Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-01-2016, 08:44 AM   #15

From now on when you test you need to have the negative lead on the chassis.

okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2016, 06:34 PM   #16

The lead from the distributor is energizing that solenoid whenever the key is "on". I'm too tired at the moment to dig deeper into this but it would seem someone hooked up an automatic isolator circuit?

Old 09-02-2016, 12:07 PM   #17

I was thinking along the same lines but there is power there even if the ignition switch is in the off position. It seems the power is coming from the larger terminal connected to the battery. I need to test the solenoid I may have the magnetic switch inside stuck open.
Old 09-02-2016, 02:54 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsprving View Post
...... I need to test the solenoid....

That's 100% correct. I've already showed you how to test the isolator. I suspect you are not reading in reference to ground. The post on the side have "nothing" to do with energizing the coil.
Old 09-04-2016, 01:54 PM   #19

New testing

I have tested as explained with some further testing. With battery connected key in off position I have 12.6v to both sides of isolator 0 to center isolator terminal, normal. In testing connection to engine compartment continuous isolator connected to alternator I only have 10.6 volts. I have the same voltage to ignition switch in off position. When I turn the ignition switch my voltage drops to zero hence will not engage starter. Does th it should sound like ground issue, key issue or starter? I am still testing.
Old 09-04-2016, 02:42 PM   #20

Sounds like a battery cable connection being corroded.

When lightly loaded, voltage can pass thru. Add a load and the connection opens.

Start at the Pos cable on the battery and then every connection down to the starter motor.
A point, chassis battery power may come from a second large wire on the starter motor, battery post.

With cable off battery, loosen and tighten each connection you run across.

Then start with the neg. cable, doing the same thing.
Old 09-06-2016, 06:45 AM   #21

If you're trying to start the vehicle than you could disconnect the house battery while troubleshooting. If your hand drawn diagram is correct you have the battery going to both sides of one of the isolators.

You never answered, " How do you charge your batteries? "

Do as Twinboat said...... or else! I would just add since you mentioned the wires might not be where they should go. If you come to a solenoid and aren't sure about the status just connect the large wires together on one post for troubleshooting.

If I'm not mistaken most of this thread has been about the house battery? The house battery should likely only connect to the starter when the emergency/boost button is held.
Old 09-06-2016, 11:57 AM   #22

work continues

Well this weekend I had started to look at connections, what a mess I do not even know how it was bale to start at one point. There was so much buildup on the connections I just started clipping the ends and getting fresh wire and new connections added. I did not even try to just clean them there so much build up. I started at the isolator in the engine compartment connected to the alternator, did the battery engine ground and also the main ground strap. I was not able to get under the vehicle yet to check the starter connections. I have ordered 2 new battery isolator, they were original so I figured to be safe and I was getting some high resistance levels on the one isolator so it has been removed waiting on the new ones.

For now I do not have a house battery connected to any isolators, trying to work on the starter system to make sure that all works, would be nice just to get the starter to kick at this point or have headlights work to see I am making progress.

My drawing is just how I see the lines running. Yes one line from the battery to go the connection above the isolators and from the other side of the connection runs to the other side of the isolator.

As far as the charging I believe the white line that connects to the smaller isolator connection on the starter isolator that runs from the distributor(pink line) supplies voltage to the isolator which then supplies to the battery, in my picture the lower isolator. Does not seems right in my head though that power come from the distributor to charge.
Old 09-06-2016, 07:14 PM   #23

Wonder why electrical problems

These are what I am running into.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160906_173118.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	207.2 KB
ID:	138250  
Old 09-18-2016, 07:33 PM   #24

Success with first step

I have traced down the electrical issue. The connectors on the starter were loose. The wrong end wire connections were used the size wire by the former owner who changed the starter seloid when crimped did not fully connect the wires and the wires were easily pulled from the connector. I used the correct size for the wire an bank starts right up and when running I get a 14.07 volt reading back to the battery so charging is happening. Oh Happy Days. On to the next. Thanks for all the advice .
Old 09-19-2016, 08:56 PM   #25

Emergency start switch

Now that I have the chassis battery operating how would I wire the house so it get charged while engine running and when I press the emergency start switch use house battery to parnell with starter battery to start the rv. In my previous uploaded pick I have one wire to emergency switch connect ed to side terminal and one to center terminal.
Old 09-19-2016, 11:55 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsprving View Post
Now that I have the chassis battery operating how would I wire the house so it get charged while engine running and when I press the emergency start switch use house battery to parnell with starter battery to start the rv. In my previous uploaded pick I have one wire to emergency switch connect ed to side terminal and one to center terminal.

To get the house battery to charge when the chassis battery is being charged, you need a battery isolator (essentially it's just a solenoid) that adds the house battery to the charging circuit when the engine is running.

I don't have an immediate answer for your other question. I have that feature on my Montara, but have never used it.
BurienTimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 07:22 PM   #27

Maybe this will help....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	winnebago Dual-Norm-MOM.gif
Views:	23
Size:	10.5 KB
ID:	139479  
Old 09-20-2016, 10:55 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill06447 View Post