Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-08-2011, 06:08 PM   #1

1985 Georgie Boy...help I know nothing

Ok my wife and I started camping a couple years ago we got a pop-up and enjoyed it. We talked about getting a motorhome someday.

Well I guess today was the day. I cam home from work and my wife had purchased a 1985 Georgie Boy.

In runs/drives nice. no signs of leakage, needs a good cleaning inside and out but it is pretty nice and will be a nice for us + Kids + dogs .

Problem is I KNOW NOTHING, and I mean NOTHING.

There is a generator....No idea how to start it.

Theres a bathroom, no idea about holding tanks, waste tanks etc.

Furnace + Roof Air. Yep it has them..AGAIN NO IDEA what-so-ever how to use them.

Im trying hard not to strangle her for getting it without some consultation.

it has a 454 runs and handles real nice , I found where the gas tank was right away

Our 16 yr old son and 13 yr old daughter are super excited. I like it but DAM

So any pointers will be great. Im going out to start cleaning and looking at stuff
jimzz2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2011, 06:24 PM   #2

Great!

This made me start wondering- is there one of those books, "RVing for Dummies?" You will love learning about you " new" mobile domicile! Dan
Dansspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 07:36 PM   #3

I got a 30 amp to 15 amp plug convertor and plugged it into the house. interior lights all work 2 furnaces started and are blowing hot air.

rear roof a/c works. the front a/c wouldnt do anything. would this one be hooked up differently.

I had the Batteries disconnected so everything was working of of house current that I tried.

any suggestions of what i need to do to fire up the generator?

when is the generator needed? we will always be campground w/electical hook up camping so not sure if the generator is a nececity.

again any pointers will be appreciated
Old 04-08-2011, 08:04 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think you can run both AC's at the same time on a 30Amp coach.
Generator is needed when you don't have shore power and you want to use any of the 110V appliances or charge the batteries for the coach.

Have fun,
Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 08:16 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
great all you need is this IRV site to teach you everthing you need to know, just start reading everything you can. Thats what I did, I didnt even have a manual at first on my 91 sportcoach. I have one now tho, helps a little. Welcome to the site! try starting here..

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f65
Old 04-09-2011, 09:43 AM   #6

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimzz2001 View Post

when is the generator needed? we will always be campground w/electical hook up camping so not sure if the generator is a nececity.

again any pointers will be appreciated
welcome to the IRV2 family, if you only camp. At campgrounds you are really missing out on some wonderful adventures.
We spend more time boon docking than at CG's for 2 reasons, free to boon dock and your closer to nature.

The generator powers your roof air while driving in hot weather and also allows for meals to be made while driving down the road.( not the driver,they stay behind the wheel. )
As all of us once were new to our rigs, I suggest you start by learning each system, make notes and even stickers or a map of your MH. Search the forums for the specific item your looking for. There are great people on this site and many are true experts in modification repair and diagnosing issues.
4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 09:43 AM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
As stated previously, on 30amp shore power, only one of your 2 air conditioners can run at a time.

With 2 a/cs in your coach, there should be a switch somewhere (ours is in a cupboard up by the front a/c) that says Front/Off /Rear or similar. This will switch power between the front and back units.

There may be a switch on your dash, as well as the one on the gennie to start it. Is your generator an Onan? You can get Onan help here Cummins Onan

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 05:09 PM   #8

Senior Chief you are right on. I just signed on to report what I had found out and seen you post.

There is a switch that prevents microwave and front A/C running at the same time.

SO we figured a lot out today. 2 furnaces work good, 2 roof top a/c's work good. all lights in working order.

Did a good cleaning and emptied out the pop-up camper. Wife is now organizing everything in the Motorhome..DAM the pop-up had a lot of storage. couldnt believe every nook and cranny she had sporting goods, tools, extension cords, pots/pans. Hope she remembers where she puts it all in the motorhome.

Only things I have not figured out so far. No fuel to the generator.. We will have to take and fill the tank and see if that helps getting fuel to the gen-set. Can't hear the fuel pump doing anything, havent checked it for power yet. trying to find a manual online for the onan 6.5nh-3cr/1600 Genset. That would sure help in figuring out how to start it.

Dash radio is an aftermarket one. Not working, so eventually I will take it out and see if there is power, if so it is a cheapo to replace.

will probably take out the carpet and replace with a solid surface for easy cleaning. did Linoleum in the pop-up and loved how nice it looked and easy to maintain.

Any suggestions on flooring? or where to find a genset manual.

just re-read senior-chief's post...missed the link the 1st time....time to read up on my onan genset
thanks again

Jim
Old 04-09-2011, 05:23 PM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
yes, fill the tank and then try your generator. Your generator fuel pick-up will not go below about a quarter tank of gas- that's to prevent your gennie from draining the fuel tank dry.

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 05:31 PM   #10

ok more confusion. I looked at the site for ONAN manuals not sure what model I have. letters dont match the drop down options
here is what is on mine
Mcgraw-Edison
Onan 6.5 RV
Genset

Model/spec #
5NH-3CR/16004R

Serial #
A853 867866

any help deciphering to find a manual?

thanks again
Old 04-09-2011, 05:46 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
I have manuals for 6.5 NH 3C R 16004 M. If you have 2 A/Cs you should have 6.5. According to Onan 6.5= kWs. NH= Series, 3= voltage code, R= remote starting, 16004= factory code, M= factory mods.
Fuel pump as well as choke are electric..you should see 12vdc(approx) at pump during start cycle even if it won't start. You will need at least 1/4 fuel in tank to feed gen. The line from fuel tank to Gen. must be leak proof as well as a clean in line filter as Onan won't pull very strong.
Your gen as well as coach are easy to troubleshoot as well as your 454. Your wife probably found you a good coach. IMHO
good luck
bigskymt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 05:58 PM   #12

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Look in the files section of this site, I uploaded the Onan Generator service manual. All you need do is download and read at your leasure. Should be the correct manual
http://www.irv2.com/forums/downloads.php?do=cat&id=5
4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 06:01 PM   #13
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimzz2001 View Post

Well I guess today was the day. I cam home from work and my wife had purchased a 1985 Georgie Boy.
At least I caught mine before she did the paperwork not that it made any real difference

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dansspirit View Post
This made me start wondering- is there one of those books, "RVing for Dummies?"
I found that book right here for me, pictures included and I even get to write in it.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 06:09 PM   #14

know how you feel

been in same boat my self, ck in the generator compartment should have switch and possibly a green light the green light will come and stay on when gen set is running, should also have a start switch in coach ,ck the oil and see if it will start mine starts off the coach battery. if it starts don't panic if it takes thirty seconds or so before it powers the coach mine has a warm up cycle built in to let it stabilize before taking the load.
ck your hoses,belts and tires for signs of deterioration make sure they are aired to proper psi .
good luck and enjoy

frank,cricket and harley the dog
pwf16129 is offline   Reply With Quote