These are usually built in and may or may not be original equipment in your older rig. Inverters were not common in vintage RVs.

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
elandan, winnebago