Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-21-2010, 11:37 AM   #1

1985 Allegro MH Help

Hello,
My name is Tammy.
I just bought a 1985 Allegro MH
So far I know nothing about it. can not find anyone that has or has have one.
I do not know how to hook up the tank for gas to use the stove the only thing that works in the MH is the Microwave.
I can't even get the fridge to work. I live in this full time at a full year round campground.
I know have lights for the inside and last night my bed was soaked with water from the rain (not good waking up all wet)
I looked at the Vent that is above my bed and took off the cover and found nothing but rotten wood on the right side of it the left looks good. I do not know what i need to do about this I just want the leaks to stop. anyone please help

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2010, 12:12 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNRVNewBe View Post
Hello,
My name is Tammy.
I just bought a 1985 Allegro MH
So far I know nothing about it. can not find anyone that has or has have one.
I do not know how to hook up the tank for gas to use the stove the only thing that works in the MH is the Microwave.
I can't even get the fridge to work. I live in this full time at a full year round campground.
I know have lights for the inside and last night my bed was soaked with water from the rain (not good waking up all wet)
I looked at the Vent that is above my bed and took off the cover and found nothing but rotten wood on the right side of it the left looks good. I do not know what i need to do about this I just want the leaks to stop. anyone please help
Tammy, You have found a great place for help as many of us have the 80s models and work on them all/most of the time....
For the propane on the stove perhaps the main tank is empty, Or else you need to turn the valve on, Personally I would get the "Extend a stay" and connect it to the propane regulator and this way you can leave the rig at home and just change the bottles....
For now I would just tape some plastic over the vent for later repair.

Jim

Old 04-22-2010, 01:17 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Do a search in all the forums for "roof repair" and you'll see lots of threads with info on fixing leaks; it's a very common problem and has been discussed many times. You should at least cover it with a tarp or plastic temporarily to prevent further leaking and allow things to dry out, so that repairs can begin.

Your appliances such as the stove are almost certainly commonly used models, even if your RV is 1985. Normally the stove only needs two things done to work: 1) open the shutoff valve on the LP tank, and 2) light the pilot light on the stove, usually under the range top and in the middle of the burners. That is, of course, assuming you have gas in the LP tank. It may take a minute or so for gas to reach the pilot light if it hasn't been lit for a while.

If you post makes and model numbers of your appliances you will likely get better info, or do a Google search for more info. It's amazing how much info is out there. My RV is 1987 year so possible some things are the same but I need to know model numbers from you.

Bob

If you're in a hurry, you shouldn't be RV'ing
RVee'r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 05:20 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Tammy,

Your Allegro is typical of an older coach that hasn't had the best of care.
Leaky roof and a dead fridge. I'm guessing the roof air conditioner(s) is also dead and the furnace is noisy if it even works at all.

I'm with Jim on getting an "extend-a-stay" kit and external propane bottle that you can easily refill. The one on a motorhome is fixed in place so you can't remove it to refill. The kit is a hose and special fittings that allow you to use a small propane bottle as for a BBQ - like this -

I'm also agreeing with a tarp over the leaky area untill things dry up. To fix, you'll need to remove the ceiling panels and replace the rotten wood. Then seal up the roof on the outside. No silicone sealers please - there are good RV specific caulks, tapes (e.g. Eternabond) and sealants.

The dead fridge MIGHT be fixable but if you are going to stay hooked up at a park then buying a small residential fridge is a much cheaper solution.
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 09:27 PM   #5

wow

Ok i have fixed the vent leak in my bedroom thank god its pouring rain as i type.
i will get model numbers of the stove I don't know what the LP thing is your speaking of so until I find out what that is I can't get the model number off of it.
I have bought 2 17 gas tanks used for grilling I can't find a extend a stay I don't know if I am asking the sales people the wrong thing or not but I explain o them that I want it for gas I don't know. I have noticed that the whole roof will be needing repaired. it has alot of dry rot on it. MONEY wow.. I am in the process of looking for the turn on valve for the stove and still can not find it. as for the furnace well seems like they had it apart there isn't heat coming from it but the fan works so i dunno if that is a good thing or not.
I am removing the fridge out and making storage, I have a full size one out on the deck I just need a roof over that one lol
but I am sure I will have more questions later when it comes to things like the bathroom omg the shower leaks from the drain.... floor was soaked.... another repair just don't know how to do it.
Old 04-24-2010, 09:39 PM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Tammy, look at the photo posted in Nick-B's reply, it shows an external "Extend-A-Stay" tank connected to the RV's LP tank (LP = liquid propane). The LP tank will have a round knob for turning on/off the gas in the tank, and will be marked "Open" and "Close" with arrows indicating which way to turn it. Open it, and try lighting your stove's pilot light. If the tank has gas in it, the pilot should light. If not, then the "Extend-A-Stay" method could be used. Otherwise, the RV has to be driven to an LP dealer to have your tank refilled. The LP tank location has to be one of your external bays, they are never inside the RV. So, open each one until you see a tank with regulator & valve. Frequently there will be a label over the opening that says "LP" (to help locate it) but it may be worn off on your rig.

You sound a bit overwhelmed but just prioritize and take things one at a time!

Bob

If you're in a hurry, you shouldn't be RV'ing
RVee'r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 10:18 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Welcome Tammy,
You're getting great advice here. You might also want to check in with the Tiffin specific site at A Part of the TiffinRVNetwork • Index page. I'm sure they can in and give you a lot of guidance. Also the fine folks at Tiffin service (256.356.0261) can usually give you the answers to a lot of your specific questions. Best of luck with getting your Allegro into the shape that you want it.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 06:50 PM   #8

ok found the LP yeee haww it has nothing in it is very rusted and a neighbor of mine is going to help me take a picture of it. We did get it to turn on and that is how we found it had no gas in it however there is this thing on it that looks like a male adapter would fit on it is that where I would place the extend a stay once i buy that? and yes I am overwhelmed but I LOVE IT~~I am going to take one day at a time. After all this is my home and everyone on this board has become my newest bestest friends.....I have one more question about leveling it anyone have thoughts on that? I have no jacks to use so it will have to work with blocks how many should i use and where should i place them so it doesn't move.? thanks everyone for the help... T