Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-11-2019, 04:09 PM   #1

1985 Travelcraft: Project #1: Roof Leaks

When I picked this Class C motor home up, it was obvious that there were a few issues with the roof. I could see some staining in a few spots on the ceiling, but fortunately not enough damage to warrant replacing ceiling panels, at least not yet.

First step has been to scrub the roof. It is so neglected that I have only been able to clean about an 18" swath across the roof before I have to dump the rinse water and get fresh. The roof itself appears to be either aluminum or galvanized steel with a very thin layer of some sort of rubberized coating on it. In a few spots, that thin coating is peeling off, as can be seen in one of the attached pics. The major problems though appear to be at the TV antenna mount and around the perimeter where the roof meets the sidewalls, as can be seen as well in the pics.

As a complete novice at getting the roof watertight, I am looking for recommendations from others about the best approach here. Should I completely strip the roof, including the perimeter seal, and start over? Or can I feather the edges of the bad spots and then reseal over the existing materials? In either case what about processes and new materials? (At my age, I don't want to be doing this again!)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1985 Travelcraft Roof Project_ 002.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	334.9 KB
ID:	263293   Click image for larger version

Name:	1985 Travelcraft Roof Project_ 003.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	390.7 KB
ID:	263294  

Name:	1985 Travelcraft Roof Project_ 006.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	423.0 KB
ID:	263295   Click image for larger version

Name:	1985 Travelcraft Roof Project_ 007.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	331.6 KB
ID:	263296  

Name:	1985 Travelcraft Roof Project_ 008.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	357.3 KB
ID:	263297  
LPBolens is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2019, 08:54 PM   #2

If your not goin to replace the roof then the next best is to remove the old sealer and grind clean then coat the entire roof. With metal roofs that age there is likely electrolysis in the metal and it will leak through the small holes that are created by the electrolysis
Southern-Rv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 08:58 AM   #3

You will need to either remove the existing coating or at the very least determine what the coating is made of. If it is silicone, then basically nothing will stick to it.

I recently recoated an aluminum roof on my motor home with a two-part liquid EPDM product. My roof looked a lot like yours when I started and I removed all of the existing coating. I used a wire cup wheel on an angle grinder. It was a lot of work, but now I have a good-looking leak free roof.

I posted several photos of the process in my rebuild thread on this site.
Brob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, leaks, roof, travel