Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-09-2017, 04:24 PM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
Oh

Didn’t realize there was 4 ft overhang from the factory. Good to go!
Chargerman is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2017, 04:29 PM   #30

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Loading from the side is how Newmar built their All Star and Canyon Star toy haulers for a time. They went back to the rear load design used yet today. They tried several designs actually. But I believe you're on the right track with side load for the reasons you give. I'm sure that was the same thinking Newmar had with the side load design as well.

Also, this has probably fully occurred to you.....but the picture in my mind of what Harv was speaking about regarding the adjustable axles......is like the tandems on a semi trailer. Adjustable with notches/pins forward and rearward. Not sure if that's exactly what Harv was talking about, but it's what hit my mind anyway....

W.D.
Roadmaster Nighthawk II, 2011 Lincoln MKX.
2012 Newmar Canyon Star (first coach) FMCA F428511.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 04:58 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargerman View Post
Oh

Didn’t realize there was 4 ft overhang from the factory. Good to go!
Originally the body went all the way to the back of the frame from the factory but when trying to figure out a way to make it into a toy hauler I decided the best way to do so was to cut off 4-5 feet of living space and add 4ish feet of frame to accommodate the toys from the outside instead of the conventional way of hauling them inside.
Rmaclagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 05:04 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electra 225 View Post
Loading from the side is how Newmar built their All Star and Canyon Star toy haulers for a time. They went back to the rear load design used yet today. They tried several designs actually. But I believe you're on the right track with side load for the reasons you give. I'm sure that was the same thinking Newmar had with the side load design as well.

Also, this has probably fully occurred to you.....but the picture in my mind of what Harv was speaking about regarding the adjustable axles......is like the tandems on a semi trailer. Adjustable with notches/pins forward and rearward. Not sure if that's exactly what Harv was talking about, but it's what hit my mind anyway....

W.D.
I’ll have to checkout those designs. I like the rear loaders but prefer loading from the side. I recently built a utility trailer that will accommodate 2 quads loaded from the rear or 3 full size and a smaller one from the side and reall like how it all looks and rides.

That was the picture I had in mind with Harv’s suggestion as well. I think it’s a great idea and can see where it could come in handy along the road. Especially on longer trips or if one day we decided that we wanted to tour the country in it. I’m going to keep that idea in mind when I’m planning the replacement of the axles for sure!
Old 12-09-2017, 05:12 PM   #33

Quote:

W.D.
That was exactly what I was thinking. It's amazing the difference a couple of feet can make in wheelbase when moving a trailer around in tight spaces.

As for the side load vs the end load, why not have both options? Keep in mind most of the of the high end toyhaulers with side loading is about Harley's and Geldwings. It's about driving them in from one side and then driving them out the other side. I haven't seen one with a powered turnstile for turning them around inside. And you could sell tickets for watching an owner trying to swap ends otherwise.
Old 12-09-2017, 05:14 PM   #34

Quote:
Just checked those models out and they are pretty cool. Especially the All Star model with two slide outs to pull your bikes in. That’s pretty ingenious really. When I was coming up with my plans to build from scratch I really wanted a separate garage area with a side load that was sectioned off from the rest of the living area but still enclosed. After I changed to a remodel of this 5th wheel I tried to figure out a way to make that happen but it would’ve required a whole lot of reengineering of the body IOT get the width I would’ve needed so I said the hell with it and went this route instead. If I ever decide I want to build from scratch again I will definitely incorporate the garage space into my designated because there are a lot of other things it can be used for other than just a garage.
Old 12-09-2017, 05:16 PM   #35

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
You can find those Newmar designs on the Newmar website in the brochures archive under the owners tab.
The other design they tried was, both left and right sides came out like a slideout with the front and back walls omitted. Designed with motorcycles in mind, you would then drive your cycle up the ramp into the slideout, secure, and close up. You'll see it in the brochures, it's interesting.

EDIT: whoops, guess you've already been there while I was typing! [emoji1] [emoji1]
Old 12-09-2017, 05:22 PM   #36

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wroughtnharv View Post
That was exactly what I was thinking. It's amazing the difference a couple of feet can make in wheelbase when moving a trailer around in tight spaces.

As for the side load vs the end load, why not have both options? Keep in mind most of the of the high end toyhaulers with side loading is about Harley's and Geldwings. It's about driving them in from one side and then driving them out the other side. I haven't seen one with a powered turnstile for turning them around inside. And you could sell tickets for watching an owner trying to swap ends otherwise.
That's a neat idea Harv! I like that turnstile idea, and the (both side and back) option. Great imagination, which leads to great innovation. [emoji106]
Old 12-09-2017, 05:26 PM   #37

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmaclagan View Post
If I ever decide I want to build from scratch again I will definitely incorporate the garage space into my designated because there are a lot of other things it can be used for other than just a garage.
Yup, you just hit on another design you might have noticed in the All Star brochures. They called one option of several offered, the "Imagination Room". Meaning exactly that, a room for anything other than a garage.
Old 12-09-2017, 05:27 PM   #38

Quote:
That's a neat idea Harv! I like that turnstile idea, and the (both side and back) option. Great imagination, which leads to great innovation. [emoji106]
I second that!
Old 12-12-2017, 11:45 AM   #39

Whelp...i got a little bit more done last night. Pulled off the rest of the lower sheet metal making the curves and closing off the frame, pulled all of the compartment doors (all in pretty bad shape so I can add new ones to the list of needs), and dropped the gray and black water tanks. I think tonight I’ll pull the remaining windows and the lower front sheet metal (enclosing the generator compartment) and then I’ll be ready to pull the body off of the frame once I can get a few buddies over to help lift it off. Moving along nicely now.

Has anyone ever had to remove the ABS fittings from their tanks to move or replace them? I’m wondering if there’s an easier/faster way to accomplish this without having to go at it with a dremel, screwdriver, and pliers. 🤔 I don’t want to use heat because I’m worried it will melt the ABS faster than loosening the glue holding it on. Any ideas??
Old 12-12-2017, 02:28 PM   #40

Monaco Owners Club
Maybe easier to cut the pipe above the fitting enough so that you can put an elbow or coupling fitting there once you know the layout?
Chargerman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 03:32 PM   #41

I’m going to try that but they didn’t leave a lot of room on there for future work to be done. Lol guess they didn’t expect someone to try remodeling it 32 years later. ����*♂️
Old 12-13-2017, 03:55 PM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmaclagan View Post
This is my vision for the completed project, probably should’ve posted this sooner though . Don’t mind the picture, if I was an artist I wouldn’t have become a Soldier. Haha

I chose to do an outside hauler because the width of the trailer was 8” short and the curvature wouldn’t allow for a more stock looking flow of the overall trailer. I will have 11’ in the bedroom area at the front, a 3’ step down after that for the electrical bay (in the old generator bay), and then 20.5’ of living space after that on the interior. The deck on the back will be for the toys and hauling along with storage overhead along the back wall. the dimensions will be 8’ wide and 9’ long setup basically like a utility trailer. The quads will be side loaded.

Hope this paints a pretty good picture for everyone. If you have any input I’m all ears! Quite literally if you ever see me too
There was a time where Newmar had some problems with the overhang from bedroom floor to the main box at that right angle in your picture. Sidewalls would crack in that corner and they had to remove siding to weld plates for reinforcement in that corner.
I'am not sure when it was but you may want to check that corner for any looks of flexing of main frame.
Not sure it was ever discussed in the 5th wheel Newmar group I gave you but you could do a search of Newmar forum new search engine may have some old threads on fix.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, newmar