Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:14 AM   #15
Fleetwood Owners Club
I'm reading all the post

get ER Service. Best
one tow could make your investment a poor one

Ron & Katie / N6CUS (Extra Class) Ham Monitor 146.520 MHZ
2008 Discovery 40X DP - Toad 2014 Chevy Silverado
N6CUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2010, 04:38 AM   #16
Almost ready to hit the road

The 600+ mile adventure begins Friday morning at 6:12 am! Six one way Amtrak tickets (wife, two grand-kids, daughter and sun-in-law) to Dearborn Michigan! Arrival at 6:20 pm. Booked two rooms at the Holiday Inn Express! The shop is servicing and changing fluids, filters, lub, belts etc. and the paper work is ready Saturday morning we will pick up Vintage (OLD) Fleetwood, Bounder and head for home! I,ll update this post when we get home and tell you all the horror or joy stories! Thanks again for all your help. Ed

troedw44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 07:57 AM   #17
Mission acomplished! Now; Let the work begin

We picked up the old Bounder, Saturday and started the 600+ mile trip home, at about 4;00 pm. The only work, the garage had completed was the changing of the oil! But we had no choice but to start for home. We drove 7 blocks and pulled into a station to gas up. when we went to start the motor, nothing happened, when the switch was turned to start, (no sound, click, or response of any kind) the battery cable was found to be lose at the starter, so after tightening it up (with borrowed tools) and every thing worked fine!
We had a very comfortable and uneventful ride home. This was our family's first adventure, in a motor home, and we found it to be great fun and a very enjoyable way to travail! We even found time for a little side trip to Dickson Mounds Museum @ Lewistown Ill.
We pulled the front bumper off last night and sent it with my son to repair and pant, as it was a real eye sore. So let the learning and work begin.
troedw44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 09:06 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Congratulations on your first journey!

Too bad the garage hadn't finished their work but it sounds like everything ended up fine.... just make sure this is the last trip you take without having at least some basic tools with you.

Rick, Nancy, Peanut & Lola our Westie Dogs & Bailey the Sheltie.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 06:27 AM   #19
Thanks for posting the results...I was curious as to the outcome.
Glad you and yours made it home safely. I would comment you were fortunate to have only a small issue.
You will find taking along tools and spare parts for likely breakdowns a good idea.
We keep spare oil/air/fuel filters. 1 qt oil. Windshield wiper refills. Fan belt. Fuses. A roll of duct tape. Small roll of 14 gauge shielded wire. Electrical tape. Assorted zip ties. Bungee cords. Tool box w enough to handle most things I could attempt.

Take care and have fun.
Kountry87Air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 12:06 PM   #20
Thanks for the update. I'm glad you got a nice motorhome that runs. I wish my first trip had gone that smooth. You snagged a pretty good deal. I have a friend with a motorhome just like yours. It is pretty sweet in that whoever designed it knew what people wanted in the way of convience. You have an instrument panel that tilts up for easy access to wiring and gauges, many of the coach switches are at eye level and easy to reach. I have to lay down on the floor for many of mine. The sink in the bedroom is a nice touch. Good luck with it. Keep us posted on how it is progressing. I'm sure you have only touched the surface with what all you are going to have to do. Don't wait too long to winterize it. Today is about the last of the good weather here in Missouri.

QuietWater is offline   Reply With Quote