Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-07-2015, 09:47 AM   #29

We're going to use her for the first time next weekend, so I checked tire and airbag pressures yesterday before heading to the gas station. Left rear inner tire was completely flat. I don't have enough air hose to reach ~150' from the garage to her parking spot, so I had to drag the compressor out to her. Started filling and was hearing the air escaping as fast as I was putting in it. Thank goodness she has hydraulic levelers! Pulled the outer tire expecting to find the inner with a broken bead, but the issue was the ancient valve extension. Tire filled fine once that was removed. I have a set of airless extensions that will be installed next Spring.
After getting all the tire pressures and front airbag pressures set, she drove beautifully on the trip to get fuel. Only issue left to address (knocking on wood) is a slight coolant leak from the overflow; old spring clamp is no good, will replace with a new hose clamp today. I'll be rechecking the air pressures Thur night to make sure all is good.
Engine temps were great as well. I just installed a new temp sender and gauge. She ran 180*, climbing to ~200* on longer uphill stretches. Once past the hill she cooled quickly back to 180*.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2015, 11:18 AM   #30

OK, we used her over the weekend and learned a few things. If the thermostat is set to 70*, the bedroom will be approx lava hot. I need to replace the furnace blower motor. It works great for a cycle or two, but then starts to squeak a little, which gets louder over time. The refrigerator door needs some kind of external lock/safety. Hit a large bump/hole in a right hand curve and the door flew open, launching eight beer bottles to their death, yielding a good beer cleaning of the wood floor. Beer is good for cooking brats, but I'm not sure how good it is for wood floors.

RV/short queen beds are really short.

I also had to replace the radiator cap. It would eject coolant into the overflow reservoir when hot, but wouldn't pull it back as it cooled. I replaced the cap and it seems to work as it should now.

The PO replaced the front coil springs and airbags. The left side loses pressure slowly (~10psi/week), but the right side airbag loses all pressure quickly (overnight), so I'll have to check the right side hose & connections. I definitely notice the difference when the right side has bled all the way down.

The bedroom blackout curtains our daughter made for us work great!

Old 09-17-2015, 03:08 AM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
One thing you can do for the short RV queen, is slide it away from the wall 4'' and find something to fit in the gap, (a rolled up blanket) is what we used, worked great! Rail!
Old 09-17-2015, 02:52 PM   #32

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 429CV23 View Post
OK, we used her over the weekend and learned a few things. If the thermostat is set to 70*, the bedroom will be approx lava hot. I need to replace the furnace blower motor. It works great for a cycle or two, but then starts to squeak a little, which gets louder over time. The refrigerator door needs some kind of external lock/safety. Hit a large bump/hole in a right hand curve and the door flew open, launching eight beer bottles to their death, yielding a good beer cleaning of the wood floor. Beer is good for cooking brats, but I'm not sure how good it is for wood floors.

RV/short queen beds are really short.

I also had to replace the radiator cap. It would eject coolant into the overflow reservoir when hot, but wouldn't pull it back as it cooled. I replaced the cap and it seems to work as it should now.

The PO replaced the front coil springs and airbags. The left side loses pressure slowly (~10psi/week), but the right side airbag loses all pressure quickly (overnight), so I'll have to check the right side hose & connections. I definitely notice the difference when the right side has bled all the way down.

The bedroom blackout curtains our daughter made for us work great!
I had that problem with my fridge too I can't tell ya how many times it flew open. There was a plastic one it when I bought it. I installed a slide lock like you would use on a door. I mounted it along with the plastic one so it actually locks the plastic lock also.
http://caledonianmercury.com/wp-cont.../Door-Bolt.jpg
Hope this shows. I have it mounted on the edge of the fridge door. It will also lock the freezer door
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 10:24 AM   #33

Thanks for the ideas guys.
I did pick up a set of bars for the refrigerator, but I'm doubting they'll do the trick.
I'll have a while to figure these out; winterized her yesterday. I may use her for 4-5days during Spring Break to go watch a few Cubbies games in Az.

Gotta get the cruise control system I picked up last week installed before any longer trips!
Old 12-20-2015, 09:25 PM   #34

Did a little bit of work on her today. Figured out the dash AC/Heat controls, mostly. Some knucklehead had the vacuum hoses all screwed up, and no vacuum source! Sometime in the past all the dash AC components were removed from the engine, so some of the control settings make no difference, but I got vent, heat (floor) and defrost straightened out. The defrost doesn't work on the passenger side, so I need to figure out how to get the upper passenger side dash apart to gain better access to the plenum. There is no floor feed to the driver side, so I'll have to T into the passenger side hose.
Also got a new stereo wired up, but am waiting until the AC/heater issues are finished before getting it installed in the dash.

Also ordered new headlights for her. Got a kit with (4) 4"x6" headlights with glass lenses and a low-beam HID kit. I'll have to pick up a pair of H4 lamps for the high beams. We'll see how the HIDs work without true projector lenses.
Old 12-29-2015, 09:17 PM   #35

Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
On the heater... Those fan bearings will quiet down with a little oil.... Supposed to be normal maintenance but depending on how hard it is to get too some have never been touched.
dmurdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 02:27 PM   #36

My heater was also making a lot of noise, so I took it out thinking I would be able to lube the bearings. Turns out the bearings were Sealed Bearings and Not serviceable. It also took a major disassemble to get to them for replacement. I did fix it but took it out later as it used massive amounts of propane for the amount of heat in return. We're fulltimers and try to stay within a comfortable temperature zone now and use the methods earlier described earlier in this conversation.
Old 12-30-2015, 08:52 PM   #37

Jpony, just wanted to give you a quick thank you. I love what you did with the dinette in your RV. I'm a full-timer too and have felt for some time that my dinette was a terrible waste of space.

Steve
Old 01-01-2016, 12:36 PM   #38

lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by 429CV23 View Post
Did a little bit of work on her today. Figured out the dash AC/Heat controls, mostly. Some knucklehead had the vacuum hoses all screwed up, and no vacuum source! Sometime in the past all the dash AC components were removed from the engine, so some of the control settings make no difference, but I got vent, heat (floor) and defrost straightened out. The defrost doesn't work on the passenger side, so I need to figure out how to get the upper passenger side dash apart to gain better access to the plenum. There is no floor feed to the driver side, so I'll have to T into the passenger side hose.
Also got a new stereo wired up, but am waiting until the AC/heater issues are finished before getting it installed in the dash.

Also ordered new headlights for her. Got a kit with (4) 4"x6" headlights with glass lenses and a low-beam HID kit. I'll have to pick up a pair of H4 lamps for the high beams. We'll see how the HIDs work without true projector lenses.
I'm wanting to upgrade my headlights with something like you are describing, let us know how they work out
Old 02-21-2016, 05:42 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano56 View Post
I'm wanting to upgrade my headlights with something like you are describing, let us know how they work out
A while back I attempted to install the HID low beam assemblies. The lamp seat & locking ring on the rear of the lamp assy is too large to install all the way, so I'll need to enlarge the housing when the weather warms up bit more without gale force wind.

I did get a start on updating the kitchen walls, and got the stereo installed.

Old 04-09-2016, 09:15 PM   #40

I finally got the HIDs installed and the kitchen walls done. Not really happy with the kitchen walls, but they look much better than they did, and she's now ready to hit craigslist. Here's before/after pics of the kitchen.
I wish I had used the smaller, mosaic tiles for the entire project.