Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-22-2019, 04:52 PM   #1

1985 Ford Jamboree Fuel Tank

Hey everyone,

Does anyone have advice on where to buy a new fuel tank? I’ve discovered rust in the fuel tank as a result of it sitting for several years (typical). Any advice would be much appreciated.

It’s a 1985 E-350 Ford Jamboree 23ft with the 7.5L V8 460 gas engine. I believe the current tank has a 40 gallon capacity.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	244.8 KB
ID:	232794  
Link2Liberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2019, 07:45 PM   #2

Is it a Ford tank?

My 1977 Holiday Rambler had a simple square metal box for a fuel tank, it was not a Ford piece. Leaked out the top, and only held like 38 gallons. Didn't get me far at 7 or 8 MPG.

I replaced it with a later model ('96? - up) E350/E450 55 gallon tank. I got it at a local used truck parts place. Happened to be brand new, used for a few tests or something. I got the hanger straps with it. My frame rails were roughly the same as a newer model. Didn't bolt RIGHT in, but it wasn't hard as I recall (did it in 2000).

I know, not much help, but it was possible for me, maybe you can do something similar.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 07:57 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
I believe that radiator shops can boil out your tank, and pressure test it. Eddie Elk.
1998 Pace Arrow Vision 36' w/460, '03 Honda CRV, FMCA #388823, Gateway Getaways RV Club
eddieelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 04:52 AM   #4

Thanks for the input. I’m pretty sure mine is not a Ford part; it’s a square box similar to what you’re describing.

I’ll shop around at some local parts stores.
Link2Liberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 09:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Link2Liberty View Post
Hey everyone,

Does anyone have advice on where to buy a new fuel tank? I’ve discovered rust in the fuel tank as a result of it sitting for several years (typical). Any advice would be much appreciated.

It’s a 1985 E-350 Ford Jamboree 23ft with the 7.5L V8 460 gas engine. I believe the current tank has a 40 gallon capacity.
Some of the class C units used the stock tanks, some used custom tanks. My class A used a custom tank. My friends 1988 Ford Class C used the dual tank setup out of a pickup. If yours uses a factory stock tank it may be cheaper to get a replacement from a junkyard. If yours is a custom then it's a whole different situation.

A lot of the custom tanks in RVs were made as cheap as possible while still meeting the safety specs. Some don't even have a drain plug. If you end up having a new tank made this is a good time to make any changes - like thicker metal or adding a drain plug.

If you are local to southern California there is a company that has made several custom tanks for a friends construction company - secondary tanks for trucks, graders and bulldozers or replacement tanks for on-site generators (the plastic tanks they come with just don't hold up). The company is Aero Tanks, located at 455 South G Street, San Bernardino, CA 92410, (909) 388-0002. Email is info@aerotanks.com

Tags
ford, fuel, jamboree, replace, replacement, tank