Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-17-2016, 03:43 PM   #1

1985 Pace Arrow no power on generator

Currently running the Onan 6.5 NH 3CR 16004P generator and using the original Progressive Dynamic panel and converter. While on shore power all works fine. When I disconnect shore power and crank generator nothing has power. The generator has 3 wires in a junction box that come to this panel. 1 black hot wire, one white neutral and a ground. The hot black connects via wire nut to a black and red wire that go inside. When I turn off gen and connect shore power I hear a click in the PD panel but not when I try to run gen. Also with gen running I am getting 150v output which seems high. On the PD panel it shows via a schematic the black wire coming in goes to a time relay. Do I have too much voltage and this is why the relay will not switch or is this PD have a faulty ATS?

Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	365.3 KB
ID:	116720  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2016, 03:45 PM   #2

Pic attached
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	286.4 KB
ID:	116724  

Old 01-17-2016, 08:03 PM   #3

............If the power cord is plugged into shore power , and the shore power quits , does the transfer switch automatically start the generator ?
............It is normal for a generator to show a higher voltage under a no load condition , once loads start receiving power the voltage will drop and the generator will try to increase it's RPM to maintain an acceptable level of voltage as long as the combined loads don't exceed the maximum wattage of the gen set .
.............Voltage and current operate Inversely..............if the voltage goes down the current will rise , which at some point will cause the contacts to heat up , which causes the resistance to increase which increases more current and eventually you have a fire , unless the circuit breaker(s) , pop .
.............When the gen set is supplying power , ALL the loads are receiving power through the ONE metal connector . IF the genset is operating at it's rated output , the power cord to the transfer switch should be getting very warm . I'd check the contacts on all circuit breakers on the generator side of the transfer switch and verify their integrity . , santex
Old 01-17-2016, 08:10 PM   #4

Thanks! When shore power drops there is no attempt to start the generator. I understand the other comments. Do you have any info on where the ATS is located on the unit I have?
Old 01-17-2016, 08:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin1991 View Post
Thanks! When shore power drops there is no attempt to start the generator. I understand the other comments. Do you have any info on where the ATS is located on the unit I have?
..........Sorry , can't help you there . I would think that the ATS would be located in close proximity to your breaker panel ! If you can trace the large 3 conductor cable coming from the genset it should be terminated at the ATS . , santex

Tags
ace, generator, pace arrow, power