Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-11-2013, 07:27 PM   #1

1986 Allegro Alternator

Does anyone know what alternator goes into a 1986 Allegro? Mechanic ripped out the old one and put in a new one (that doesn't work..it was only 70amps) and turned in the core. I need to find one that works. 100 amps?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2013, 07:43 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
It would help to know what chassis and the model of the chassis. Chevrolet,Ford, or other.

az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 03:11 PM   #3

Its an 86 p30 454 chassis. I tried advanced auto and they had a 78 ago alternator. I know this won't work. Just wondering the minimum amperage needed.
Old 10-12-2013, 03:11 PM   #4

chevy
Old 10-12-2013, 06:01 PM   #5

The 78 amp will work, it will just take more time to charge than an larger alternator. Do you do a lot of dry camping, have a big battery bank?

105 amp is probably what it originally had on it.
Old 10-12-2013, 09:00 PM   #6

Thats what he put in it and it wouldn't charge. Ran the MH around town for a bit. Was at 12.4v on the voltmeter, and it went down to 11.9. So 100 amp should work? I'm going to order one from advanced tomorrow if I can't find anything else that says otherwise. I appreciate all your help. If anyone else has the specific part number, I'd appreciate it. Once again, I appreciate it guys. Have a good weekend!
Old 10-12-2013, 11:30 PM   #7

Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by elstonek View Post
Thats what he put in it and it wouldn't charge. Ran the MH around town for a bit. Was at 12.4v on the voltmeter, and it went down to 11.9. So 100 amp should work? I'm going to order one from advanced tomorrow if I can't find anything else that says otherwise. I appreciate all your help. If anyone else has the specific part number, I'd appreciate it. Once again, I appreciate it guys. Have a good weekend!
You have another problem then. The amperage on the alternator has nothing to do with charging or not. Only the rate at which it charges.
On a 10si or 12si Delco, the only difference between a 43 amp and a 100 amp is the stator.
Either you got a bad alternator, or the mechanic didn't get it connected right.
Take the one the mechanic installed off and have it tested, if it's not fried, you have other issues. If it's fried, you may still have issues, but you'll have a good starting point.
All electrical parts come with smoke in them, once you let it out, they are junk.

As far as amperage goes, any of them will work, just the higher the amperage, the better it will work. If I where you, I'd try to get somewhere around 70 or more amps.
You should definitely have yours checked before you do anything though, it could be something simple like a wire disconnected or loose.
Old 10-12-2013, 11:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Thats what he put in it and it wouldn't charge. Ran the MH around town for a bit. Was at 12.4v on the voltmeter, and it went down to 11.9.!
You have a defective alternator! Or shorted battey cell?
Old 10-13-2013, 07:30 AM   #9

Did the mechanic do a load test on the battery?

It's possible the alternator is bad but as it's a rebuild not real likely. More likely is corrosion, a solid state isolator, or 'modification' by a previous owner.

Check the voltage at the alternator while it's not running, start it and if the voltage increases it's most likely good.

Before you buy another alternator you need to figure out what the real problem is, an engine of that year running, lights, radio, heater/air is only going to going to draw 25 amps, there is plenty of power from the alternator to charge batteries. If the voltage is dropping you almost certainly have another problem, or the possibility needs to be eliminated before throwing more money at it.
Old 10-13-2013, 08:02 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
130 to 160 AMP works better on a MH with a chassis and pairs of 2 or more 6V house batteries.
Triker56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 03:43 PM   #11

Everything works now. The alternator was cut off to the battery at the faulty battery isolator. Apparently alternators go crazy when not hooked up to a load. As soon as i bypassed the isolator she started charging.
Old 10-15-2013, 08:40 PM   #12

Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Everything works now. The alternator was cut off to the battery at the faulty battery isolator. Apparently alternators go crazy when not hooked up to a load. As soon as i bypassed the isolator she started charging.
Glad you got it going!

Yeah, if an alternator doesn't sense enough voltage while running it will usually put out 60 volts or something like that.
Old 10-30-2013, 02:42 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
When I have problems with my "86 Allegro, I call Tiffin Motor Homes (256)356-8661. Talk to Don or Brent, both are great guys and they worked on the line back in the 80's and 90's.
TEFFY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 03:46 PM   #14

Do you have pictures of the alt? What mount/connections it needs. I can look at work for a stronger one and get you a part number.

Tags
alternator